Chobani Yogurts

Options
2»

Replies

• ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    I would not worry much about the sugar in Chobani. Only some of that sugar is added, and you don't need to worry about naturally occurring sugars.

In response to what other people have suggested:

Mio flavoring is full of chemicals you shouldn't consume.
    Crystal light is notoriously full of chemicals you shouldn't consume.
    Hungry Jack syrup is basically one big chemical.

The best answer is to add fresh fruit to non-fat natural greek yogurt like Trader Joe's, but it's not the only option. Eat your Chobani and be happy. And remember if you're adding honey for example, all of that sugar is added, vs. the naturally occurring in the fresh fruit you could add.
  • kindo
    kindo Posts: 11
    Options
    As others have said, go with the plain non-fat greek yogurt and add your own fresh (or frozen) fruit and even a teaspoon of sugar if you need it. Any time you can control the amount of added sugar you're eating it's a good thing. And you will be amazed at how much more fruit and/or yogurt you get for the same calories by controlling it yourself.
  • arw4
    arw4 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I love these yogurts! I think you should be fine if you stay within your calorie limits and your sugar is not too high. The fruit ones taste good in smoothies with bananas!
  • dmsimone
    Options
    There are some great suggestions here! Thank you for all of the great input!
  • aimeem2
    aimeem2 Posts: 35
    Options
    I buy Chobani 0% Plain and add my own toppings, such as fruit, crumbled bran muffins, all natural jam, flaxseed, etc.
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    The sugar comes from the fruit.

And some of it also comes from the evaporated can juice they add. ;)

Funny (to some, to others, I'm sure it won't be) story about Chobani yogurt - a couple of weeks ago a friend and I were talking on Twitter about Greek yogurt and the brand name Chobani got mentioned in a tweet where I stated I only ate plain Greek yogurt because of all of the sugar and carbs in the fruit ones.

At that point, the Chobani company twitter account butted itself into our conversation and said that all of the sugar came from the fruit. To which I replied with pretty much the same thing that I just said here about the cane juice. They then replied saying that they needed to be able to make it taste better and if I don't like the added the sugar to just eat the plain ones. To which I replied that if they'd actually paid attention to what I written in my initial tweet and didn't just jump into the convo with what they wanted to say that they'd know I already said I do exactly that.

My friend, who works in branding, basically then tore into their company practices of inserting themselves into any conversation that they just happened to be mentioned in. Any time after that, he purposefully spelled Chobani wrong to keep their searches from finding his mentions. Until he tried their yogurt for the first time a little bit later and made sure to spell their name right in his very bad review of their yogurt.

Neither of us have heard from them since. heheh

At the risk of getting totally off topic, that's the nature of Twitter. If you want a private conversation, don't do it on Twitter. When you mention another person/user/company/etc, they see it in their "mentions" and if you didn't have something nice to say I would expect they'd have something to say in defense of themselves. It's not a bad company practice.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    The sugar comes from the fruit.

And some of it also comes from the evaporated can juice they add. ;)

Funny (to some, to others, I'm sure it won't be) story about Chobani yogurt - a couple of weeks ago a friend and I were talking on Twitter about Greek yogurt and the brand name Chobani got mentioned in a tweet where I stated I only ate plain Greek yogurt because of all of the sugar and carbs in the fruit ones.

At that point, the Chobani company twitter account butted itself into our conversation and said that all of the sugar came from the fruit. To which I replied with pretty much the same thing that I just said here about the cane juice. They then replied saying that they needed to be able to make it taste better and if I don't like the added the sugar to just eat the plain ones. To which I replied that if they'd actually paid attention to what I written in my initial tweet and didn't just jump into the convo with what they wanted to say that they'd know I already said I do exactly that.

My friend, who works in branding, basically then tore into their company practices of inserting themselves into any conversation that they just happened to be mentioned in. Any time after that, he purposefully spelled Chobani wrong to keep their searches from finding his mentions. Until he tried their yogurt for the first time a little bit later and made sure to spell their name right in his very bad review of their yogurt.

