How many calories should a 280 woman eat each day to lose we

Options
2»

Replies

• aljeca
    aljeca Posts: 83
    Options

That site is messed up.

It told me I could lose 9 pounds in 5 weeks by eating 897 calories a day! NOT SAFE!!

It only tells me it's unsafe when I drop the amount of time down to 4 weeks.
  • _Sara_A_
    _Sara_A_ Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" 279lbs and MFP has me eating 1910 calories per day, with 3 exercise classes of 1 hour each. Enter your information into MFP and they'll give you what your calories should be. I've also lost 10.5lbs in the month I've been doing this.
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522
    Options
    I started MFP at 277.
    I can't remember what my exact calorie goal was, but now at 267 my calorie goal is 2200 with my profile set to lightly active.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty close to that rt now--MFP has me at 1430 calories a day and I'm consistently losing and have yet to incorporate excercise :)
    Your ideal calorie may be a few calories less (maybe like 1420 or 1400??? according to MFP tool). Hope this helps
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options

That site is messed up.

It told me I could lose 9 pounds in 5 weeks by eating 897 calories a day! NOT SAFE!!

I'd kill someone if I only ate 897 calories a day :explode:
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Start with setting your calorie goal to 1350. And start walking.....work up to one hour each day. What kinds of food are you going to be eating? Do you need help making a menu? Congrats on taking a step to better your health! :flowerforyou:

Um, no. I'm the same weight and my calorie goals on MFP for 2 pounds a week are 2100 plus exercise calories.
  • Angieb1982
    Angieb1982 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the same GOAL and started at 280 myself... I cut my calories to 1300 and do the elliptical for an hour a day... I burn about 1000 calories a day in exercise.. I have lost 15 lbs since I started MFP. Good LUck
    !
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Use MFP to set your goals and see what it tells you to eat. At 280 pounds, setting it at a 2 pound per week goal should still leave you plenty of calories every day. If you feel like that isn't enough to eat, scale back your weight loss to 1.5 pounds per week. If you fit in some walking every day, you can eat back those calories you burn, too. The more you move, the more you can eat.

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^
  • Kimeanb74
    Kimeanb74 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I agree...let MFP calculate I'm allowed about 1790 a day with light exercise. Slow and steady wins the race. Feel free to friend me, the more the merrier! :flowerforyou:
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options

That site is messed up.

I'd kill someone if I only ate 897 calories a day :explode:

It told me the following:

In order to lose 20 pounds in 73 days, you will need to reduce your daily calorie intake from your normal maintenance level of 1736 calories per day, down to 777 calories per day.

but it would not let me switch it to 21 pounds or 72 days!!! WEIRD!!!

777 is a lucky number though!! if it were a fortune telling machine that is!!!
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have heard weight times eight.....280 = 2240 - 200 = 2040 calories I took away an extra 200 and am loosing 2 pounds per week with 20 min of vigorous exercise 5 x's per week. Could be a year or less to loose it depending on your commitment to getting this thing done.

As you loose weight recalculate weight times eight to avoid the dreded plateau.

This is what is working for me personally.

I wish you the best in your way to a much healthier lifestyle.

Lisa
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I would probably start out at 1500-1600 calories a day. Walking an hour a day will help tremendously! Good luck on your journey

This!

Agree here! MFP should have you at this calorie range. With exercise that should help you reach your goal of 100 lbs in a year. But don't get discouraged if it comes off a bit slower....it's better to be healthy and skinny instead of sick and skinny! Good Luck!
  • hproctor02
    hproctor02 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I am 280lbs now and MFP wanted me to start my calorie intake at around 1900 with 5 days of exercise. I bumped it down to 1500 and I've been keeping under that. Seeing results all ready and with keeping it in that range it is plenty of food to keep me satisfied through out the day. Good luck on everyone's journey!