Mid-morning hunger

Options
Anyone else deal with mid-morning hunger? I feel like I could eat a whole meal at 10 AM. Basically, I'd like some people's meals that they really feel like get them all the way to lunch.

Replies

• ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    This may not be what you're looking for, but I generally eat two small breakfasts to get me through, plus drink a bunch of water. Like this morning, I was starving so I ate a greek yogurt before 7am. Then I ate some oatmeal around 9 and I should be good until lunchtime. If I had eaten it all at once, I would have gotten hungry again anyway. But this way I'm not hungry even though I've eaten the same amount of food.

Edit - I also eat lunch around 11 or 11:30, so that helps, since I start my day really early (at work at 6:30).
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I would need an enormous breakfast to get me through until lunch, so I just build in snacks. Today at 7 am I had one egg with a piece of cheese scrambled in for breakfast. Around 9:30 I ate a serving of almonds. I'll probably get hungry again around 11-12 pm when I will eat a Greek yogurt.

My hunger is predictable, so I just snack a lot and make for I account for it in my daily calories.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Anyone else deal with mid-morning hunger? I feel like I could eat a whole meal at 10 AM. Basically, I'd like some people's meals that they really feel like get them all the way to lunch.

My diary is public so feel free to take a look.

Note: Today's breakfast is not typical. I had forgotten my baggy of hard-boiled eggs for the day. :frown:

I pre-plan my meals a week at a time, so look at the other days. I eat the same thing for breakfast every morning.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I seldom have any hunger during the morning since I started skipping breakfast. Hunger signaling is somewhat adaptive to feed patterns.

I'm not suggesting this as a tool for everyone, but for some, it works very well.
  • dmh0204
    dmh0204 Posts: 81
    Options
    I seldom have any hunger during the morning since I started skipping breakfast. Hunger signaling is somewhat adaptive to feed patterns.

I'm not suggesting this as a tool for everyone, but for some, it works very well.

Everything I've read says "do not, under any circumstances, even if you are really busy, ever for any reason skip breakfast, because your metabolism will be sluggish all morning and you will snack later on during the day."

I like the strategy for splitting my breakfast into two parts. Eating two very tiny breakfasts instead of one bigger breakfast. Still, I only allow myself 300 calories for breakfast. It's hard to break this down into two breakfasts--maybe 1 egg and piece of fruit at 6, and a greek yogurt at 9....
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I eat between 6am-8am and then again between 10am-12pm. Then lunch is somewhere between 1pm-3pm.

I found small meals every few hours help me a lot. I could eat at 8 am and want another meal at 10.

ETA: Also, it's a little more personal, but my IBS is a lot friendlier if I eat smaller meals/snacks throughout the day. I don't handle big meals all that well.
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options

Everything I've read says "do not, under any circumstances, even if you are really busy, ever for any reason skip breakfast, because your metabolism will be sluggish all morning and you will snack later on during the day."

I like the strategy for splitting my breakfast into two parts. Eating two very tiny breakfasts instead of one bigger breakfast. Still, I only allow myself 300 calories for breakfast. It's hard to break this down into two breakfasts--maybe 1 egg and piece of fruit at 6, and a greek yogurt at 9....

Jumpstarting metabolism is BS. Your body takes in a certain number of calories, and uses a certain number of calories. You can spread them out, or eat them all at 10pm. The primary difference is what is mentally best for you. You just have to find what you can make a healthy, happy, long-term routine, and stick with it :smile:
  • Annaruthus
    Annaruthus Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I eat at 0345, 0600, 0800 and 1000 on most days because I'm up super early to workout before formation everyday. So I obviously partake of the splitting up the meals advice. 0345 is a pre workout snack, 0600 is my post workout shake, 0800 is usually oatmeal or eggs, and 1000 will be oatmeal or eggs depending on what I had at 0800. I can't wait until lunch to eat, just the story of my life.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    What has been working for me lately is I wake up and eat some oatmeal with blueberries around 8am. I get to work, work for two hours and then eat a banana. Two hours later I'll have whatever I brought for lunch. Two hours after that I'll have a cheese stick or something similar and then two hours after that, I'm heading home for dinner. :P

Breaking my food up like that has helped me a lot.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a mid morning snack (crackers and cheese, granola bar, yogurt, etc) around 10am. I do find that if I eat more protein for breakfast (eggs, breakfast sandwich, protein shake) I'm more full and sometimes don't need the mid morning snack.
  • esneer1
    esneer1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think the whole "DO NOT EVER SKIP BREAKFAST" thing is ridiculous. Eat when you are hungry. For me, if I eat an early breakfast around 6-8am then I am hungry again at 10. But I was never actually hungry that early in the morning anyway. I have 2 cups of coffee around 7am then I just eat my breatfast every morning at 10 at my desk at work. I eat oatmeal (every single day).
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    What has been working for me lately is I wake up and eat some oatmeal with blueberries around 8am. I get to work, work for two hours and then eat a banana. Two hours later I'll have whatever I brought for lunch. Two hours after that I'll have a cheese stick or something similar and then two hours after that, I'm heading home for dinner. :P

Breaking my food up like that has helped me a lot.

I do the same thing... I'm a big cereal for breakfast person, so I'll have a bowl of Special K around 6:00 and then usually a greek yogurt, granola bar, piece of fruit, or some other light snack at work around 9:30-10ish. It definitely holds me over til lunch at 12:00. Then I usually have a cheese stick or fruit around 3:00 before I go to the gym' and then I eat dinner around 6.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I experience this the most on days I work out in the morning or on days when I have to get up really early. For a while I was eating breakfast at six am, and not eating lunch until noon, and then was wondering why I was so hungry. But I then I realized I tend to eat small meals every three or so hours, and so the simple bowl of oatmeal I was eating just couldn't sustain me for six hours. So I started having myself a little mid morning snack, problem solved.
  • AmandaInGA
    AmandaInGA Posts: 122 Member
    Options

i love having greek yogurt for a midmorning snack.. gets me through til lunch and has a good amount of protein
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I find it much easier to just eat when I get those cravings rather than starve until lunch and possbily make a bad decision. Pack snacks to bring with you if you can so that you can combat this hunger. Also high protien for your snacks or even your breakfast will keep you fuller, longer.
  • k7n2w3
    k7n2w3 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    everyday at 10am i have a 60 calorie "stringers" lite cheese stick and then i'm good til noon. :-) Snacks are KEY!
  • richcreighton
    Options
    Start eating 5 small meals a day instead of the the more normally accepted 3 meals a day (I wonder who decided that 3 meals a day is the norm?). Your body will thank you as it is getting nutrition on a more consistent basis and process the food a lot easier.
  • jesshall281
    Options
    I used to eat breakfast, but found it made me want to eat more throughout the day, so from when I wake up until my lunch at 1:30, I drink a 1.5 litre bottle of water, and im not hungry at all until my lunch :)
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I have a snack in the moring. Usually it's a 90 calorie greek yogurt but some days it's some Almonds. I have found that if I have little snacks between meals I'm not hungry and if I'm not hungry I don't feel a need to pig out.

Also, drink water, are you sure you're not just thirsty?