Need 160g protein a day.. how?

Options
2»

Replies

• Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese, fish and protein shakes! I've started eating cottage cheese in between my meals as a snack and it really helps up my protein on days I need to.
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    chicken, turkey , and tuna. you'll get there easy
  • dougt333
    dougt333 Posts: 697
    Options
    you are heavy lifting right?
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Also, if you figure out how to eat that much protein while keeping your triglycerides and cholesterol in normal range..REMEMBER, you have to Strategically eat proteins because the Body can only absorb about 26 g within a 3-4 hour period. That is why you see Bodybuilders eating small meals and/or drinking protein shakes 6-8 times per day; what good is it to eat 30/40g of protein at a sitting when all over 26g will be dumped and if you eat a protein snack to soon it will be wasted also. Yeah, it takes planning.
  • McGrew822
    Options
    First, I wouldn't recommend cutting protein. You should always take in a minimum of one gram of protein per pound of bodyweight, and instead cut fats and carbohydrates - protein is very hard for your body to store as fat.

To answer your question, I would recommend having a protein shake first thing in the morning. That will help ensure that your body's catabolism burns fat and not muscle. You should also have a shake after working out. For the rest of your protein, try adding chicken breasts, eggs (with the yolk, because the LDL cholesterol in eggs yolks is the "good" cholesterol, and over 40% of an egg's protein is in the yolk), lean cuts of beef, and skim milk (though you don't want to overdo milk - that's a good way to take in too many carbohydrates). I don't generally advocate protein bars due to their often-high fat content and processed nature.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    That's too much protein. You need no more than 100 grams. Otherwise you are poisoning and overworking yu pancreas, kidneys and liver with too much protein. Anything excess get excreted.
    I'm on a 3000 calorie diet and i dont eat anywhere near 160 grams

That's fine if that's what you want, but please don't spread misinformation. Furthermore, if excess protein were excreted it would be great! The truth is, eating excess protein, carbs or fat will result in fat being stored, not excreted. The body doesn't like to give up vital nutrition, it either uses it or stores it for the most part.

Hell, 160g isn't even that high. I eat 2000-2500 calories and I eat 225-250g of protein a day. In fact, it looks like you're trying to put on weight, lots of protein could be very helpful to you.
  • McGrew822
    Options
    Protein toxicity is almost impossible to reach if you don't already have kidney problems - it's safe to take in upwards of 300 grams as long as your creatinine levels (indicate of kidney function) are within a healthy range.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    you have to Strategically eat proteins because the Body can only absorb about 26 g within a 3-4 hour period. That is why you see Bodybuilders eating small meals and/or drinking protein shakes 6-8 times per day; what good is it to eat 30/40g of protein at a sitting when all over 26g will be dumped and if you eat a protein snack to soon it will be wasted also. Yeah, it takes planning.

No, that is a well-known myth. The body can absorb a lot more than 26g of protein. Where did you even come up with this arbitrary number 26? So if you eat 27 where does that extra 1g go? Don't be silly. Some people prefer to eat all of their calories in 1-2 meals which means eating well over 100g per sitting (if not more). My dinner is regularly over 100g with no issues either.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    You probably already know this, but you can add the 100% egg whites by egg beaters to your smoothies to increase protein. Its already been pasteurized so its afe to consume raw. Can't taste it at all. Low cal, no added carbs or cholesterol. And of course beans is a great high protein food;but have to really watch ur serving size due to calories.
  • McGrew822
    Options
    DopeItUp is right - that's a complete myth. I've seen people argue that 30 grams every two hours is the maximum, or any other permutation. I think people on the Warrior Diet (one meal per day) or doing Intermittent Fasting would beg to differ.
  • juganaut
    juganaut Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese, high protein yoghurt, mince meat (chicken, turkey, kangaroo), bocconcini, protein powder, easy
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    My TDEE is 2600 calories
    Going by 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein I should be have 200g protein per day
    Minus a 20% deficit for weight loss, that brings it to 160g per day

I'm getting 80-88g per day from chicken and eggs.. any suggestions of where to get the other 80g from?

More chicken and eggs.

Supplements, Fish, Pork, Lean Steaks, Greek Yogurt, and such.
  • blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I did 128g of protein today and I ate: chicken, tuna, cottage cheese, milk, whole eggs and egg whites. No supplements were used.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Whey protein shakes for sure.

Or egg white protein powder if you're allergic to whey like I am lol. And Greek yogurt has over double the amount of protein than regular yogurt. Eggs, egg whites, lean chicken, fish, etc etc...I struggle trying to get 200g per day, although I'm doing ok with the 140g I tend to get each day. It's hard when you're allergic to dairy...I'm lucky I'm doing ok w the Greek yogurt but that's b/c the whey is strained out and that's where my allergy is with dairy...Good luck!
  • AmbitionStrong
    AmbitionStrong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I throw Fage greek yogurt on everything! (bowls of beef and avocado, tacos, fruit)

i use unflavored protein powder in pancakes, omelets (makes them fluffier).

i use chocolate protein powder & egg to make quick single serve brownies,
    as well as blended in coffee with milk and ice for a mocha coffee drink!
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    You don't think that much protein unless you're going on an extreme bulking kick.

Eat .8-1g protein per pound of body weight. If you're significantly overweight, eat that number applied to your Target weight instead of your current weight.