Strength Training

Options
I'm working on developing a strength training routine and wanted to know people's thoughts on targeting specific muscle group(s) in one day versus a more holistic body approach. I see examples of 4 day routines that incorporate 3-4 exercises (3 sets per exercise/8-12 reps per set) setup for instance like:

Day 1: Chest
Day 2: Shoulders & Biceps
Day 3: Back & Triceps
Day 4: Legs

I also see routines like this:
Day 1: Chest/Arms/Shoulders
Day 2: Back/Legs
Day 3: Chest/Arms/Shoulders (different exercises than Day 1)
Day 4: Back/Legs (different exercises than Day 2)

Is there any benefit to one approach over the other or is it just one of those "whatever works for you" scenarios? I currently follow a routine closer to the first example, which allows me to lift heavier but I'm only working those muscles generally once a week. I'm sure I'm not the first to ask this question... just looking for any more experienced feedback. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cyncetastic
    Options
    Everyone has a different split that they think is best. Honestly - it's all about being consistent and actually sticking to it. If you find you enjoy a certain split better and you feel more motivated to keep going, then by all means, keep doing it. As long as you're incorporating most of the muscle groups, I dont see why your split should matter.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I do my whole upper body in 1 workout - bench press, french press, lat pull downs, rows (alt bent and standing) flys, side and front lifts, triscep kick backs, curls (either hammer and preacher or standing curls and concentration) all lifting heavy... start with 3 set of 8 work up to 3 set of 12 feeling easy - put on more weight

Rest day 2

Day 3 lower body - squats, dead lifts, hammstrig lists, toe raises, Weighted abs, quads, hamstrings all lifting heavy... start with 3 set of 8 work up to 3 set of 12 feeling easy - put on more weight

Rest day 3

Day 4 upper again

The only drawback with this is it can take 50 minutes per session.
  • NorCalRey
    NorCalRey Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. If you are new to strength training, you will probably see faster progress if you start with a whole body workout rather that any type of split. Stick with the more complex exercises like press, rows, squats, etc. Once you become more advanced is when you will want to switch to a split and add in more isolation exercises. Good luck!
  • Everythin2Lose
    Options
    My PT has me on an upper body (curls, leg presses, situps, chinups, hover, bent over rows...) and lower body (squat presses, leg press, weighted stepups, dips, hovers, situps) split with a rest day in between. Tends to work for me because they get a work out twice a week. I also do some core strength in a pilates/taichi/yoga class once or twice a week plus cardio's on the days in between..... keeps me burning all week long but also gives my big muscle groups a chance to repair so I can hit it again. Make sure you switch it up to keep your body guessing :)