How did you hit your goal weight?

Options
So here's the scenario...SAHM of 2 little people under the age of 4....on day 71 (19 days to go) of Power 90 (50 min of cardio one day/ 40 min of strength the next) 6 days a week...I've hit a plateau for the last month and a half..so I decided maybe I'm not exercising enough and have added in 30 Day Shred every day for the last week..still per the scale NOTHING IS HAPPENING!!! I'm 5'7 sitting at 149lbs and just totally stuck....I'm eating about 1350 calories a day, most days I'm dipping into my exercise calories...what am I doing wrong...I want this stuff off of me...I just knew I would be able to be down to my goal weight in time for vacation, and I should have lost it by now except for this stupid lapse in weight loss that's been going on for so long. Any suggestions are VERY WELCOME!

AND to all you people who have hit your goal weight...did you ever plateau? How did you get out of it? How many calories were you eating? What kind and how much exercise? Thanks everyone!!

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal set to? I found that when i started eating RIGHT above (25-50 calories) above my BMR and consistently eating back my exercise calories the weight just started falling off after a 7 week plateau. Haven't had any issues since then. :)
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    mfp has me eating 1320, and i usually eat that plus about a quarter of my exercise calories....
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    mfp has me eating 1320, and i usually eat that plus about a quarter of my exercise calories....

What is your bmr?
  • ehg87
    Options
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    How does MFP work? For me:

1. Eat clean
    2. Meet your calorie goals, don't fall below them
    3. Set your goals to lose 1lb/week unless otherwise advised by a doctor
    4. Log every bite--if you are tasting during cooking chew gum or just log each taste.
    5. Keep your routine varied, try something new: Zumba, martial arts, body combat, Tai Chi, power yoga...keep your body confused and your mind from getting bored.

I reached my goals in September. I also read Everyday Food magazine (makes it easier to log--nutrition info included), www.dailygarnish.com, and Whole Living Magazine. You can get free recipes on all of their websites.
  • rainbowbow
    Options

I would up your calories then for sure. I would probably try eating 1500 calories a day and any calories burned with cardiovascular exercise (assuming you use a HRM).

You will still be eating at a caloric deficit, and you've plateaud, so whats there to lose? Except more weight, that is!

I can almost bet you money its because you are eating too few calories.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I start to measure calories weekly instead of daily so you can vary what you consume daily. That generally kickstarts things for me when I plateau.

This is my general plan.

Monday - 800 (I use Intermittent Fasting)
    Tuesday - 1200
    Wednesday - 1500
    Thursday - 1200
    Friday - 2200
    Saturday - 2900
    Sunday - 1800

This averages out to 1500 calories/day and I think the higher calorie weekend resets the body somehow.

(I did lose 28 lbs last year - I started this about halfway thru when I hit a 3 week plateau)
  • Onesnap
    Options

I would say you are not fueling your body enough. That's why it is not letting go of any extra weight. If you're not losing and only eating back 25% of your exercise calories that is the answer. You are reaching NET below what your body needs...and that's why it will not let go of any extra. Meet those calorie goals, don't fall below them. You should be NET 1320. If you NET 1320, and log a workout you are *instantly* below those goals.
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options

I would up your calories then for sure. I would probably try eating 1500 calories a day and any calories burned with cardiovascular exercise (assuming you use a HRM).

You will still be eating at a caloric deficit, and you've plateaud, so whats there to lose? Except more weight, that is!

^^^^ THIS
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    AND to all you people who have hit your goal weight...did you ever plateau? How did you get out of it? How many calories were you eating? What kind and how much exercise? Thanks everyone!!

2 or 3 times. About a week per. Broke each plateau by raising my food intake 250 cal/day. I knew I was close to the maximum loss rate limit and figured a plateau was around the corner each time.

Started at 1750/day net, rose to 2000 cal/day net, then 2250, then 2500 for the last 5 lbs. I probably averaged 750 cal/day exercise after the first month or two so in reality I was never eating less than 2500 cal/day, and as I started getting leaner that rose to over 3000 cal/day for the last 25 lbs or so. Always counted exercise calories in full. I'm not sure why you wouldn't.

