fat free vs sugar free?

Options
2»

Replies

• SpazzyMal
    SpazzyMal Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't go for "____ free" foods at all, as a general rule. I try to focus more on eating less processed food in general. Besides, they both tend to taste shoddy compared to the "regular" version of the products, and if I'm buying something that I have to start worrying about the sugar or fat content, then it's supposed to be a treat that's rarely eaten anyway — and who wants to go for the cruddy version of something that's supposed to be a treat, that they're not going to enjoy to its fullest? Better to just eat less of it but get it in the full-fat or sugary version instead.
  • manda1978
    manda1978 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If I had to choose one I'd go sugar free.

I try to eat very little processed food so its a non issue for me really. My day if full of fresh vegies, some fruit and lean protein.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I don't go for "____ free" foods at all, as a general rule. I try to focus more on eating less processed food in general. Besides, they both tend to taste shoddy compared to the "regular" version of the products, and if I'm buying something that I have to start worrying about the sugar or fat content, then it's supposed to be a treat that's rarely eaten anyway — and who wants to go for the cruddy version of something that's supposed to be a treat, that they're not going to enjoy to its fullest? Better to just eat less of it but get it in the full-fat or sugary version instead.
    Exactly. I was ranting to my bf the other day about how manufacturers trick innocent people into thonking somethings healthy when its not. My favorite story was the company that put out the fat free salsa and started making allot of money on it because of that wonderful free word.

...the majority of salsa is fat free...you can now find salsa with labels saying things like "fat free like all the rest"
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    its true, most "nonfat" foods add sugar (milk is a perfect example, compare heavy cream to nonfat and HC is actually better for you sugar-wise). its really up to you to determine what fits your goals better. for me I try to get a good balance of nonfat stuff if its loaded with protein or fiber, i'm willing to overlook the sugar content unless its abnormally high. on a good day i like to get most of my meals to at least break even when it comes to the carb vs protein ratio. i'm a label reader so i like to see whats going in my food, if its fat free and still meets all my calorie/fiber/protein criteria but loaded with a bunch of 20-syllable words i'm probably not going to buy it lol
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I was ranting to my bf the other day about how manufacturers trick innocent people into thonking somethings healthy when its not. My favorite story was the company that put out the fat free salsa and started making allot of money on it because of that wonderful free word.

...the majority of salsa is fat free...you can now find salsa with labels saying things like "fat free like all the rest"

Boy, I sure hate "thonking"!

Lol, j/k. Couldn't resist.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Boy, I sure hate "thonking"!

Lol, j/k. Couldn't resist.
    who would have thonk it.
    Image.jpg