Neither of us have heard from them since. heheh

At the risk of getting totally off topic, that's the nature of Twitter. If you want a private conversation, don't do it on Twitter. When you mention another person/user/company/etc, they see it in their "mentions" and if you didn't have something nice to say I would expect they'd have something to say in defense of themselves. It's not a bad company practice.

That's just it, it wasn't a "mention", there was no hashtag, no @, nothing. We didn't address the company specifically and had nothing much to say about them until they butted in. All that had been said to that point was that I hadn't tried the fruit flavored Chobani because I preferred plain yogurt to the fruit with the additional carbs and sugar. Nothing to that point indicated that we cared a whit about Chobani one way or another and wouldn't have paid them any mind beyond that.

But, since they felt the need to half read what I had posted that just happened to include their company name and then try to hard sell me with lies to try their product, they ended up with a bad image to my friend that had never previously heard of them and with a public negative review that wouldn't have ever been posted publicly if they hadn't been bot-trolling Twitter for their name in the first place.
  • pinksparklevapor1965
    Options
    Yes very good I like them pineapple and mango are my favorite :drinker:
  • jwillie76
    jwillie76 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • goalpeace
    goalpeace Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I am loving the nonfat Chobani yogurts - especially the blood orange and pomegranate. But these are really high in sugar. I have gotten pretty bored with plain Greek yogurt...is it so bad in indulge in the flavored, nonfat variety?

I love the Chobani too!! I eat those as well.

However, I have started putting 2/3 cup grapes in the plain with a little sprinkle of Fresh N Easy's Honey Granola......mmmmmm
  • jennanmiller
    Options
    I prefer Greek Gods brand yogurt, buy my fav mix ins are...

1) honey and cinnamon
    2) honey and pumpkin pie spice
    3) peanut butter, jelly, and peanuts :)
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I recently stopped buying the flavored chobani when I realized how high sugar it was. Even the "chobani champions" (for kids) was high sugar for the smaller serving size. I'll sometimes put a dollop of the plain on fresh fruit, which is great in its own way, but it doesn't have that "take it with you, ready made, convenient" thing that pre-flavored yogurts have.

then, just today I found this: Siggi's Icelandic Style Skyr yogurt. It's got that same super thick style as greek yogurt but MUCH less added sugar. The sugar they do add is agave which they claim has a lower glycemic index, though I'm not informed enough about that to judge. Even if "sugar is sugar" the amount is significantly lower. It's definitely not as sweet, and the blueberry I tried didn't have any fruit chunks, but for the calories and sugar saved, it's worth it.

see nutritional info here: http://skyr.com/skyr.html
  • VeggieKidMandy
    VeggieKidMandy Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    hey I got the yoplait Strawberry yogurt ( greek x2 protein ) its relatively low is sugar and it tastes pretty good. and this coming from someone who CANT STAND yogurt. Hope it helps.
  • sefrank
    sefrank Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I recently stopped buying the flavored chobani when I realized how high sugar it was. Even the "chobani champions" (for kids) was high sugar for the smaller serving size. I'll sometimes put a dollop of the plain on fresh fruit, which is great in its own way, but it doesn't have that "take it with you, ready made, convenient" thing that pre-flavored yogurts have.

then, just today I found this: Siggi's Icelandic Style Skyr yogurt. It's got that same super thick style as greek yogurt but MUCH less added sugar. The sugar they do add is agave which they claim has a lower glycemic index, though I'm not informed enough about that to judge. Even if "sugar is sugar" the amount is significantly lower. It's definitely not as sweet, and the blueberry I tried didn't have any fruit chunks, but for the calories and sugar saved, it's worth it.

see nutritional info here: http://skyr.com/skyr.html

Thanks for the info. I had never seen that brand, I'll have to look for it. Medically I have to keep my carb counts down but love yogurt & sometimes need a change from plain Greek yogurt.