Ditching bread?

Options
2»

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit will get you the weight loss. Ditching an entire food-group is just a different approach to calorie restriction really. You'll get many different answers, try what you want and stick with what works for you!
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Nah but if you switch from white to whole grain and fiber rich breads it can be helpful.

There is a lot of sugar in white bread. Ditch the white bread and make sure you are eating whole grain. Make sure it is all whole grain and not just a portion. I have recently discovered Pepperidge Farm's whole wheat double fiber bread. It's pretty tasty!
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It's not just bread. Ditch the unnecessary carbs and that will help. Stick to protein and fats and carbs from veggies.
  • lornaloo3
    lornaloo3 Posts: 102
    Options
    I dropped bread after reading Wheat Belly. I have no regrets about it.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I've heard that if you ditch bread all together you'll see more progress in your weight loss, is this true?
    Thanks.

Best thing I ever did.................not for weight loss, but for health.

Ditch the grains for 30 days, focus on eating clean meats, fruits and vegetables and see how you feel. That will tell the story.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Nah but if you switch from white to whole grain and fiber rich breads it can be helpful.

There is no difference between "whole grain" and white bread. Both can be toxic and inflammatory to the human body.

The healthiest way to eat grains if you are going to partake is soaking and sprouting. So a bread like Ezekiel bread would be the way to go.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    It's very easy to get carried away with eating simple carbs, like bread, white rice, and pasta as they have a ton of calories relative to how filling they are. However, unless you have one of a number of carb-sensitive conditions (hypothyroidism, PCOS, etc.), reducing carbs while maintaining the same calorie level probably won't make a difference.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I love the advice of "Experiment, track and refine" .. we're all different!

For me, bread and pasta are trigger foods (If I don't watch myself the whole loaf is going down) I recently cut out gluten for a while (experiment phase) and have now found when I eat it I feel kinda gross and hungrier than if I didn't eat the wheat (if this because it's a trigger food? Or maybe I have an intolerance? Still refining here...)

The only time I miss bread is burgers and pizza. I miss pasta terribly, but when I'm dying for it I eat rice noodles with pasta sauce.
  • yougojo170
    Options
    I think it really depends on how much bread you have been eating and what else you have been eating. I stopped eating bread, pasta, and rice because I am diabetic and I found dropping these foods really helped me with my insulin levels, but everything in moderation and when you do eat bread- if you eat whole grain bread- I think it will be better for you.
  • evajg
    evajg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to avoid most grains, wheat, gluten....Try the brown rice pasta (I use the Trader Joe's brand) I think it tastes great with their organic sauce. But I use it as a side dish and not the main meal.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I eat bread basically every single day. I've been dropping weight pretty quickly.
    I don't personally have any plans on 'giving up' any certain foods.. I'm just eating in moderation and making smarter choices.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I love my 35-calories-per-slice wheat bread.