Question to our Success Story folks....

Options
If you are a Success Story, please answer this question for the ones trying to get there......

Other than calorie restriction, what 3 specific things (in order) would you contribute the majority of your beginning weight loss to?

Replies

• katrwal
    katrwal Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your standard is for "success story" (but i'll throw in with my 70 pounds lost):
    1. deciding that i had control over my life and i was tired of being the size i was
    2. getting moving! i hired a personal trainer to help me define an exercise program (i'm way too cheap to hire someone and then skip the gym)
    3. daily reminders to myself that it took me 10 years to put on the weight... so to have reasonable goals.

good luck!
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted many success stories, but after losing 33 pounds in just over 2 months.
    3 Specific Things:

1. Dedication - dedication not only to entering in all of the food and maintaining the proper macros every day, but also dedication to working out and looking forward to new habits, not looking back at the bad ones
    2. Sweat - to lose the weight you have to work it off and not only look at calorie restriction. Find a workout that works best for you and stick with it. You name it, I have tried it throughout my life... and right now - surprisingly - YOGA of all things is working best for me as I have never seen results like this before!! :wink:
    3. MFP - This site has done wonders for me. I might not have that many friends on here, but it has given me insight on what I am eating and what I should avoid. I can't imagine eating 3/4 of the things that I was eating before starting this in June.

I hope that this helps... feel free to ask anymore questions or friend me for some support whenever you need it!!
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Motivation - A clear reason why I was doing it and the goals I had for myself. Any time the going got tough, I could always rely on my motivation to carry me through. Results only made it stronger.

Consistency - Did not half a** anything. No skipping logging. No missing workouts. Give 100% and find a rhythm with it. Consistely improve everything.

Patience - No expectations of overnight miracles. Content with a slow going methodical approach with reasonable goals and expectations.
  • 23SVM88
    23SVM88 Posts: 47
    Options
    bump
  • amyhoss
    amyhoss Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Great question!! I am also interested in these answers.
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    1. Moving...just the simple act of walking, jogging, dancing-whatever you enjoy and will keep doing, find something that makes you move! I'm starting to notice the changes in me that everyone else keeps talking about!
    2. Making the committment-not just to work out and stop letting my eating be MASSIVELY out of control, but committment to log (honestly) what I eat and drink. And also reminding myself that one bad choice or bad day does not define me now-it is a process and a lifestyle change that flows with me-it's not a rigid set of do's and don'ts
    3. Water! I used to drink nothing but soda and sweet tea-and I'm southern, so that sweet tea was just colored water! Now, I drink ONLY water...and I can't even tell you how much it has made a difference for me! My migraines are generally less frequent, my joints don't tend to ache as bad, and I just feel better!
  • shirayne
    shirayne Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    1- That little thing inside my head that kept telling me "It's now or never"!
    2- Water, water, and more water (Can that count as just one thing? This was and still is a challenge for me.)
    3- Walking (My dog thanks me by the way.)
  • CRichards22
    Options
    First and foremost-- telling myself not to let one screw up turn into a screwed up day, into a screwed up week.....If I messed up and drank too much one night or ate a piece of cake that was it. Fresh start the next day. Do not put your plan/diet on hold until Monday. Start fresh with the next meal or the next day!!!!!! This has been huge in my success!!!

1. Replacing all of my diet soda with WATER- making a point to down a huge glass before every meal and snack becaude that helps me meet me water goal and fills my stomach before the food goes in.

2. Sweat- Make myself have at least 30 minutes of sweating/ getting my body moving every day.

3. Being HONEST with myself and my logging on MFP. If I ate a cookie I logged it, If I ate 10 I logged it. The scale is going to tell the truth anyway!

Good luck with your journey!!
  • garfield89
    garfield89 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So far I've lost 10 out of the 22 pounds I need to lose, so to me that's a great success!

