Supplementation

Options
Hello MFP-ites,

Just wondering how you supplement your nutrition and fitness programs. Sometimes sharing and seeing what other people do can help many of us.

I use the following in addition to my nutrition:

1- Mike's Mix Recovery Drink - This has helped me tons after my workouts and I know there are many products but I like this one the best.
2- AST Multi Pro 32X - These vitamins have worked for me especially with the P90X program, it's a more cost effective alternative to the beach body product.
3- As additional supplements I take 1.5gr of L-Arginine, 1.2gr of Fenugreek, and 1mg of Milk Thistle (I have or used to have a fatty liver, plus this help detox my liver) All these supplements have helped me, I feel a difference when I take them and when I don't.
4- Have tried Yoked (Arginine Nitrate) with my lift days but haven't really felt much of a difference, I still get a pump without it so I have dropped it.
5- I tried the beachbody Shakeology once and it was great, however for my wife and I to take this monthly we'd have to dish out $500 a month and that is too much. I found an alternative and they work great
a- Green Foods Magma plus I take 1.5 tsp with my morning shake
b- Green Foods Fusion I take 1.5 tsp with my morning shake
I found that both the Magma Plus and Fusion when combined in a morning shake give me an overall boost to everything. Exactly what the shakeology did but only for a fraction of the price currently my wife and I with both these products spend a total of $50 a month, much better than $500. And it works just as well if not better than the beachbody (no knocking beachbody is great but expensive) at least for my wife and myself.

I would love to hear what many of you supplement with. Just to clarify I supplement and do just that... I don't make any of these my top priority as I get most of my nutrition through my food, but I can't get everything 100% of the time, that is why I supplement.

Replies

• wwoelbel
    wwoelbel Posts: 23
    Options
    I have a scoop of IsoPure Protein and EAS Muscle Armor after the morning swim and again after evening weights. I take a krill oil, glucosamine, multi-vitamin, zinc, and B-complex with lunch. Oh... and an aspirin (regular on sore days and low dose on better days).

Dont take this wrong - I am actually curious: What are you getting out of the Green Foods products? The write-ups seemed a little vague to me.

Bill
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    2- AST Multi Pro 32X - These vitamins have worked for me especially with the P90X program, it's a more cost effective alternative to the beach body product.

Please describe how you can tell vitamins are "working." Thanks.
  • courtneyprudhomme
    Options
    I have taken advocare supplements in the past.. but they get too pricey.. I have TRIED the shakeology and think they taste terrible (if it tastes bad i wont be able to maintaining drinking/eating it).. so now I do VIsalus protein shakes.. they taste SO good and are very affordable.. it ends up costing like $1.68 per shake.
  • TenderBranson
    TenderBranson Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My only staple supplements are

Fish Oil
    Multi
    Creatine
    Whey protein (only when I'm in a hurry or don't get enough during the day)
  • rhondac46
    rhondac46 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why Shakeology cost you $500 a month. I am a coach and I get it just about free. Sent you a PM
  • wwoelbel
    wwoelbel Posts: 23
    Options

Not specifically vitamins but... I feel that my post workout protein and muscle armor shake is "working" in that I feel better quicker when I have it. I'm less sore and the fatigue fades quicker. Of course, this is purely subjective and would only be semi-valid if I did a placebo test but.... Its not that much money and there are no reported negative side effects. I am taking krill/fish oil to lower my blood pressure. I know that it is working in that my BP is falling. Of course, this is terrible science in that I have done many things to lower my blood pressure - better diet, cardio, strength training, avoiding sodium, and some minor supplements. The only thing that I can really say with confidence is that the overall program has resulted in my lower blood pressure.
  • tito7388
    tito7388 Posts: 37 Member
    Options

It's difficult but as far as feeling alert and having energy to get through my workouts and my day. I haven't changed my diet much but when I ran out of the multivitamin's I just didn't feel the same. I would get tired quicker and drag a little throughout my day. As soon as I got my shipment a couple weeks later into my 2 day upon taking them I started feeling more umphed. It's hard to explain but I did notice a big difference.

I haven't tried any other multi since this particular one is still helping.
  • wolfpack77
    wolfpack77 Posts: 655
    Options
    I only use two or three because I get 95% of my nutrition from food sources.

1. multivitamin
    2. fish oil

I do occasionally drink a whey shake, but only if I dont have time to prep a real meal. Whey accounts for less than 10% of my weekly protein intake.
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    1. Multi-vitamin in the morning (I have problems with B and iron deficiencies, even when I eat well)
    2. Whey protein powder on lifting days when I'm not getting enough protein
  • tito7388
    Options
    I have a scoop of IsoPure Protein and EAS Muscle Armor after the morning swim and again after evening weights. I take a krill oil, glucosamine, multi-vitamin, zinc, and B-complex with lunch. Oh... and an aspirin (regular on sore days and low dose on better days).

Dont take this wrong - I am actually curious: What are you getting out of the Green Foods products? The write-ups seemed a little vague to me.

Bill

I guess my inclination was for the antioxidant effects of all the berry extracts in there. I've eaten unhealthy most of my life and would like a little more help undoing all the damage. It has some other ingredients that seem to be beneficial however I'm no expert. I replace a breakfast with a shake in the morning 4 times a week, I do add some whey to the shake to make it more filling and at times especially on the days when I do Plyometrics and Legs & Backs I mix in 1/2 cup of cooked oatmeal.
    It keeps me going in the morning I didn't notice any down part from replacing a meal which consisted of whole foods.

I definitely have noticed changes to my skin, it's much clearer and the "zits" from working out and sweating have gone for the most part. Not sure I can attribute it to the shake though.

I don't rely on these products religiously as I like my meals to make up most of my nutrition but I know it is very difficult to balance and get all of the benefits so I kind of just fill the gaps.
  • tito7388
    Options
    I only use two or three because I get 95% of my nutrition from food sources.

1. multivitamin
    2. fish oil

I do occasionally drink a whey shake, but only if I dont have time to prep a real meal. Whey accounts for less than 10% of my weekly protein intake.

You wouldn't mind if I look at your food diary would you?
    It's always good to see what those who have accomplished eat and so forth.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    My super fat burning stack

Shakeology

Raspberry Ketones

L Carnitine

Green Coffee Bean extract

African Mango Extract

Macha Green Tea

CLA
  • msstuard
    msstuard Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Multi
    Vitamin D
    Fish oil
    Chromium
    Biotin

Flaxseed and or Chia seed

The chromium and Biotin I may drop when I run out. I work hard at getting everything thru whole foods. But as you said it can be tough.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    My super fat burning stack

Shakeology

Raspberry Ketones

L Carnitine

Green Coffee Bean extract

African Mango Extract

Macha Green Tea

CLA
    Dr. Oz approved! :bigsmile: