Instead of chocolate? Help

Options
I crave (want chocolate) alot!
Im just wondering what people eat instead of chocolate and kills the cravings.
I cant limit myself to a few slabs of dark chocolate either ive tried, its like once I eat it I have to eat the lot :cry:

Feel free to add me as a friend too!x

Replies

• fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Emerald Chocolate Dusted Almonds. Delicious!!!! I usually have 1/2 serving - approx 14 almonds at 75 calories! Takes the craving away for me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but nothing beats chocolate. There is no substitute. i just save some calories for it and keep it to one serving.
  • Jade1x
    Jade1x Posts: 166
    Options
    Emerald Chocolate Dusted Almonds. Delicious!!!! I usually have 1/2 serving - approx 14 almonds at 75 calories! Takes the craving away for me.

These sound yummy, where can you buy them from?
  • julepgirl
    julepgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, but for me it's milk chocolate. Seriously, I can eat a whole bag of "snack size" kit kats in a sitting, if I let myself. My worst cravings come when I'm at work and bored, so a lot of these are for then.

I have to have a lot of different approaches to keep things under control. So I'm going to list them... maybe you'll find one or two that can help you...

1. Sweet red seedless grapes or fresh, pitted cherries. For both, I remove the stems and rinse them before packing them for lunch, or before putting them in a bowl to eat at home. I know, fruit when I want chocolate!? But I eat a lot of them (sometimes I have to force myself to) when I start craving chocolate. Most of the time, that sweetness and snackability satisfies me for a good while.
    2. Buy expensive chocolate. Not just Dove or Ghirardelli, but seriously expensive. Then I feel guilty if I eat more than one a day.
    3. At work, I'll buy a bag of bites of snack size chocolates, and I have a coworker who will keep them safe in her drawer. I go to her when I think I deserve a reward for being so careful all day. You have to have a great coworker for this, someone who has no problem saying, "You had one! That's you're limit! You're cut off!"
    4. Really effective: I log each bite, after I eat it. So if I've got the little Dairy Milk minis, like I do this week, I log each 25cal mini as soon as I've eaten it. Looking at how many calories I've used up that day is a great deterrent.
    5. When I do eat chocolate, I eat it slooooowly. Draw out the flavor from just a couple bites. Again, an exercise in self control, but even if these work some of the time, it's better than never!
    6. Sometimes, instead of a taste of chocolate satisfying a craving, it just makes me want more. I think it's because my craving isn't just a craving, it's hunger too. So any time I'm really craving chocolate, first I make myself eat something more hearty, like a banana, or some nuts or lunch (even if it's a little early) before I let myself have chocolate.
    7. When it's not so hot out, I'll get a lowfat or sugar free hot cocoa, the heat slows me down and I can enjoy it over a long period of time.

There is more, but that's all I can think of right now. I think #1 and #6 help the most. I know grapes have a lot of sugar, but you can eat a ton of them for what chocolate has in a bite.
  • debrapeterson
    debrapeterson Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am the same way, but for me it's milk chocolate. Seriously, I can eat a whole bag of "snack size" kit kats in a sitting, if I let myself. My worst cravings come when I'm at work and bored, so a lot of these are for then.

I have to have a lot of different approaches to keep things under control. So I'm going to list them... maybe you'll find one or two that can help you...

