Help, fiber's not working

Options

Replies

• jeanninecurran
    jeanninecurran Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    aloe juice works great and has no calories. Make sure you buy the natural kind. I also sometimes buy the whole leaf and peel it and put a chunk of the gel in a blender then add either water or make a healthy smoothie. It is all natural and will make you go. I take medication that binds me and the aloe is a life saver
  • realmaverick
    Options
    I feel your pain. I am totally bunged up and I don't know why.

I am taking Benefibre or Fibre force, ground flax seed, drinking a ton of water and even Magnesium but I am still not regular.

I am struggling to lose weight and I'm sure it's got something to do with being so bunged up.

I actually feel as though I've got a block somewhere, even when I have D from taking a laxative, I don't feel clear.

I wish I could figure this out. I eat a lot of cereal atm, maybe that's the issue?
  • tkcasta
    tkcasta Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    WATER and also, you may want to add a probiotic.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I have the best luck with cashews.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having that problem! It can be so painful. :(

I am on meds that can cause severe constipation. Ugh. I found that if I keep eating veggies (as in 1/2 to 1/3 of each meal in veggies), eat oatmeal with berries and flax seed, eat nuts and fiber bars and drink plenty of water, I stay pretty regular. I also drink 1-2 cups of coffee in the morning and sometimes that's enough to do the job. Also, that's a lot of fiber and I have to take Beano or I can't go in public but it helps me avoid 'that' miserable problem.

Good luck and I hope you find a solution and get relief soon!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have the best luck with cashews.
    Only because you're a nut! Jk lol
  • happythermia
    Options
    Coffee? usually does the trick for me!
  • ShellyMacchi
    ShellyMacchi Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    Good fat and water.

the body needs fat... just make good choices and don't go overboard *S*

The main factor for me though is water... if i don't get at least 8-9 (preferably 10-12) cups a day there will be problems *L*
  • Katbaran
    Katbaran Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Everyone has made good suggestions. When I get plugged up, due to pain meds after I've had surgery, what always works for me and I feel so much better than taking laxatives is hot apple cider. Get the cloudy kind that's a little thick. Heat it up and drink a biggish cup--12 oz or so and you should go within a couple hours or overnight. The calories can be kind of high with the fruit sugar and all but I think that might be what actually does it for me--the pectin from the apples. Also, like tkcasta said. Probiotics.
  • BodyRockerVT
    BodyRockerVT Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Lots of water and a strong coffee first thing in the AM.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Fiber's only one part of it, fats and lots of water(the more fiber I eat the more water I drink to keep it going)
  • realmaverick
    Options
    Great ideas, thanks guys.

I don't ever eat enough fat it seems. I am always way under and over on sugar. Perhaps part of the issue.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I agree with others - water is the key. I find that if I don't drink enough, no amount of fiber helps. Try adding in at least 16 oz during the afternoon and another 16 at night for a few days.
  • GraceEsther
    GraceEsther Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    psyllium powder in orange juice, once in the morning
  • Jesycah
    Jesycah Posts: 5
    Options
    It has gotten so painful sometimes, my stomach feels like it's about to burst.....I know once I fix this problem, the weight will come off regularly again. I seem to get back up every time I diet...lol.
  • lauries3
    lauries3 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have dealt with this since forever, and I do use laxatives. If you want something more natural but taste disgusting sea salt in warm water. It is so gross. I drink water, and the doc said since I have no fiber in my system it just evaporates and makes it worse. And exercise does not help me either. I am looking for benefiber because that was the one fiber that helped. I had my colon checked and my doc said that I have to eat fruits and veggies 3x a day, and now I go every 2-3 days instead of 5-9. It does help though. I also eat 12 grain bread by natures own once a day on occassion. But I will be honest getting those 3 in is so hard, I have to realy make an effort. If you find something let me know!
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I am with John on this one. If I eat nuts it helps things move along. Although he goes for cashew and I am partial to almonds.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you may have IBS-C. Too much fiber, beans and too many probiotics make me worse, not better. And oatmeal and white rice bind me up as well. All those fiber bars, etc actually do me more harm than good...I'll pm you..

Maybe so... Time to visit the doctor? Nine days is an awful long time. Personally, high fiber grains, beans and vegetables have my bowels in top working condition, but it sounds like the typical treatments aren't working for you. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Shadom
    Shadom Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Fibre without water will plug you. Try to avoid laxatives. Water, water, water.
  • daterminedfatburnerX
    daterminedfatburnerX Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    im like that to no matter how many veggies i dont poop but i found my secret wephon its GRAPE FRUIT BARLEY CEREAL ALL YOU NEED IS LESS THEN HALF OF A HALF A CUP AND YOUR READY TO GO :D