After a crazy workout, do I still need to eat all my calorie

Options
My average daily caloric allowance is around 1420 but today I worked out like crazy and the computer said I could eat 2566 calories. I've heard it said over and over that we still need to eat our calories to prevent our bodies from going into starvation mode, but I've gotten used to eating smaller portions and healthier choices. I still have several hundred calories left for today and it's 10PM. What's the skinny on how calories work in this situation? Thanks!

Replies

• ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat... most of the time it says I need to eat like 3000 calories after I my exercise is factored in. I just think that's is WAY too much to be eating. What I do is I don't eat all of them, only some... but SINCE it's all ready 10PM for I wouldn't eat this late, especially that much! Your body will just store it! I usually allow some of the extra calories, but not all of them. Shoot me if I'm wrong, but I just think 3000 calories is way too much~
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    it takes a little time but you need to learn to plan your meals ahead of time when you know your going to be exercising.

i know i'm going to be exercising tomorrow and that i'll probably burn anywhere from 400-500 calories. then i'm going to slowly incorporate these calories throughout the day so i'm not left with a huge chunk of calories at the end of the day.

like i said, its going to take practice and good planning.

if your having a hard time getting all of your calories in, try bulking up your meals with peanut butter, avocado, nuts, cheese, etc.

as for tonight, i wouldn't worry about trying to get that many calories in on such short notice. forcing yourself to eat that many calories right before you go to sleep will probably just make you sick.

let it go for the night but plan out meals better in the future.

best of luck
    :heart: aisha
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,523 Member
    Options
    I think it also depends if you are wearing a Heart rate monitor that tells you exactly the amount of calories you have burned. I have a feeling alot of the calories noted in exercise machines and here are just estimates and might be over. Alot of people here recommend eating your exercise calories. What I do is listen to my body and maybe eat 100 or 200. I don't have a HRM yet.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat... most of the time it says I need to eat like 3000 calories after I my exercise is factored in. I just think that's is WAY too much to be eating. What I do is I don't eat all of them, only some... but SINCE it's all ready 10PM for I wouldn't eat this late, especially that much! Your body will just store it! I usually allow some of the extra calories, but not all of them. Shoot me if I'm wrong, but I just think 3000 calories is way too much~

out of curiosity, what kind of exercising are you doing and where are you getting your numbers?
  • kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Good question. I want to see what other people have to say.
    Congrats on the baby!
  • lisawest
    lisawest Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Personally, I eat however many of my exercise calories I am hungry for. If I'm not hungry, I don't eat them. If I am hungry, then I eat some portion of them. I have also been known (very infrequently, so please don't jump all over me for this!) to eat some of those back the next day.

Planning throughout the day is the BEST choice, but if that doesn't happen, do what your body says. If you have calories left and you're hungry, eat. Now, at 10pm I would keep it something light (fruit, veggies, etc.). With a little one, you will probably be up in a few hours anyway, so grab something if you need it. (But if it keeps you from sleeping, don't do it again! You need your sleep!)

Good job burning those calories today! Keep it up! Good luck figuring out how to make it work for you. Let us know how it's working out for you.
  • sequoia13
    Options
    you dont have to eat as many calories as it tells you to. as long as you eat more then 1200 calories in a day, your body wont go into starvation mode. just eat what you feel is right, and getting to that 1200 could be as simple as eating 1 single boiled egg.
  • ebkins7
    ebkins7 Posts: 427 Member
    Options

out of curiosity, what kind of exercising are you doing and where are you getting your numbers?

Just Carido really... I have a Heart Rate Monitor so I'm going by what that says and not the machines... My goals are only set to lose 1lb per week so my starting calories are higher as it is... then I add in my exercise calories and it's always between 2500 - 3000 calories at the end of the day!
    And, yes, my HRM is set to my specifications (that has been asked of me before)
  • plumppeach28
    Options
    Hi there :)

I've also had the same issue... But I've found the harder my trainer works me... The more hungry I become.. I don't find myself hungry at night though.. But in the mornings AFTER my session... But because I've trained myself to eat better, smaller portions.. it's really hard to add THAT many calories! I agree with everyone else.. Listen to your body.. if your hungry.. eat! Keep small bags of nuts in your bag.. in the car.. That helps too.
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Okay are we really going into "starvation mode" not eating your exercise calories for "one" day?
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    If you're working out hard enough to burn 1000 + calories, your body is going to be really craving some nourishment. I don't think, personally, you need to eat all of those calories back, but I'd aim for eating half of them. You could also carry some over to the next day.

Keep up the good work. :)