TMI...but it is a serious question.

Options
Recently I have started notice that my urine smells sweet after working out. It normally smells like ammonia afterwards, but the sweet smell is new. I hydrate really well and it's still mostly clear. I have been using protein powder (and the bars) for the past week, and that is when the smell started. Could this be causing it? I also eat low carb bt 80 to 160g (avg) a day. Could this be ketones in the urine? Has anyone else had anything similar? I know this is TMI but i dont know where else to ask.

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i am not sure, maybe you should call your dr? or go to a medical supply store, you can buy little strips to test your urine to make sure it's normal range and you're not spilling ketones. good luck, sorry can't think of anything else.
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    i am not sure, maybe you should call your dr? or go to a medical supply store, you can buy little strips to test your urine to make sure it's normal range and you're not spilling ketones. good luck, sorry can't think of anything else.

already made an appt for tomorrow.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It's good you're able to see the doctor. It can be a sign of diabetes, not exclusively but it wouldn't hurt to get it tested. Good luck!
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    Weird. My urine smelled like tuna after eating a tuna sub last week.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Weird. My urine smelled like tuna after eating a tuna sub last week.

Edit because it was gross.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Why in the **** are you sniffing your pee? :sick:
  • betrayalunknown
    Options
    Me too.... I haven't gone to see a Doctor yet nor have I gotten any urine testing strips. My urine usually smells like coffee... but many times throughout the day ( I urinate frequently)... It smells very sweet. Unlike you, my carbs range between 280-400 daily... but mostly from fruits and veggies. So I'm not quite sure if I have anything to worry about as far as diabetes go, since I rarely consume sugar and as far as "medicine" is concerned, fruit sugars cannot give you diabetes... I guess we'll have to see about that.

Well, I hope everything works out for you. Keep us posted. Stay healthy.
  • Julz2586
    Julz2586 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Why in the **** are you sniffing your pee? :sick:

LOL ^^^^ this!
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    What tha....?

Never thought I'd see the day where I would actually prefer a TOM post.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    When I eat a lot of asparagus mine smells awesome......I almost want to give myself a golden shower.
  • cindy6649
    cindy6649 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I bet its the ketones. I'm in ketosis and mine definitely smells. It started within a few days of me significantly cutting down on carbs and has continued. It's very common when you're body is in ketosis. You'll find a lot people complaining about it if you Google it.

Oh and for the person who asked why you're smelling your urine, you aren't doing it on purpose. If you breathe, you're going to smell it. It's considered one of the most annoying symptoms of ketosis.

As bad as the smell is, the good news is that you're burning fat!
  • kristi27278
    kristi27278 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Increased ketones in your urine can cause a fruity sweet smell.
  • mccbabe1
    mccbabe1 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I bet its the ketones. I'm in ketosis and mine definitely smells. It started within a few days of me significantly cutting down on carbs and has continued. It's very common when you're body is in ketosis. You'll find a lot people complaining about it if you Google it.

Oh and for the person who asked why you're smelling your urine, you aren't doing it on purpose. If you breathe, you're going to smell it. It's considered one of the most annoying symptoms of ketosis.

best NON smart *kitten* advice of the post!! ^^^^ =)
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Me too.... I haven't gone to see a Doctor yet nor have I gotten any urine testing strips. My urine usually smells like coffee... but many times throughout the day ( I urinate frequently)... It smells very sweet. Unlike you, my carbs range between 280-400 daily... but mostly from fruits and veggies. So I'm not quite sure if I have anything to worry about as far as diabetes go, since I rarely consume sugar and as far as "medicine" is concerned, fruit sugars cannot give you diabetes... I guess we'll have to see about that.

I would still get it checked. It's not necessarily a matter of how much sugar you eat. You are actually young enough to get Type 1. It doesn't hurt to check, but it hurts to have it and not know it.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Google diabetes and sweet urine ... the two go hand in hand. Have yourself tested to rule this out before enjoying the entertaining responses on this thread.
  • SofaKingRad
    SofaKingRad Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options

best NON smart *kitten* advice of the post!! ^^^^ =)

Mine wasn't a smart *kitten* post. I was serious. It really did smell like the tuna sub I ate.
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It could mean diabetes.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes at all, doesn't matter if it's fruit sugar or not. It's a genetic disease.
  • samrockrocks
    samrockrocks Posts: 251 Member
    Options

Sugar doesn't cause diabetes at all, doesn't matter if it's fruit sugar or not. It's a genetic disease.

Um.... Type 2 diabetes is NOT genetic.
  • iammegs
    iammegs Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Anytime it changes smells, it indicates something's changed with your body... or you've eaten something weird. (the tuna and asparagus posts are all too true)

But it could be anything ranging from ketosis or diabetes to a UTI - UTIs aren't always painful.

I'm glad so many have already suggested the doctor, as that's the person who'll tell you what's up. Keep us posted!