Breakfast Ideas?

Options
Can anyone give me some examples of Healthy Breakfasts.

Thanks,
Katie

Replies

• Maximumresults
    Options
    egg whites, oatmeal, and a piece of fruit
  • Jess_Me_xoxo
    Options
    -1 medium sweet potato with 2Tbsp peanut butter & 2tsp of lite syrup (poke potato 3 times, microwave 3-5 mins, cut in half, drizzle syrup/peanutbutter on top).

-Quinoa pancakes: 1/2C cooked quinoa, 2 egg whites 1/4C milk, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1/4 tsp vanilla, 1/4 sliced banana (mix ingredients to make batter). Makes 3 medium pancakes (flip once/3 mins on each side). Top with 2Tbsp Greek yogurt, 1/4 sliced banana, 2Tbsp chopped walnuts, 1tsp syrup.

Both are sooo yum (1st one is if you are in a hurry). I found these recipes in a fitness magazine (forgot which one).
  • southernGIRLgetsFIT
    southernGIRLgetsFIT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    2 egg whites, 2 slices turkey bacon and fruit

oatmeal with cinnamon, half a banana and almonds

greek yogurt mixed with fruit and low-in-sugar granola

egg white omelet with tons of veggies mixed in
  • Morgan803
    Morgan803 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats with Unsweetened Cocoa Powder, toasted Unsweetened Coconut and Almonds.
    Tortilla with Hard Boiled Egg, Canadian Bacon and Fat Free Cheese Slice, with Grapefruit.
    Whole Grain Rice Cakes with Almond Butter and Banana Slices, sprinkle with Flax Seed, Medium Tomato.
    2 Cups Spinach with Red Onion slices and a Poached Egg, Whole Grain English Muffin with Sugar Free Jelly.
    Half Cantaloupe with Plain Non Fat Greek Yogurt, 2 TBSP Sugar Free Syrup, and All Bran Buds.
    Whole Wheat English Muffin with Egg White and Veggie Sausage with Fat Free Cheese Slice and Nectarine.
    Whole Grain Rice Cakes with Fat Free or Low Carb Yogurt, and Fresh Fruit, with Almonds and Carrots. (Like dessert fruit pizza:)

Some of my favorites.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Eggs! (but don't throw away the yolk, that's the part with the most nutrition, not to mention the tastiest part. I really don't understand this egg white omelette business, I think it must be a US fad that I can't relate to.)
    I often have a cheese and tomato omelette - now I've had a bit of practice I can whip one up in 5 mins or less.
    Or poached eggs (or fried in a little bit of butter or oil or in a non stick pan with oil spray) with grainy toast, tomato, spinach, mushrooms.

Oats - porridge is a great brekky when it's cold outside. I like mine with peanut butter mixed in and some chopped apple or banana - no extra sugar.

Toast (nice grainy wholemeal bread) with cottage cheese and sliced tomato. Or with ricotta and sliced strawberries.
    Or toast with avocado and a poached egg on top.
    Or wholegrain fruit toast (or english muffin) with peanut butter and banana. This is my standard long run (and race day) breakfast.

Fruit - my husband often has fruit salad with a dollop of yoghurt and some muesli sprinkled on top.

Really though, you can eat anything you like for breakfast - leftover dinner, soup, salad, sandwich, wraps.
    The whole business of special food for breakfast is really just a marketing ploy to get us to buy more processed food.
  • jessimurph
    jessimurph Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of quinoa porridge for breakfast! I found a bunch of recipes online, but now I just make a big batch of quinoa once or twice a week and heat up a cup in the morning with some milk and stevia.
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    Eggs! (but don't throw away the yolk, that's the part with the most nutrition, not to mention the tastiest part. I really don't understand this egg white omelette business, I think it must be a US fad that I can't relate to.)
    I often have a cheese and tomato omelette - now I've had a bit of practice I can whip one up in 5 mins or less.
    Or poached eggs (or fried in a little bit of butter or oil or in a non stick pan with oil spray) with grainy toast, tomato, spinach, mushrooms.

Oats - porridge is a great brekky when it's cold outside. I like mine with peanut butter mixed in and some chopped apple or banana - no extra sugar.

Toast (nice grainy wholemeal bread) with cottage cheese and sliced tomato. Or with ricotta and sliced strawberries.
    Or toast with avocado and a poached egg on top.
    Or wholegrain fruit toast (or english muffin) with peanut butter and banana. This is my standard long run (and race day) breakfast.

Fruit - my husband often has fruit salad with a dollop of yoghurt and some muesli sprinkled on top.

Really though, you can eat anything you like for breakfast - leftover dinner, soup, salad, sandwich, wraps.
    The whole business of special food for breakfast is really just a marketing ploy to get us to buy more processed food.

I know right! The white is the part I can't stand and having just that... blerrrrrrg such a waste of time too! I think it came about the time when eggs were this terrible fatty food full of evil cholesterol and hasn't gone away. I guess if you like it and need to spare the cals for something else that's fine but I'd rather get everything for it and not waste my time throwing out half of what I've paid for. I get REALLY excited for poached eggs. Like jump up and down excited. I learned how to make them properly this year and eat them probably once a week.
    These are all my fav breakfast foods too! Except for the peanut butter thing. I like it but not that much.
  • Kmshelton5
    Options
    I make egg muffins. They are really easy and they can last the whole week, especially if you are in a hurry in the morning.

