Is Drinking Water making my Belly Big?? - PLEASE HELP!

Options
So, my belly size fluctuates a lot. I typically look 4 months pregnant. Some of it is extra skin from three pregnancies, some of it may just be my shape. But for example, after a night of drinking alcohol, when I wake up in the morning, it is relatively flat and my weight is down. I assume this is due to dehydration. So, my thought is that my belly holds a lot of water somehow since it can have such drastic changes. I don't know where but it does. So, I thought maybe I'm retaining water so try to drink more water so my body doesn't hold onto it. So, I've been drinking my bodyweight (OR MORE) in ounces everyday. Well, this has not improved my belly size at all and made it worse.

So then I tell my husband that it is fat and I can't do anything about it. He says compare your belly "fat" to mine (he has a lot) and my tummy is nothing like that. There isn't a TON of fat on it to make me look like I am pregnant. My husband thinks that because I am drinking SO MUCH water that it is stretching out my belly and making it bigger.

What do you think? I'm really curious on this one. Also, if you have any solutions to my problem, I'll take it. Thanks!!

Replies

• Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    It's probably all the water. I know that's how I put on weight.
  • NewFitKeri
    NewFitKeri Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be water dear...check your diet. If it is high in carbs and sodium, that will do it :)
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    bump
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    You could also do some core strength exercises. If your belly isn't flabby fat, but more distended, you might need to work on your muscles in that area. Those muscles have to hold in all your organs, and when they're weak, you get a pooch.
  • hkevans724
    hkevans724 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I think you might ought to see your doctor on this one. Drinking water shouldn't "stretch out" your belly..
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    dehydration from drinking alcohol and if you are that dehydrated in the morning you are probably binge drinking. Have you been logging those alcohol calories...
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this with myself from time to time. I think it could certainly be that your stomach is just swollen sometimes, and not so much that you have excess fat there. I don't think you should cut back on the water you're drinking, but you need to make sure your body is USING it. So exercise enough to sweat. That's one thing you should do daily. (You probably already do; just a reminder.)

Also, how's your sodium intake? Salt definitely goes hand in hand with water retention. If your sodium intake isn't high, then it could be a medical problem. Do you feel like you are peeing enough for all the water you're drinking? If not, you may need to see a doctor, as you could have a kidney or liver problem. But that's probably not the case. (I hope!)

Also, water tends to settle wherever gravity takes it, so if you're sitting a lot, that could be why it all seems to stay in your belly. Make sure you get up and move around a lot during the day.

If all else fails, massage and acupuncture can do wonders.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't be water dear...check your diet. If it is high in carbs and sodium, that will do it :)

This.

Try upping your potassium consumption.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I know if I haven't been good with my water, the first few days afterwards it seems as though my body holds on to it, but once I've been consistent for a couple of weeks it goes away. Are you eating too much sodium? That would retain water.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Drinking your weight (in oz) in water in a lot of water. Please be careful. You can kill yourself by drinking too much water, it will throw off your natural electrolyte balance and the effects can be deadly. 8 cups a day should be plenty. Watch your sodium and carbs. If I eat a lot of sodium I get really bloated.
  • jaybird951
    jaybird951 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    you are right, water makes you look big. you should drink bud light platinum instead. you will look better when you look in the mirror after about 4 beers in less than an hour.
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This is me, my stomach is crazy in this area, even my trainer can't believe one day can make such a difference. Not to TMI, but do you eat enough fiber to flush everything out? And one HUGE thing I noticed, if I don't drink alcohol, my stomach is much flatter
  • TNFirefly
    TNFirefly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    besides the alcohol (beer belly effect) and sodium, what about your fiber intake? Are you getting in 20 or so grams of fiber a day? The alcohol can stop things moving for a while and you could be retaining food too long in your gut.
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I don't drink that much though, 6 to 8 glasses a day. But I was never a big water drinker, so I'm hoping my body gets used to it too. My stomach is much bigger by the end of the day, than when I wake up in the morning. I have a desk job, and work out when I get home, which usually relieves the bloated feeling.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    If you are dehydrated due to drinking alcohol and things like sodium, drinking all that water could be making you bloat because your body wants to hold onto that water to rehydrate itself.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Drinking your weight (in oz) in water in a lot of water. Please be careful. You can kill yourself by drinking too much water, it will throw off your natural electrolyte balance and the effects can be deadly. 8 cups a day should be plenty. Watch your sodium and carbs. If I eat a lot of sodium I get really bloated.

I once learned (and have heard repeated, but I'm not a medical professional or scientist) that you should divide your weight in half, then make sure you drink that many ounces of water each day. So if you weigh 200 lbs, drink 100 oz a day in water.
  • TigersLions
    Options
    whoa!!! - I didn't realize alcohol was such a touchy subject!

I am not a routine binge drinker. I am a one or two drink type person if I am drinking and that might be once every couple of weeks. I'm just saying in extreme situations I might drink a little more than normal (and feel hung over) and that is when I get the flat stomach. I would say the "extreme situations" might happen once or twice A YEAR!! No need for snarky comments. It is just something I noticed that I thought was a clue. Same thing happens if I had the flu.

And yes, I have been starting to watch my carbs and next thing as some of you suggested would be watching my sodium intake. Also, I do sit all day typically at work so there is another idea. Thank you for all of the helpful comments. I have to go back and read the others because there are some great ideas. Thanks!!!
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    whoa!!! - I didn't realize alcohol was such a touchy subject!

I am not a routine binge drinker. I am a one or two drink type person if I am drinking and that might be once every couple of weeks. I'm just saying in extreme situations I might drink a little more than normal (and feel hung over) and that is when I get the flat stomach. I would say the "extreme situations" might happen once or twice A YEAR!! No need for snarky comments. It is just something I noticed that I thought was a clue. Same thing happens if I had the flu.

And yes, I have been starting to watch my carbs and next thing as some of you suggested would be watching my sodium intake. Also, I do sit all day typically at work so there is another idea. Thank you for all of the helpful comments. I have to go back and read the others because there are some great ideas. Thanks!!!

not touchy -- just the way you wrote seemed to make it that way was all -- just wasn't enough context as you have posted above and now we have all the information :)

If you drink water more consistently your body will flush it. In the beginning your body will start to hang onto it the you will "go" often but you will regular out.
  • nbintliff
    nbintliff Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I heard this as well. Sounds like a lot of water!