Too Few Calories?

Options
I started using MFP last month and although I had a very rocky start, I've been consistent with it and I like using it. My concern is the number of calories MFP told me I should be consuming to lose weight (1200 calories) may be too low. I know two people who are using MFP, one of whom is using MFP in conjunction with the guidance and supervision of a dcotor, and both of them said I may need to look into that number of calories because it seemed rather low. Should I be concerned? Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• Wetterdew
    Wetterdew Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    1200 is the lowest anybody should eat daily. Did you tell MFP you wanted to lose 2 pounds per week? Try making that 1 pound. If you are exercising, 1200 is almost certainly too little. Especially if you are not a small person.

Maybe start at 1400 and see if you feel okay.
  • leslielrd12
    leslielrd12 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Yeah I was a bit concerned with the rapid transition. Going from not being concerned and probably eating between 2500-2600 to having a deficit of over 1000 calories. I don't feel deprived on the days I go to the gym and burn 800 additional calories, but on my off days I feel like I'm very deprived.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    Are you working out?

1200 is what MFP says you should NET, not your total calorie intake for the day. 1200 is my net goal daily. However, I take in more than that because I work out. I can burn around 750 calories (average) and have to eat more to accommodate that burn. So technically, I'll end up eating round 1900 calories and subtract the 750 calories burned to net around 1200.

On days that I don't work out, I will only shoot for 1200 calories, which means eliminating one of my five meals. In order to maintain my normal weight, I'd have to eat 1500 calories but I'm not trying to maintain. I'm trying to lose. So I decrease my calorie intake for that day.

Hope this helps.

Erica
  • tennisbabe94
    tennisbabe94 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Are you working out?

1200 is what MFP says you should NET, not your total calorie intake for the day. 1200 is my net goal daily. However, I take in more than that because I work out. I can burn around 750 calories (average) and have to eat more to accommodate that burn. So technically, I'll end up eating round 1900 calories and subtract the 750 calories burned to net around 1200.

On days that I don't work out, I will only shoot for 1200 calories, which means eliminating one of my five meals. In order to maintain my normal weight, I'd have to eat 1500 calories but I'm not trying to maintain. I'm trying to lose. So I decrease my calorie intake for that day.

Hope this helps.

Erica

^^this. If you are exercising, you have to consume more in order to net 1200. Your net calories are the total number of calories you've consumed minus how many calories you burned through exercise. Hope this helps!
  • gjsmommy
    gjsmommy Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing last week when I came across this post recommended in another post. Definitely a must read! After reading this post I made some changes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I don't know anyone who had to eat 1200 calories a day in order to lose weight. CAN you eat that low? I guess, it depends. But you probably don't have to. Regular exercise helps.

I usually tell women that 1500 calories a day is a good place to start. It's certainly a BETTER place to start than 1200. At least try to start off with a moderate calorie reduction first, chances are you will see the weight loss you want.
  • knowwhentoshutup
    knowwhentoshutup Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Search the boards for some posts about finding out the difference between your BMR and TDEE.

Here is a good one to start with: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You should always net above your BMR (base metabolic rate), which is what your body needs to function if you were to do nothing but lay in bed. Again, net means calories consumed minus calories expended during exercise.

Figure out what you need, and go from there. For me, it is a lifestyle change - not a race to lose the most weight in the shortest amount of time (only to gain it back after I up my calories).

Good Luck!
  • jensan37
    jensan37 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I also think that is too low... when I started MFP it had me at 1200 but I find it very hard to stay at that. After doing more research (Eat More to Lose Weight group on here) I've had slow success starting at 1400. Good luck!
  • timbiden
    timbiden Posts: 21
    Options
    MFP told me I should be eating 1200 per day too but I was just exhausted! I upped it to 1500 and felt a bit better but I was still feeling sluggish. Then on Friday I was talking to a personal trainer who told me that as a 5'5" man, I can still lose weight at around 2000 net calories and that I just need to eat better.

So, today I kinda-started on his recommended diet (doing the best I can with what I have at home) with a net goal of 2000 calories per day. And this afternoon I go to the gym for some weight-training and cardio. =)
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I don't know your height, weight, activity level, etc but just so you know even if you are short, you could lose weight eating more than 1,200, I'm 5ft, 98lbs and I eat alot more and I don't exercise a ton. Check out the eat more to weigh less group and I'd suggest finding your tdee then make the cut from there http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    1200 is the lowest anybody should eat daily. Did you tell MFP you wanted to lose 2 pounds per week? Try making that 1 pound. If you are exercising, 1200 is almost certainly too little. Especially if you are not a small person.

Maybe start at 1400 and see if you feel okay.

1200 is the NET...not the total amount. Obviously she needs to eat more to fuel her body. I think a lot of people misunderstand the meaning of net goal. She should be eating between 1800-2000 minimum if she is working out. I eat that amount and sometimes MORE because I can burn upwards of 1000 calories in a day. She needs to understand a couple of things:

1. How many calories needed to MAINTAIN her current weight and
    2. How many needed to fuel her body to LOSE weight

These are two totally different numbers. Until she understands this she WILL be confused and not get the right answer.
  • fitQueenbeast
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing last week when I came across this post recommended in another post. Definitely a must read! After reading this post I made some changes.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Great post. That explains a lot of what I've said and then some.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Search the boards for some posts about finding out the difference between your BMR and TDEE.

Here is a good one to start with: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

You should always net above your BMR (base metabolic rate), which is what your body needs to function if you were to do nothing but lay in bed. Again, net means calories consumed minus calories expended during exercise.

Figure out what you need, and go from there. For me, it is a lifestyle change - not a race to lose the most weight in the shortest amount of time (only to gain it back after I up my calories).

^^^THIS!!^^^^

Good Luck!