Use 12 eggs for metal muffin tins or individual silicone cups. You can use less egg yolks and more egg white if you prefer.)
    1-2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (optional, if you have food allergies or don't have Spike, use any type of seasoning blend that's good with eggs.)
    You can add low fat cheese if you want. (I leave it out to lower the caloric intake and fat.)

Optional, but highly recommended, 3 green onions diced small.

Optional: chopped veggies such as blanched broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. (Using veggies will reduce the fat content)

Optional: diced turkey bacon, lean ham, or crumbled cooked turkey sausage (i use 6 slices of turkey bacon cooked and chopped)

Preheat oven to 375 F. Use regular or silicone muffin pan, 12 muffin size.Spray with nonstick spray.

In the bottom of the muffin cups layer diced meat, if using, vegetables, if using, cheese and green onions. You want the muffin cups to be about 2/3 full, with just enough room to pour a little egg around the other ingredients. Break eggs into large measuring bowl with pour spout, add Spike, and beat well. Pour egg into each muffin cup until it is 3/4 full. I like to stir slightly with a fork. Bake 25-35 minutes until muffins have risen and are slightly browned and set.

Muffins will keep more than a week in the refrigerator. Microwave on high about 45sec-1 minute to reheat. Don't overheat because they tend to get a little chewy.
  • Kmshelton5
    Options
    *** It ends up being about 88 calories, 12g fat, 1 carb, 13g protein per muffin ***
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    I do protein shakes and some fruit. It equals about 150 to 200 calories.
  • harte19
    harte19 Posts: 3
    Options
    Cottage cheese with fruit or black pepper. Cottage cheese rocks with runny egg yolks YUM!

Smoothies- I like mine minimalist because you lose fiber and gain sugar with lots of fruit

I like mine with ice, one banana, unsweetened cocoa powder, one tablespoon of peanut butter, skim milk to thin it out, and instant coffee or coffee grounds. It's like a starbucks drink or milk shake without the added sugar. And, you can have it for breakfast or desert.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    @Kmshelton5, I love eggs and can't wait to try this :)
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just started doing honey greek yogurt, raspberries and grape nuts it's yuuummy, filling, and only like 200 calories
  • apocalypsepwnie
    Options
    I make egg muffins. They are really easy and they can last the whole week, especially if you are in a hurry in the morning.

Use 12 eggs for metal muffin tins or individual silicone cups. You can use less egg yolks and more egg white if you prefer.)
    1-2 tsp. Spike Seasoning (optional, if you have food allergies or don't have Spike, use any type of seasoning blend that's good with eggs.)
    You can add low fat cheese if you want. (I leave it out to lower the caloric intake and fat.)

Optional, but highly recommended, 3 green onions diced small.

Optional: chopped veggies such as blanched broccoli, red pepper, zucchini, mushrooms, etc. (Using veggies will reduce the fat content)

Optional: diced turkey bacon, lean ham, or crumbled cooked turkey sausage (i use 6 slices of turkey bacon cooked and chopped)

Preheat oven to 375 F. Use regular or silicone muffin pan, 12 muffin size.Spray with nonstick spray.

In the bottom of the muffin cups layer diced meat, if using, vegetables, if using, cheese and green onions. You want the muffin cups to be about 2/3 full, with just enough room to pour a little egg around the other ingredients. Break eggs into large measuring bowl with pour spout, add Spike, and beat well. Pour egg into each muffin cup until it is 3/4 full. I like to stir slightly with a fork. Bake 25-35 minutes until muffins have risen and are slightly browned and set.

Muffins will keep more than a week in the refrigerator. Microwave on high about 45sec-1 minute to reheat. Don't overheat because they tend to get a little chewy.

omg yum
  • Katiebeth2005
    Options
    Thank you everyone for such wonderful suggestions.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    bacon, eggs, toast

cereal

bagel thin w/ cream cheese if you like that sorta thing

broccoli and cheese frittata (just google it and you'll find tons of recipes)
  • ohpampered1
    ohpampered1 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm having a hard time with breakfast too, I have allergy's to EGGS and Milk, I do eat a lot of oatmeal, toast with peanut butter and a half of a banana. I drink coconut milk, and eat cereal. As you can see I eat a lot of carbs. I would love some new ideas if you have any more.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    3/4 cup All Bran with hot water and a dash of skim milk was a great breakfast for me today! (UNDER 200 CALORIES)
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Protien powder pancakes

1 mashed banana
    1 scoop protein powder(about 1/4c)
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp baking powder.
    cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, whatever

mix together and cook in a nonstick pan or one sprayed with a bit of oil
    I like to make them silver dollar size, because they brown fast and I find full-size ones burn.
    Not posting nutrition since it will vary depending on what protein powder you use.
    My protein powder has 140 cals and 25 grams protein.
    These would be good topped with peanut butter or chopped nuts. They are sweet from the banana.
  • mandorla
    mandorla Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Great topic, I needed some more breakfast ideas myself.