750-1000 cal/day exercise for me is a 2 mile walk on my lunch breaks plus either 1-1.5 hours strength training or a 5K run plus warmup/cooldown and stretching. Workout 7 days a week. On the weekends I run 10K one day and do yoga the other.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options

I would say she needs to go higher than that.

So BMR is 1458... As a SAHM, she is already active and adding P90 to the equation.

I would say at a minimum it would be 1800 (formula below)

TDEE = 1458*1.55 * .8 = 1800

But more than likely since she is active during the day its more like

TDEE = 1458 * 1.725 * .8 = 2012

So my suggestion is eat 1800 calories (35%c, 40% p, 25% f). This will also line up more with beachbody guidelines. And since she doesn't have much to lose, you have to eat more.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Here's an example:

MFP has suggested you eat (net) 1320 in order to lose 1lb/week (I'm assuming those are your settings)
    Let's say you burn 500 calories taking an intense exercise class.
    At this point you are at 820 for the day.
    You eat back the 25% you talk about (and it's not working, that's why you are stuck).
    That brings you to NET 945 for that particular day.

You're eating at a deficit to an already built in deficit that MFP provides. In order to have long-term success and to keep off the weight you lose for good, you have to actually NET 1320. Not 945 in my example above.
  • Onesnap
    Options

I would say she needs to go higher than that.

So BMR is 1458... As a SAHM, she is already active and adding P90 to the equation.

I would say at a minimum it would be 1800 (formula below)

TDEE = 1458*1.55 * .8 = 1800

But more than likely since she is active during the day its more like

TDEE = 1458 * 1.725 * .8 = 2012

So my suggestion is eat 1800 calories (35%c, 40% p, 25% f). This will also line up more with beachbody guidelines. And since she doesn't have much to lose, you have to eat more.

Depends on the person.

I'm 1200/day to lose 1lb/week
    1400/day to lose .5/week
    and 1600 to maintain.

I personally would gain with 1800 NET Vs the 1600 NET.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat more. I have never plateaued when on plan, and I've always stayed between 1500-2200 calories (depending on exercise and hunger) throughout my loss. I lose 1.5 pounds a week on average without really trying too hard (I do work out a lot though).
  • ehg87
    Options
    thanks so much rainbowbow!! I think I may try upping the calories (it just feels wrong when you've been thinking you should eat so little)

Huskery - what exactly is intermittent fasting...is it just about switching up how many calories you eat day to day? Or is it also what you're eating?
  • ehg87
    Options
    Ok I think I've got this! Apparently I've been having a serious duh moment for the past few months and not paying attention to the fact I was already at a 500 a day deficit + not eating back exercise cals....I'm going to try bumping up my calorie intake and see how that goes. THANKS EVERYONE!!
  • Onesnap
    Options
    thanks so much rainbowbow!! I think I may try upping the calories (it just feels wrong when you've been thinking you should eat so little)

Huskery - what exactly is intermittent fasting...is it just about switching up how many calories you eat day to day? Or is it also what you're eating?

I know--it goes against everything we are taught. You have to fuel your body in order for it to let go of any extra weight. As it stands now with 1320, and only eating 25% of your exercise calories back you are following below 1200 (NET) on a regular basis. I find it really helps to pre-log my workouts and spread the extra calories around during the day.

This is the same concept they teach in Weight Watchers. Friends of mine on WW say it is often the hardest concept to learn. In your case on paper it seems that taking in 1320 calories on days you work out would cause your body to lose weight. In fact what you are doing is eating a deficit to an already built in deficit to the MFP program.

It should look like this:

- 500 workout
    + 500 in healthy whole foods spread throughout the day
    = 1320

On days you workout you're taking in more than 1320 in total calories, but at the end of the day you're still reaching the 1320. 25% of your exercise calories back is causing you to NET below 1200.
  • rachelilb
    rachelilb Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Onesnap
    Options
    Ok I think I've got this! Apparently I've been having a serious duh moment for the past few months and not paying attention to the fact I was already at a 500 a day deficit + not eating back exercise cals....I'm going to try bumping up my calorie intake and see how that goes. THANKS EVERYONE!!

You're most welcome. So the 1320 is correct but that is your NET number. You've got this! Don't adjust your settings...just make sure you're not over or under that NET goal. :)
  • ehg87
    Options
    Thanks Onesnap looking at it like that makes even more sense!