Motivation while going to college..

Options
Eating healthy and trying to workout while going to school is NOT easy.. It seems like you never have time while trying to balance going to class with working and keeping up on most of your studies. And fast food and other bad food decisions are just so quick and easy to fit into your crazy hectic schedule. This is my third year of school coming up next week, and it seems I am always in a bad mood throughout the semester because I never have time to workout without sacrificing masive amounts of sleep.

What are some ways you fellow college students cope with trying to stay healthy while maintaining the crazy college lifestyle ?

Feel free to add me :)

Replies

• TiasF
    TiasF Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Gahhh!!! This post is my exact life. >__< I'm even a third year college student too! (In a very time consuming program!)
    What my plan is this semester, is to PLAN my meals every Sunday for the week. I also plan to cook a meal in bulk on Sundays and put it in tupperware for the week so I can have meals ready on the go for lunch. And for dinner try to cook or keep easy meals and snacks in supply in my apartment. I buy fruits & veggies in bulk and snack on them whenever I'm hungry. There are tons of free foods at events and meetings at my school and to combat that I plan on eating beforehand or planning around them.
    As far as working out, I am planning my schedule where I wake up early to work out for 30 minutes every morning. It may not seem like much, but it's better than nothing and it'll get me up and going. And as time progresses and it gets easier, I'll probably add more time. I'm also planning on preparing for a run, so I'm going to find some friends to run with (to keep me accountable).
    I hope this helps :)
  • baasland
    baasland Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome! Great planning. I live to plan meals out in advanced then it's really easy to stick to. I think I'm just going to have to force myself to get up even earlier than I have to to go for a short run or something before classes. Ugh this is going to be so terrible lol
  • jamifaith
    Options
    I hear ya, but here are a few things that I started doing last year that helped me with exercise and homework. If you have a textbook to read, bring it to the gym and plant yourself on an exrcise bike. It might not be the same intense workout that you would hae gotten without the book, but find a steady pace and just let your legs peddle away while you read.
    Also while studying, take a 5 minute break every half hour to an hour and do some push ups, crunches, jumping jacks or something of the sort. Its a little break that you know you are going to take anyway, and doing a little exercise will help you be more alert.
    Walk eveywhere. Imm close to graduating, but during my sopomore year I was too poor to waste gas driving anywhere but to work. So I walked as often as possible and it was the beginning to my weight loss. See if there bis a coffee shop or better yet a smoothie shop a mile away from campua and make it your new study spot. Walk there, do homework, walk back.
    I think one of the most important things is to cut out the fast food! Youlll have more energy and be in a better mood if you are eating right and that will make you more inclined to workout. Be realstic and stock up on simple things like apples and yogurt.
    Find a store/restaurant that sells premade sandwhiches and salads. I use to go tof the campus convenience store every other day for lunch and get a sandwhich or salad. It was nice.to have a go to place that I knew would have .something simple for me to grab and I didntt have to worry about ordering off a fast food menu and looking up the.nutrition.info.online.
  • enchanted_daydream
    enchanted_daydream Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It is so hard to find time and motivation! I think you really just have to make time to workout. I know there are times when I just want to watch tv after studying for hours but the thing is exercising is a way better study break and helps me feel less stressed! You could even take a class so that way you will for sure make the time and you get credit too :)
    This semester I am going to attempt to become a morning person for working out so that way at the end of my busy schedule I will not have to worry about fitting in a workout haha it is going to be tough so we will see! Good luck this year and remember you are doing this for yourself! You don't want to look back and wish you had made the change so just try to make the best choices you can and you will be rewarded for it!
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    I'm going into my senior year. I exercise in the morning so I don't have to stress about trying to make it fit in later in the day. Yes, that means i wake up at 5:30 or 6am every day. That also means I don't go out every night of the week and I go to bed at a reasonable time. It's hard being in the college environment with lots of people who like to party all the time, but I value my health and my goals more than that. Choosing to stay in more often and go to bed earlier also means less temptation to make bad food decisions like 2am pizza or Taco Bell. Lol. Me and my friends do like to go out for dinner a lot though too, so I try to suggest places where I can find something decently healthy, like Panera, Chipotle, or Subway.

Anyway, that's what works for me. I'm sure my friends think I'm lame sometimes but I'm sorta over the college party scene and that's fine with me :)
  • baasland
    baasland Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm going into my senior year. I exercise in the morning so I don't have to stress about trying to make it fit in later in the day. Yes, that means i wake up at 5:30 or 6am every day. That also means I don't go out every night of the week and I go to bed at a reasonable time. It's hard being in the college environment with lots of people who like to party all the time, but I value my health and my goals more than that. Choosing to stay in more often and go to bed earlier also means less temptation to make bad food decisions like 2am pizza or Taco Bell. Lol. Me and my friends do like to go out for dinner a lot though too, so I try to suggest places where I can find something decently healthy, like Panera, Chipotle, or Subway.

Anyway, that's what works for me. I'm sure my friends think I'm lame sometimes but I'm sorta over the college party scene and that's fine with me :)

Peachy that is marvelous! I couldn't tell you how many crazy nights ended up at score bell or McDonald's at two in the morning. It's tough trying to make yourself committed to the healthy lifestyle by sacrificing "going out" time and not having a life. I like your tip about suggesting healthier places to go out to eat. I hate when I'm united to go out to eat and it's somewhere that is just awful for you and I feel like I'm forced into eating that way against my will. I took some early classes this semester just to force myself to become a morning person- which will hopefully get me more motivated to do stuff everyorning. My problem is I work until 11 most nights and it's hard to still get up early each morning. This week I shall see how everything goes!