Shall I bulk or recomp?

Options
Hello. I have lost 100lbs in approx a year. This has left me with sagging skin and some fat. I am now 132lbs and 23% fat. I think my skin sagging is approx 10lbs so technically I am really around 122lbs because I can't get rid of the stretched skin.

Anyhoo, I am doing leangains now and can't decide whether to slow bulk or recomp. I want to build muscle but not put too much fat back on. I have been doing NROLFW for about 4 months now and am on the 4th stage.

So do I eat a slight surplus over the week to gain the muscle or eat at maintenance and recomp?

Thanks.

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    You'll get best results eating at a surplus. This will probably result in gaining some fat along with the muscle, but you can cut fat again later on. As long as you don't go too overboard on the food intake, though, the fat gain will be pretty minor.
  • Tigermad
    Tigermad Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    You'll get best results eating at a surplus. This will probably result in gaining some fat along with the muscle, but you can cut fat again later on. As long as you don't go too overboard on the food intake, though, the fat gain will be pretty minor.

Thanks. Maintenance is 2000k so I will eat 2600 on 3 lifting days and 1800 on 4 rest days. As per leangains -10/+30 slow bulk.

So averages out to approx 2150 per day. That seems ok to start off :-)
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

Thanks. Maintenance is 2000k so I will eat 2600 on 3 lifting days and 1800 on 4 rest days. As per leangains -10/+30 slow bulk.

I haven't been in that situation myself yet, so I can't really draw on experience, but keep in mind that a lot of your muscle gains take place on your rest days. It seems like you might be sabotaging yourself a bit by eating at a deficit in between your lifting days, as opposed to just eating 150 ish calories above your TDEE each day (TDEE will be higher on your workout days, of course).
  • Tigermad
    Options

I haven't been in that situation myself yet, so I can't really draw on experience, but keep in mind that a lot of your muscle gains take place on your rest days. It seems like you might be sabotaging yourself a bit by eating at a deficit in between your lifting days, as opposed to just eating 150 ish calories above your TDEE each day (TDEE will be higher on your workout days, of course).

Hello. With leangains you eat at a deficit on the rest day. That's how it works. You cut one day and bulk the next. It is supposed to burn more fat that way.
  • jjefferies7
    Options
    your not gonna be able to cut one day and bulk the next. the only way you might be able to gain muscle that way is if weight training is a new stimulus. otherwise choose one.
  • Tigermad
    Options
    your not gonna be able to cut one day and bulk the next. the only way you might be able to gain muscle that way is if weight training is a new stimulus. otherwise choose one.

It's not actually a cut. It's only a small deficit on the rest day.
  • Tigermad
    Options
    I have chosen one. I am bulking. At the end of the week I am in a calorie excess not a deficit.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have chosen one. I am bulking. At the end of the week I am in a calorie excess not a deficit.

Its probably a good idea as it will help "fill in the skin". Good luck.
  • Tigermad
    Options

Its probably a good idea as it will help "fill in the skin". Good luck.

Thanks. I am coming off leangains tomorrow and doing a straight bulk. Lot less hassle.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I like Leangains if you are trying to gain a little muscle and lose that last bit of fat but it is a very slow process. I think what you are about to do is a easier and a little quicker way to go about it. Yeah, you'll gain a little fat in the process but not much if you don't go crazy with the surplus and you'll gain some nice muscle to fill in that sagging skin.