• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    sugar and butter in grits = bomb.com

oatmeal w/ brown sugar and butter = bomb.com

both are DELICIOUS with butter and something sweet /thread. LOL
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    umm.. OATMEAL all the way. Take some unsweetened applesauce, add to the cooked oatmeal along with a touch of brown sugar - APPLE PIE OATMEAL!!

Grits????? ICK! Tried Them. The gritty texture made me feel like I was eating sand, or a bowl of cornmeal. I couldn't handle the gritty texture. Sounds dumb I know - Grits are Gritty - who'd have thunk it? :ohwell:
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love them both, but I just can't afford the high carbs and calories in my calorie budget. Same way I that I won't eat brown rice. Been trying to substitute w/quinoa, but just haven't developed a taste for it.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    My husband is Canadian and it irks me when I make grits and he puts milk and sugar in it. I keep telling him this isn't cream of wheat. My family is from South Carolina, so grits usually has salt, butter and cheese, better yet crumble up sausage and mix your eggs in, that's how you eat grits. I never thought of grits as a healthy meal so I don't eat it that often. I don't love oatmeal, would much rather have cream of wheat. Sometimes I add a scoop of whey to it for an extra protein boost.
  • armadillolabrat
    armadillolabrat Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    While lots of butter sounds yummy in grits I've learned to eat them cooked in water with a slight pinch of salt and an over easy egg on top.
  • ssbarfarkle
    ssbarfarkle Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal w/peanut butter & cinnamon every morning. Unless I am on vacation down south then it's grits and butter baby! Oh yeah!!!
  • fishermanmatt
    fishermanmatt Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Southerner here.

Grits with butter or sausage or eggs or cheese or any combination of the above. I've tried eating oatmill a few times but never liked it. For me, oatmill is only good with raisins or chocolate in cookie form.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    My husband is Canadian and it irks me when I make grits and he puts milk and sugar in it. I keep telling him this isn't cream of wheat. My family is from South Carolina, so grits usually has salt, butter and cheese, better yet crumble up sausage and mix your eggs in, that's how you eat grits. I never thought of grits as a healthy meal so I don't eat it that often. I don't love oatmeal, would much rather have cream of wheat. Sometimes I add a scoop of whey to it for an extra protein boost.

I'm sorry, but sugar in grits is plain weird.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

I'm sorry, but sugar in grits is plain weird.

Agreed, but he keeps eating it that way. Which is really weird since I put cheese in it when I cook it, so that's sugary cheese grits YUCK
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I love my Steel Cut Oats mix or match various berries, raisins, dried cranberries, real maple syrup, cinnamon, honey.
    I also love my grits. Basic cook: water pinch salt pinch sugar butter butter and yep. Breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner. No limit to what can be added to them.
  • joshuamhort
    Options
    For me, grits beats out oatmeal. That being said, I do eat both, but I can eat neither plain. Grits have to have butter and cheese. Oatmeal has to be cooked with milk, not water and then it has to have other flavors. Lately I have been adding a couple tablespoons of peanut butter. Maybe toss in a small amount of maple syrup with it too.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Old fashion style whole oats.
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    oatmeal.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Grits with a poached egg and some hot sauce. YUM. We pile up collards at the bottom too if we have some cooked in the fridge.