My three things are:

1.) Reminding myself I didn't become unhealthy overnight, instead it was over the course of two years, so I made realistic goals accordingly.
    2.) MFP - not at first, but after a few months of on and off logging I started to use this site to its fullest extent. It has now been two straight months of healthy logging and consistency!
    3.) Keep moving, even on the days you don't want to. Even if you don't have the energy to do an intense work-out, a two mile walk is still better than sitting on the couch.
  • kjmarks11
    Options
    1. Finding a workout that works for YOUR body. Treadmills/Ellipticals & strict cardio based workouts did nothing for me. Weightlifting is the workout for MY BODY. Noticeable results in 3 weeks! (lifting 4 times per week)

2. Surrounding yourself with health-minded people, articles, activities. This can be challenging but it's one of the great motivators for me - having people to discuss healthy habits, ideas, recipes with.

3. Commitment - carve out that hour every day no matter how you feel. Find someone that will meet you in the gym at the same time every day. Write down or plan your workout before you get to the gym and finish it - no matter what!
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I have not posted a success story yet but I am down 34lbs. Here are my 3:

1. Water. Drink as much as you can, every day. Space it out if you need to. I try for one bottle (25oz) between breakfast and lunch then 2 more before I get home, then some with dinner.

2. Figure out what works for you. One person might lose quickly at 1300 or 2300 but just bc it works for them, doesnt mean it will for you. We are each different so experiment, figure out what your body responds to. Take all advice (food, exercise, etc) with a grain of salt. Dont go low carb/high protein bc some random stranger on the internet told you to. Think about how eating that way will affect your life, is it workable (meaning do you cook for more than just you or maybe you have a long commute and dont like to spend a lot of time cooking). Then think about it some more and research.

3. Flippin relax. Dont let MFP, food and exercise rule your life. I said something to my husband the other day and he said "well you do tend to get obsessed" and it made me think about what I talk about, think about and do all the time. Stressing and obsessing wont drop the lbs. And if you do feel over whelmed, its ok to take a step back. I got so worked up when I started that I had to delete the app and not log for the weekend. I came back stronger and more devoted.

Also, log everything even if it is just a guess.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    72 lbs lost so far.

1. Work out everyday. What you do doesn't matter as much as getting used to doing it. An hour a day, everyone has an hour!!!
    2. No Drinking!!!!! It only hurts your goals. You want to gain muscle? It hurts that. You want to lose weight? It hurts that too.
    3. Embrace your new way of life!!!!! I love it, working out is my favorite thing to do now, not a chore. I don't even crave junk at all.
  • mateo57505
    mateo57505 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I rarely post but over the last year and a hald I have lost 45lbs ( my pic is when I was at my heaviest) and I would have to say its the following three things.

1. Life style change- You have to realize you are changing your lifestyle (even if it is one thing at a time), which encompases alot of changes but knowing your changing how you live to a healty lifestyle helps you get the mind set that I'm doing this for the rest of my life, even when I hit my target weight. Thinking its a "diet" or I'll do this until I hit my goal, will end up being short term and can cause you to stop doing things that got you to reach your goal.

2. Exercise- Understanding and accepting the fact that due to a lifestyle that doesnt cause me to use much energy I will have to do some sort if activity at least 4 or 5 days a week to stay strong, active and in shape. Just like being lazy (watching tv and eating unhealthy) was a part of my life daily, I need to do some sort of exercise daily to maintian and stay healthy.

3. Encouragment - Having people around men to encourage me and adjusting my freinds to people that wanted the same things as I did helped me keep going. When I was overweight I had freinds that loved eating out, watching sports, drinking beer and doing other things that were just unhealthy. So I started to surround my self with people that wanted to be healthy also. The support of my wife and freinds with the same goals and desire to be healthy was very helpful and contributes to a lifestyle change.
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Still a success in progress, but after 37 pounds lost:
    1. Just plain ol' DESIRE - I want this so bad!
    2. Commitment - It's kind of like...No, not kind of like, COMPLETELY like marriage to me: If i want it to work out, I can't quit when the going gets tough. I'm in this for the long haul because I made a promise to myself, a commitment.
    3. I know that anything worth doing is going to be and should be HARD. Easy won't make me skinny!

So when I don't feel like going to the gym and I'm sick of counting calories, I remind myself of these 3 things: that I want it, that I'm committed to it, and that it's not supposed to be easy.
  • pedoney
    pedoney Posts: 2
    Options
    I had reconstructive surgery on my ankle and was using a walker and crutches followed by months of self-pity and inertia.
    When the scale tipped at 168 pounds, I freaked. It took about a year and a few months for my ankle to "turn the corner" to where I could get active again. When I started, I needed several ice packs on many joints. I knew I would have fluid on my knees until I lost more weight...sure enough, now, at 144, I don't need ice packs anymore. My goal is to hit 138 to 140, give or take.

