In Need of Some Refrigerator Oatmeal Recipes!

Options

Replies

• NatGnat
    NatGnat Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My current breakfast obsession:
    1/3 cup rolled oats
    1/3 cup almond milk
    1/3 cup 0% Fage greek yogurt
    1/2 tbs agave
    1/2 cup Private Select Triple Berry Medley

Mix everything up (including frozen berries) the night before then feast the next morning!

I love vegan overnight oats too (from Oh She Glows)
    1/2-1 banana
    Handful of baby spinach
    1/4-1/2 cup rolled oats
    1 tbs chia seeds

Blend banana and spinach then mix with chia seeds and oatmeal then wait impatiently until morning (breakfast is my favorite meal) Sometimes I add cinnamon or PB2.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Yummy!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Bump :D
  • mrscewinters
    mrscewinters Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I didn't read all the pages of replies. But I find using a good rtd protein shake works well.
  • StephShuttle
    StephShuttle Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    *BUMP*

Omg what is this and why have I never tried it!?
  • krystina_letitia9
    krystina_letitia9 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to dairy and not a fan of chia - can this be made without yogurt or chia? If so, a recipe would be appreciated! I would love to try this!
  • Dragonldy69
    Dragonldy69 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Here is a thread here on mFP that was posted back a few weeks ago..
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/641423-overnight-oats-why-didn-t-i-do-this-sooner
    Hope it will help you..:drinker:
  • drgooch
    drgooch Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cateyjo
    cateyjo Posts: 108
    Options
    bump
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    All measurements are approximate as I don't actually measure out anything normally.

2 apples ("chopped" in blender on "ice" setting)
    +1.5 cup oats
    +4-6 tbsp chia seeds
    +1.5 tbsp cinnamon
    +1 container plain yogurt (dairy or almond)
    +bit of almond milk

+ blender + 5 small mason jars = decadent breakfast for a week.

If you don't like the seedy texture of the chia seeds you can buy them milled into a powder, or replace with milled flax seeds.
  • Rachaelluvszipped
    Rachaelluvszipped Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    In a small mason jar (size comparable to a PB jar) I add in this order:

1/3 cup almond milk (you can choose between unsweetened and the chocolate; at 1/3 cup, the difference is 25 calories)
    1T unsweetened cocoa
    1/4 cup uncooked old fashioned oats
    1/4 cup greek fat free plain yogurt
    1T chia seeds
    4 to 6 T chocolate PB2
    1 to 2 tsp honey

Close jar and shake until mixed nicely. Then add half a banana, sliced, and stir. Close jar, and let sit in the fridge overnight. You can let it chill for 2 or 3 days if you want, but this stuff is so delicious it is hard to not eat it as soon as it is ready.

For those who haven't seen overnight oats before, you may be hesitant to eat "uncooked" oats, or a oatmeal concoction served chilled. Do it once. You'll be a happier, healthier person. For people who like the idea of chocolate oatmeal, this will be better than your best imaginings.

With maximum ingredient amounts, this recipe comes in under 410 calories of healthy goodness. You can easily edit the sugar/PB2 to reduce calories to approx. 310 calories, or leave out the banana and bring the total in under 275. I recommend full amounts however. Perhaps the most delicious meal you will eat. Try it. Life will change.

So going to try this!!
  • StephShuttle
    StephShuttle Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    What do the Chia seeds do?
    Can they be left out?
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options

1/3 cup almond milk (you can choose between unsweetened and the chocolate; at 1/3 cup, the difference is 25 calories)
    1T unsweetened cocoa
    1T chia seeds
    4 to 6 T chocolate PB2
    1 to 2 tsp honey

Close jar and shake until mixed nicely. Then add half a banana, sliced, and stir. Close jar, and let sit in the fridge overnight. You can let it chill for 2 or 3 days if you want, but this stuff is so delicious it is hard to not eat it as soon as it is ready.

For those who haven't seen overnight oats before, you may be hesitant to eat "uncooked" oats, or a oatmeal concoction served chilled. Do it once. You'll be a happier, healthier person. For people who like the idea of chocolate oatmeal, this will be better than your best imaginings.

With maximum ingredient amounts, this recipe comes in under 410 calories of healthy goodness. You can easily edit the sugar/PB2 to reduce calories to approx. 310 calories, or leave out the banana and bring the total in under 275. I recommend full amounts however. Perhaps the most delicious meal you will eat. Try it. Life will change.

So going to try this!!

It's delicious, but it was my original recipe. Now I recommend making it with 1/2 cup of milk instead of 1/3, and adding about 1.5 T of ground flaxmeal. And 2 tsp of ground coffee is a step toward enlightenment and escaping samsara, the ocean of sadness.
  • quixoteQ
    Options
    What do the Chia seeds do?
    Can they be left out?

They can be left out--they are the hardest of the ingredients to find, certainly. But besides the health benefits (fiber, omega 3s), they also help to provide texture. Same with the 1.5 T of ground flaxmeal. Both are extremely healthy for you, and add a subtle nutty flavor, and great texture.
  • shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    You can definitely leave the Chia out. They are really good for you so it's easy to throw them in oatmeal or similar foods.

My favorite is:

1/2 cup Old Fashioned Oats
    1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
    1 Cup Almond Milk (or coconut, cow's, etc)
    1 scoop Chocolate Protein Powder
    1 tsp Instant Coffee

It's like a mocha dessert for breakfast. SO GOOD!!!
  • njohn1967m
    njohn1967m Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your recipes. I have tried a couple of the refrigerator oatmeal recipes on theyummylife website. Love that site.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Those recipes on that site look stupidly delicious. I've ignored this overnight oats thing more times than I can count...I guess its time to try it. Buying all the stuff tonight to try the PB/Banana one!
  • jehuster
    jehuster Posts: 168
    Options

1T unsweetened cocoa
    1T chia seeds
    4 to 6 T chocolate PB2
    1 to 2 tsp honey

What is PB2 ?
  • bmal76
    bmal76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • quixoteQ
    Options

1T unsweetened cocoa
    1T chia seeds
    4 to 6 T chocolate PB2
    1 to 2 tsp honey

What is PB2 ?
    If you owned a farm called "Bell Plantation" and took a load of peanuts and crushed them down, pressed out all the oil, you'd be able to take what was left and market it as something called "PB2". We can buy PB2 in the form of flour, mix it with a little water, and you have a peanut butter that is about 1/4 the calories of normal peanut butter. There are two products: PB2 and chocolate PB2 (basically PB2 with cocoa). Both contain a bit of sugar, but much less than the stuff you buy at the store (and a bit more than the "only-peanuts" peanut butter you can buy at health food stores).