Not losing wt

Options
I'm really depressed, I have pcos and is difficult for me t loose wt. I have cut out soda, trying to count my calories, going for walks 3-4 times a week for 45 minutes for the last 2 months. I lost 3 pounds, got my period on Wednesday i checked my wt today and gained 3 pounds...

Replies

• KristenAFL
    Options
    Well, TOM for me usually means a temporary weight gain due to retention. It will probably come off a day or two after TOM ends.
  • denmark979
    denmark979 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    most people retain water on their period anyways. unless you give in to the sweet tooth that it brings you should be okay. i actually lose weight on my period because your body burns more calories during the process. sorry about the pcos.
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    it's not just you. my daughter and a few others on here are struggling for the same reasons. i'll see if i can get some of them to friend you and maybe y'all can help each other.
  • 1104Jen
    1104Jen Posts: 27
    Options
    I have pcos too. I've lost 6 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks. It is possible! I haven't had soda since last November. I drink 8-10 glasses of h2o a day. I eat smaller meals every 3-4 hours and protein at every meal. For pcos it is very important to pair protein with any carb, per my nutritionist's advice. I make sure to eat lots of fruit and veggies daily also.
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    you need to do intervals or high intensity training. it will boost your immune system. Intead of walking 30+ minutes try 15 -20 minutes of super hard run 1 minute then jog or walk min and alternate for 15-20 minutes.
  • brainache78
    Options
    Well first of all, please don't lose heart. You are doing so well to stick with it for 2 months and you've lost weight! I know it must feel slow and frustrating, but it is in the right direction - and with PCOS, I think the less body fat you have, the fewer symptoms you have, so the more you lose, the more you are able to lose (if you see what I mean?)

It's easy for me to say, but you are doing all the right things to make you healthier. I think we fixate on the weight side of things, when actually, it's your all-round health that matters. You are getting stronger and healthier and the weight will look after itself if you stick to that.

Be proud of yourself and stay here. People will spur you on. Is there any way you can add a bit of weight training into your week? You only need some hand weights. That will make you start to change shape, even if the scale doesn't move much and that will make you feel better. I also think it does speed up your metabolism a bit.

Good luck. Hang in there and well done on your loss so far.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    There are so MANY variables in this

How many calories are you consuming? (could you be over estimating the caloric intake)
    There is a PCOS group on here - I have PCOS and I find the lower carb my diet is, the better I feel.
    TOM - you will always gain anywhere between 3-5 lbs that week

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/search?phrase=PCOS

A list of different PCOS groups available on MFP - check them out
  • LeeshaNichole
    LeeshaNichole Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have pcos as well- make sure you are watching your carb intake, also watch refined sugar, lots of water and portion control. Also, eating mostly clean as really helped me. Watch your sodium intake and cut out the processed food. Also, try adding a little sport in there, 45mins of tennis a week has bumped up my weight loss. Hope that helps a little, feel free to friend me or msg me if you have any questions! Good luck hon!
  • danyeinarson
    Options
    Are you taking your measurements? You may find that you're not losing weight, but losing inches.
    Don't lose focus, keep strong, you're fighting the right battle and you will come out on top.
    We believe in you! <3
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I'm really depressed, I have pcos and is difficult for me t loose wt. I have cut out soda, trying to count my calories, going for walks 3-4 times a week for 45 minutes for the last 2 months. I lost 3 pounds, got my period on Wednesday i checked my wt today and gained 3 pounds...

Since you have PCOS, you probably have insulin resistance too. I have had IR in the past, and I am pretty sure it is back. It took me 3 months of busting *kitten* in the gym to lose 7 pounds ( 90 minutes 3-4x a week). I cut my carbs from ~250g per day down to ~100g net per day...and have lost 19.2 pounds in about 3 1/2 months. Sounds to me like it would be more beneficial for you to make sure you limit your carbs.

Most women DO gain some weight with their period, but it goes away within a few days of finishing.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    You want to know what helps me stay calm when the scale fools with my head? remember it takes actually eating 3500 calories above your maintence level to gain a real pound. Have you done that? If the answer is no. The weight is false weight gain. ok? It is not possible that you gained real fat unless you ate your way there.

I think this way also when I slip up and go off my eating plan. I honestly track what I ate..and realize I might have gone over 500 calories..and if I cut down the next few days..or excercise I can compensate for it.

Try that line of thinking..it really helps.
  • cPT_Helice
    cPT_Helice Posts: 403
    Options
    People will better be able to help you, if you make your diary public. You say you have cut out soda and are trying to count your calories. Are you counting them or not? I don't mean to sound cold but If you are not in a calorie deficit, you will not lose weight. End of story.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too and I've gained about 3 lbs since my period... at least you have periods though! That is a very positive sign. Feel free to add me and take a look at my diary.
  • DonnaLeeCattes
    DonnaLeeCattes Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I have a thyroid disorder (it doesn't work anymore) and when I gave soda up completely I lost 10 lbs. I stayed at the same weight so I started this here counting my calories and all and have so far lost another 7 lbs in the last week.Everything I put in my mouth gets counted. So just keep trying your doing good, if I can do it you can too.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too. The only way I lose weight is extremely slowly. And then there are massive fluctuations in lbs every month. What has worked for me is this:

1. Put the scale away. I only weigh once a month now. I've gone from driving myself crazy over scale numbers back to relative sanity and it's been amazing.
    2. Invest in a measuring tape.
    3. Work out 3 to 4 times a week and push hard, whether it's doing sprints for cardio or lifting weights (even a bodyweight circuit makes a world of difference)
    4. Limit your carbohydrate intake to around 100g a day. It's hard but not impossible, and it make a huge difference especially given that PCOS-sufferers tend to be insulin resistant.
    5. DON'T GIVE UP. AND DON'T HALF *kitten* IT. Do it all 100% and yes, it's going to take a really long time and you're going to have to put in 3 times the effort your non-PCOS friends put in but if you stick with it and you keep pushing hard it will happen.
  • ckmowery2000
    ckmowery2000 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I don't have pcos...but I have a health disability also. The medicines I take ut on my unwanted weight. You just have to keep looking at the big picture. I was getting depressed b/c I only lost 3 pounds in about 3 weeks. I started drinking lots of water with lemon and fresh mint in it. That is like a cleanser. It is helping me with my weight lose and doesn't cost as much as the cleansing products they sell. I am also taking B-12. Hopefully try that and it will give you some results that your looking for. Don't fight into the temptation! Good Luck!
  • mjoe0326
    Options
    Thank you guys for all the support!!!!

I will keep counting calories and exercise, i will get to my goal!!!

I feel way better today!!!!

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!