I lost weight (24 pounds) by...slowly losing it...
    lose 2... 2 weeks later... lose 2...etc.

activities
    running in place (seriously) in front of the TV.
    (10 min. to begin with and then gradually more. I can run in place for an hour now.)
    I can't run on lumpy terrain yet, so this activity has really built a strong base!
    My living room rug is very forgiving on my joints

treadmill
    I queue up some serious action-packed movies to keep me entertained.
    I shoot for 300 calories each session

walking
    I try to squeeze in a walk or 2 each day
    Min. 20 min.

food
    I load up on veggies and fruit
    grape tomatoes and plums galore
    I limit the pasta and bread

booze
    NO BEER! NO MARGARITAS!
    It's a killer!!!

It's no longer a diet... It's totally a lifestyle for me now.
    It's easier with a better rhythm... when I eat, I log it. When I workout, I log it.
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    If you are a Success Story, please answer this question for the ones trying to get there......

Other than calorie restriction, what 3 specific things (in order) would you contribute the majority of your beginning weight loss to?
    1. Activity - any activity incorporated into my daily routine, no matter how intense.
    2. Planning ahead - cutting up fruits and veggies, grocery shopping, using measuring cups and tupperware, meal planning, checking menus online before going out to eat, etc...
    3. Being consistent and determined to stick with it. Everyone has a bad day here and there. Just pick up the pieces and start fresh tomorrow. Nobody loses 20 or 100 pounds over night or in a months time. Every little bit of a pound helps!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    1. Accepting myself the way I am, deciding that I am worth caring for, and making health my goal, rather than an arbitrary number. Along those lines, my diet became focused more on "nourishment" and less on "restriction." My exercise became more for enjoyment and felt less like punishment. I quit looking at fitness models for inspiration and started looking at my own progress instead.
    2. Exercise! Almost everyday--we need rest days, ya know. Something that you actually enjoy and look forward to doing makes it easier to stick with. Plus it increases energy and improves mood.
    3. Patience. I was not in a hurry to lose weight--I made HEALTHY LIFESTYLE changes that I thought I could live with FOREVER. When I was overweight, I saw even a 0.2 lb. loss was a step in the right direction. These slow, steady losses eventually led to a healthy BMI. I also realized that the scale was only one indicator of health and used it in its proper context.

Good luck on your journey!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm not fully there yet in my goals but I am a success and have changed quit a bit. With 19 pounds to go.

1. Water - For me it's been getting off soda and drinking water.

2. Planning my day - I have to know all my meals before I eat anything, I want to have an accurate count of what I'm putting into my body for the day, if I have calories left over I know if I'm still hungry I can grab something else. I plan out my workouts, I don't log them in here until I have done them all because sometimes things come up and I can't get to them.

3. Keeping myself accountable - This goes hand and hand with the above but not really the same thing. I have a offline journal I write in and I try to log my day in there, I also like to write out things in it that have triggered me to do certain things. I use to be an emotional eater and I think doing this has really helped me break that habit. Say I'm feeling mad, hurt, sad, whatever and that feeling of food comes to mind, I write about how I handled it, what caused me to feel that way. I was gonna keep those kind of things on here but I can't some things are personal. This helps me to go back and remind myself what works and what don't work for me. Example: "I'm feeling mad, something is going on and making me mad so I went for a jog and now I can't remember what it was that made me mad. I put on my music and just ran, now I'm feeling better." Or "My husband and I are fighting, I would love to dig into that ice cream, but instead I got up and got into a squat like stance and started punching the air. Now I'm not thinking about ice cream and I'm not as mad either." These little notes in my journal help me to learn what to do to over come these emotional out breaks of eating for sure.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    1. Logging everything, and weighing and measuring foods at home.

2. 1/2 hour to an hour exercise 3-5 times a week.

3. Water.
  • wendytc
    wendytc Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Great thread! I look forward to checking back for more replies.