I don't get it?

Options
Hi everyone!

I started using this app on my Android phone over the weekend, and have to say it's a fantastic app and loving my attempt at getting more trim. Something I don't understand though. After I have finished for the day and clicked 'Complete' it says I will be such and such a weight in 5 weeks based on what i've done that day. But both days so far I have been under my calorie limit, yet the figure it's stating - although a 9lb loss which would be good for me in 5 weeks, it's 9lb higher than it initially told me I should be. Is it that even though i'm under calories, it's the wrong foods i'm consuming?

Any help greatly appreciated!

PS I am thoroughly enjoying reading people's success stories, it gives me real hope that I can achieve my goal.

FYI I am a 32 year old male (33 next month) weighing 12st 7lb, with a height of 5'5 and trying to get to 11st. I am quite stocky though and don't believe I am massively fat, but do have a fair size belly - everywhere else, legs, arms, bum all in good shape.

Replies

• portalm
    portalm Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    A Few more details would be helpful. Like how much weight per week you set your calories too. How much you are eating and how much you are under.

All food is, is energy. This being said If you put less than what you take to sustain your weight, you will lose. If you go with less than what MFP told you to adaquetely lose weight, you will lose faster. This being said 9 pounds in 5 weeks is good and healthy weight loss. A little fast espeically if you put only 1 pound per week.

All and all healthy eating is a life style to be maintained. If you have extra calories treat yourself. If not then dont. If you dont like to treat yourself and still have those extra calories then you will lose a little bit more weight.

That in 5 weeks you will weigh, is if every day was like the day you just logged. So if you consistantly eat under you will lose more than intended.
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    That estimate when you close out is 5 weeks from the day you close out. All other days prior fall off and aren't counted in the figure.
  • Quasita
    Quasita Posts: 1,530 Member
    Options
    The 5 week estimate at the end of the day is just a projected number. You should use it as a guide for setting proper goals and knowing if you're working in the right direction. That is not the amount of time MFP thinks it will take you to hit goal. If it's a 9lb loss and you have 9 more after that, it means you are going to be halfway to goal after 5 weeks, approximately, if you continue eating the deficit you are eating. That doesn't take into account body structure, food quality, fudging, or the fact that you might overeat at times. It is only an estimate, not a rule.
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Yea I just ignore that number - it's the number that you would be if our bodies followed all the rules and worked how we expect but in reality thats never going to happen! Its just nonsense really! If I'd lost what it thought I was going to I'd be at goal by now but I'm only half way there!

Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll get there. Stay around your calorie goal with healthy food and plenty of exercise and you'll lose it slowly and steadily which is the best way to do it. xx
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I started using this app on my Android phone over the weekend, and have to say it's a fantastic app and loving my attempt at getting more trim. Something I don't understand though. After I have finished for the day and clicked 'Complete' it says I will be such and such a weight in 5 weeks based on what i've done that day. But both days so far I have been under my calorie limit, yet the figure it's stating - although a 9lb loss which would be good for me in 5 weeks, it's 9lb higher than it initially told me I should be. Is it that even though i'm under calories, it's the wrong foods i'm consuming?

Any help greatly appreciated!

PS I am thoroughly enjoying reading people's success stories, it gives me real hope that I can achieve my goal.

FYI I am a 32 year old male (33 next month) weighing 12st 7lb, with a height of 5'5 and trying to get to 11st. I am quite stocky though and don't believe I am massively fat, but do have a fair size belly - everywhere else, legs, arms, bum all in good shape.

If it makes you feel any better, MFP isn't always correct. You may lose more, you may lose less. It consistently tells me that I'll lose 1-2lbs in the next 5 weeks. I've only been (religiously) here for 8 weeks and lost 8 lbs. It's a blanket assumption that is meant to motivate you. Whether it motivates you to keep doing what you're doing, or it motivates you to do better, it's not a perfect prediction.
  • crazygoog
    crazygoog Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    A Few more details would be helpful. Like how much weight per week you set your calories too. How much you are eating and how much you are under.

All food is, is energy. This being said If you put less than what you take to sustain your weight, you will lose. If you go with less than what MFP told you to adaquetely lose weight, you will lose faster. This being said 9 pounds in 5 weeks is good and healthy weight loss. A little fast espeically if you put only 1 pound per week.

All and all healthy eating is a life style to be maintained. If you have extra calories treat yourself. If not then dont. If you dont like to treat yourself and still have those extra calories then you will lose a little bit more weight.

That in 5 weeks you will weigh, is if every day was like the day you just logged. So if you consistantly eat under you will lose more than intended.

Well my weekly target is set at 1.5lb's per week, but I would be more than happy with 1lb per week loss. Obviously though the sooner the better. Over the 2/3 days I have done it so far my goal is 1,610 calories, and i'm about 200 cals short of this after my daily intake of everything. We do have a takeaway on a Saturday evening, but I have now taken out most of my alcohol consumption so hopefully this might counter the takeaway slightly. Most days I shall be under I imagine, but maybe once or twice a week I might end up going over. Hopefully over a 1 week period though I should still be under, as it's not like the weekend is a mad binge or anything. I like your thinking though of if i'm under, treat myself lol. But tbh I shall maybe just class my takeaway as the main treat and leave it at that.

I have also just added the weight ticker under my post so people can see my current progress like most of you do. Looks like I have plenty of catching up to do though ha-ha. Seriously though I am thoroughly enjoying reading through people's experiences on this forum and is an absolute inspiration.

Thank you all!
  • crazygoog
    Options
    Well I have to say I'm shocked! I've been waiting for today to come around as I was desperate to see how the scales would treat me 1 week on from me starting using MFP. And all I can say is I'm shocked! 1 week ago today I weighed 176lbs, but today....... 167.6lbs!I know people say that the first week is usually the best by some margin, but please just let me revel in this short term success for a while ;) thank you!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Mmmm... Revels.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's just a theoretical estimate based upon your current weight and your net intake for the day - ignore it. Weight loss is rarely linear, so the chances of actually weighing exactly that amount exactly five weeks from now is about the same as the chances of hitting the lottery jackpot.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    Well I have to say I'm shocked! I've been waiting for today to come around as I was desperate to see how the scales would treat me 1 week on from me starting using MFP. And all I can say is I'm shocked! 1 week ago today I weighed 176lbs, but today....... 167.6lbs!I know people say that the first week is usually the best by some margin, but please just let me revel in this short term success for a while ;) thank you!

Yay!!!!! Well done you!!!:happy:
  • crazygoog
    Options
    Thanks very much for your comments. After hitting the scales this morning I am well ahead of schedule, so obviously I'm very happy!
  • crazygoog
    Options

Yay!!!!! Well done you!!!:happy:

Haha thanks very much Lizzie!
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    just ignore that. It's just off what you ate that day, your not gonna eat the same thing every single day so its not accurate at all.