1. Sweet red seedless grapes or fresh, pitted cherries. For both, I remove the stems and rinse them before packing them for lunch, or before putting them in a bowl to eat at home. I know, fruit when I want chocolate!? But I eat a lot of them (sometimes I have to force myself to) when I start craving chocolate. Most of the time, that sweetness and snackability satisfies me for a good while.
    2. Buy expensive chocolate. Not just Dove or Ghirardelli, but seriously expensive. Then I feel guilty if I eat more than one a day.
    3. At work, I'll buy a bag of bites of snack size chocolates, and I have a coworker who will keep them safe in her drawer. I go to her when I think I deserve a reward for being so careful all day. You have to have a great coworker for this, someone who has no problem saying, "You had one! That's you're limit! You're cut off!"
    4. Really effective: I log each bite, after I eat it. So if I've got the little Dairy Milk minis, like I do this week, I log each 25cal mini as soon as I've eaten it. Looking at how many calories I've used up that day is a great deterrent.
    5. When I do eat chocolate, I eat it slooooowly. Draw out the flavor from just a couple bites. Again, an exercise in self control, but even if these work some of the time, it's better than never!
    6. Sometimes, instead of a taste of chocolate satisfying a craving, it just makes me want more. I think it's because my craving isn't just a craving, it's hunger too. So any time I'm really craving chocolate, first I make myself eat something more hearty, like a banana, or some nuts or lunch (even if it's a little early) before I let myself have chocolate.
    7. When it's not so hot out, I'll get a lowfat or sugar free hot cocoa, the heat slows me down and I can enjoy it over a long period of time.

There is more, but that's all I can think of right now. I think #1 and #6 help the most. I know grapes have a lot of sugar, but you can eat a ton of them for what chocolate has in a bite.

I think these are some really good ideas.
  • fabandfunat51
    fabandfunat51 Posts: 117 Member
    Options

These sound yummy, where can you buy them from?

We got them from Sam Club, but I've seen them in the supermarket as well.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    Chocolate graham crackers. Chocolate/cookie craving in one and a 130cal serving is two sheets.
  • mandy031383
    mandy031383 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I usually do the 80% cocoa and about a half a square is good for me. But, that isn't going to help you so my other alternatives are some cool whip free with strawberries or if I really need chocolate a 90 calroie fiber one brownie bar. Not the best sub but it does work for me. :) good luck
  • marijasmin
    marijasmin Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Frozen morello cherries

Jasmin
  • tanias001
    tanias001 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    carrob is good
  • beckydunks
    beckydunks Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    weight watchers double chocolate chip cookies 75 calories for 2 biscuits :)
  • julepgirl
    julepgirl Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I thought of one more - pudding or yogurt! I've had low-cal versions of both that are at least palatable, and sometimes pretty darn good! There was a chocolate mint yogurt I had a while back that was like candy.

Also, and with all due respect to Tania... in my chocolate-addicted opinion? Carob is not good. I've been tricked into it three times, and I don't understand how people think it can be a replacement for chocolate.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I do dark chocolate. I read on one of the forums about a sea salt dark chocolate and bought a bar. They are INCREDIBLE!! 1 square is 45 calories and it will kill the craving. It's made by Lindt.
  • Sadiemae2008
    Options
    I think carob generally works best if you do a 50/50 with cocoa. :-) But it still takes some getting used to.
  • Luciabella07
    Luciabella07 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Just tried Nature Valley Oats and Dark Chocolate Granola Bar...its really good and it satisfied my sweet tooth.
  • Filomenaaa
    Filomenaaa Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    teaspoon of nutella on a rice cake for me, also those protein bars can sub for a small meal or snack and come in alot of chocolate flavors
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    fiber one browines...90 calories each and yummy...or fiber one chewy bars...90 calories too...Chocolate peanut butter is my fav!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    carrob is good

No it isn't. :laugh:

Sorry, I couldn't help adding my two cents on that one. My hubby got me to try carob a long time ago. Just...ewww... totally NOT chocolate at all.
  • cre8inmee
    cre8inmee Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Learned this is the Metabolic Effect (google them. lots of info) - organic powdered cocoa in a hot cup of water. Add Stevia as needed. KILLS your cravings.

Also, one square of 65% dark chocolate is helpful as well. Low on sugar. (Jorge Cruise, The Belly Fat Cure)
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Chocolate Cheerios (I like to eat one or one half of a serving dry-with out milk)

Blue Diamond Dark Chocolate Almonds (100 Calorie Pack)

Hershey's Aerated Kisses (I think they are 18 cals per Kiss - just keep the bag out of sight so you don't eat the whole thing!)

KRAVE cereal (I think it's by Kellogs) I like to do one serving of it dry. It lasts a long time. There is creamy chocolate in the middle. It's pretty much AMAZING.