what does your baby drink?

Options
124»

Replies

• ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    At 9 months old, my older daughter was drinking formula (never watered down), and prune juice mixed 50/50 with water for constipation. She had a milk intolerance so at 12 months we switched to soy milk. Around 16 months she was able to have whole cow's milk without any issues.

My younger daughter is 6 months old and she's currently on alimentum formula. She gets a cup of water when she's in the high chair to eat solids, but she mostly just chews on it and doesn't drink much. She might get some juice if she gets constipated, but otherwise she'll only get formula or water. I have some breastmilk frozen in the freezer that I'll use at some point to test her soy and milk allergies before we actually introduce the foods to her. When she's 12 months I'll discuss with her doctor but I imagine I'll switch her to coconut milk because it has a higher fat content that other cow's milk substitutes.

OMGosh, Alimentum is nasty smelling, nasty tasting stuff!! It literally smells and tastes like vomit!! LOL We used to call it "vomit in a can"!!!! I am always amazed when I hear that kids drink it orally.

My son was tube fed Alimentum at a 30 cal per ounce rate due to medical issues.

If you can get the insurance company to cover it, Peptamen Jr. is a good toddler.older child formula to go to after having to be on Alimentum.
    LOL I know, it's awful! She's intolerant to milk and soy and her poor tummy was so upset on breastmilk (even though I was dairy-free, plus my supply was dwindling) that we decided to make the switch. At first she was absolutely not interested, but she's so much happier now than she was.

Thanks for the tip about Peptamen Jr. I haven't heard of that but I will look into it!
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Formula and water. Formula or breast milk to promote brain development and water to hydrate.

Yes. Get the baby used to drinking water rather than looking for something sweet. My pediatrician recommended that if I offered juice, cut it down by half with water (for less sugar). When my kids were old enough to realize that other people were drinking soda, I gave them seltzer with a spash of juice (e.g. "orange soda", "grape soda" etc.). I would not offer a baby or toddler artifically sweetened drinks. I have no research to back this up--but I see no need to give artificial sweeteners to a young child.

I still drink seltzer with a spash of fruit juice, as does my lovely 27 year old daughter.

Side note. Do not let your baby/toddler take a bottle to bed with anything but water in it. Dentists say that many cavities in baby teeth are due to sipping on milk/juice while falling asleep. The last bit of liquid (not rinsed out) provides a night long "sugar bath" for the teeth.
  • shorty313
    shorty313 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    "Food before one is just for fun!"

At nine months his primary nutrition should be breast milk or formula. Food comes after his bottle, as a supplement to it. Give him a good variety of finger foods, real food cut up small, cereals, things to help him develop his fine motor skills and practice chewing.

If you want to give him something else, just plain water is fine, after meals, and not too soon before meals. You don't want him getting filled up on water and then not taking in the nutrition he needs for growing (especially right now as he's due for a big growth spurt). Some docs recommend giving whole milk at 9-12 months, but pasteurized homogenized milk is being linked more and more to ongoing problems with ear infections, sinus irritation and bowel troubles... I'd be in no hurry to introduce it.

Ditto to all this.

Good, fatty alternate milks are coconut and hemp.
  • tennesseeleigh
    Options
    My DS is 9 months too and so far has only had breastmilk, formula and water. He eats mostly tablefood and some babyfood (at the sitters). We are staying away from juices and won't introduce cowmilk until he's older. There's really nothing else he needs right now. I would talk to his pediatrician before you introduce anything else. I do have friends that have had success with goat's milk.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    "Food before one is just for fun!"

At nine months his primary nutrition should be breast milk or formula. Food comes after his bottle, as a supplement to it. Give him a good variety of finger foods, real food cut up small, cereals, things to help him develop his fine motor skills and practice chewing.

If you want to give him something else, just plain water is fine, after meals, and not too soon before meals. You don't want him getting filled up on water and then not taking in the nutrition he needs for growing (especially right now as he's due for a big growth spurt). Some docs recommend giving whole milk at 9-12 months, but pasteurized homogenized milk is being linked more and more to ongoing problems with ear infections, sinus irritation and bowel troubles... I'd be in no hurry to introduce it.

Ditto to all this.

Good, fatty alternate milks are coconut and hemp.

Still low on protein though. The only non dairy "milk" that has protein levels similar to cows milk is soy but there are concerns with too much soy for some.
    If your toddler is getting high protein from other food it's not an issue but these alternatives are not really substitutes from a nutritional standpoint.
  • kueher
    kueher Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who got nervous reading this question?

At 9 months of age, you should limit your baby to formula or breast milk and small amounts of water.

Formula should never be "watered down". This increase the chance of electrolyte imbalances and your baby could not be getting the nutrients that he or she needs.

Juices should be diluted with water, preferably half & half (ex: 1 ounce of juice, 1 ounce of water). I would only give juice for constipation issues. Babies can have up to one ounce per month of age, per day, so your child can have up to 9 ounces of juice.

Cows milk should not be introduced until after one year of age. Yes, as parents, we all think "What's the big deal?". Besides possibly allergies, babies who do not tolerate cow's milk can have GI upset and GI bleeding. GI bleeding does not necessarily mean bright, red blood in their stools, but mucousy, black, tarry stools.

As a parent, it is very exciting to introduce your child to new foods. However, all he or she really needs right now for fluids is breastmilk or formula.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    My baby prefers Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum.

He is; however, 26.

I have a picture proof of me being given alcohol at the tender age of one. -_-
  • Arianaml
    Options
    I think it's great you're juicing your own juice and staying away from cows milk! There are more and more findings that cows milk is a bad way to go....I regret giving my son regular formula when he was a baby but back then I didn't know. Have you tried doing a fruit & veggie blend with your juicer, and maybe rice milk until you could switch to almond?
    Just be aware that most rice milk is low on protein and calcium and fat compared to cows' milk. I think almond milk is also low on protein. All these nutrients are important to your baby's health and growth.

I agree, I guess my suggestion was based on thinking she's looking for occasional supplements to her formula :)