How to maintain?

Options
After 4 months and 20 lbs I've reached my goal.

Today is my first day of maintenance and I do a boot camp 6 times a week (MW, it's twice a day, Th evenings, F&S mornings).

My question really is how to do maintenance the right way. I lost in the beginning on Weight Watchers and following that plan, which I think anyone would tell you is a healthy way to lose weight, but on that plan there were many days where my intake was below 1200 calories per day (I never worried about this because of the proven success of Weight Watchers). My question is now that I'm ready to move to maintenance I'm worried about how to do it successfully. On a day like today I'll start out with 1500 calories and burn in excess of 700 at workouts. I have no interest in consuming empty calories or eating when I'm not hungry just to hit a number but I honestly do not want to lose anymore weight. My measurements are below, my question is if I eat at 1500 calories per day and continue to do boot camp which I love because it's dropped my BF% nearly 6% will I continue to lose and how do I overcome that without just eating like a rhino? I'm sure that all sounds relatively ridiculous, considering I can do the math but I am honestly concerned about continued lose so I'd appreciate any advice from folks who have been on maintenance for a while.

CW: 118.4
BF% 23.6%
Height 5'3"
33 year old female

Replies

• kgprice11
    kgprice11 Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Its hard to maintain but watching what you eat and keep exercising is the easiest/best way to keep your goal and never succumbing to unhealthy habits. GOOD LUCK you can maintain it!!!
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Height: 5'3"
    Current weight: 112lbs
    Body fat 21%
    35yr old female
    Basic Metabolic rate: 1191
    TDEE: 1515
    Workout: 3 times a week

I have been maintaining since July 6th. It has been a case of trial and error. I have upped my intake to 1300 calories on days I don't exercise. On the days I DO exercise I eat all my burned calories and sometimes 100 - 300calories more.

I do bootcamp twice a week and train for a triathlon on week-ends.

On week-ends, I eat A LOT because I am super hungry during training. I eat close to 2,000 calories. During the week, it goes down between 1300 to 1600. If I see a 1lbs gain, I will stick closer to 1300. If I see a loss, I will eat a little more.
  • christinacrisfield
    christinacrisfield Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Depending on how often you exercise, you can probably bring your intake up to 2000 calories a day to maintain level. If you eat less you might continue to lose weight. Lower than 2000 if you didn't work out that day. Keep using the food diary, that way you can be sure you aren't going overboard. I find this website to be helpful. http://www.cancer.org/healthy/toolsandcalculators/calculators/app/calorie-counter-calculator
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining for a while now and it is weird at first.. I was advised to up my cal intake slowly and I enjoy it. I eat all my excersise cals back and still excersise about 4 times a week. Just try to keep making healthy decisions, like monitoring what goes into your body and how food is prepared, portion sizes, etc.
  • Dethea
    Dethea Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Change your MFP settings to maintenance rather than weight loss to help with a calorie goal.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Step 1 - Increase how many calories you're eating

Step 2 - Weigh in. If you've lost weight go to Step 1. If you've gained weight go to Step 3. If steady congratulations!

Step 3 - Reduce how many calories you're eating. Go back to Step 2
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    CW: 116.6
    BF% 17%
    Height 5'6"
    30 year old female

I'm maintaining at 1550 cals/day plus eating back my exercise calories (except last week--that was a bad week).
  • jnj1013
    jnj1013 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for the link, it has one of the better explanations of activity level I've seen.
  • mangohead100
    Options
    bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!