Eating Out Advice!

Options
Hey MFP community:

I'm currently living with my uncle and his family to help out with the kids. Unfortunately, they eat out every night (no joke - every night). On the weekends, we eat out for breakfast and dinner.

Any advice on how to conquer restaurants and still keep within calories / healthy food? I've tried to prepare a little bit by researching their nutrition, but sometimes it's difficult not to cave, particularly after a very hard workout! Thanks!

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to ask the waiter to change up your order. Ask them how things are cooked (are they baked, fried, etc) and what they are cooked in (what kind of oil, butter, etc). The waiter may not know but I'm sure they will be more than happy to ask the chefs for you.

Don't get side tracked by the typical "Salad". Often times all the toppings and dressing can be really calorie loaded (bacon bits, chicken, croutons, cheese, etc)

Just remember about all the extra things. And try and find out if there's ways to change your order to make it healthier. Say, if you get a burger, instead of opting for french fries, see if you can get steamed veggies or fresh fruit. Instead of having ketchup or mayo on a sandwhich, opt for mustard. Also, you can even take off one of the buns if you have a sandwhich/burger - that'll save you a lot of calories and carbs.

Also, PORTION control. Ask for a box before hand and put half of your meal in there before hand so you don't feel the need to over eat and finish what is on your plate.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    just get protein and veg.

i always get custom food. plain grilled steak or chicken, steamed veggies or a plain salad.
    no fries, potatoes, bread, pasta etc.
  • maddiec1989
    maddiec1989 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I second what laybabe said, a lot of it is just portion control. I usually take one of the small side plates and put enough food on it that it's full and only eat that. it's a great little trick because when you see that you've eaten a full plate, it seems to be more satisfying than eating half of a bigger plate. I do similar when ordering pizza... I cut all of the slices in half so that I see and eat 2 slices but really it's only 1 :) I also order salad in place of fries at restaurants and ask for a light dressing or a balsamic vinaigrette
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If they have nutritional info online, I always peruse the menu before I go and decide what to order before I walk in.

If you like fish and their are fish options... go with those as they have less calories per ounce than other meats.

Portion control as some said.

Watch out for hidden calories in sauces!
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Do you have to go with them every time? It is very hard to try to eat the right way while others around you are eating garbage. Try staying home and making your own dinner a few nights a week. I agree with the others to try and plan your meal by looking up on the website to check the nutrition values before you leave the house.
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I eat out frequently (but not every night).. I had a co worker give me the tip "know before you go." So before dining anywhere, I check out their menu and nutritional info and decide what I'm having before I go.

I also 'alter' my meals. Cheese has a lot of calories in it, so I'll ask them to nix the cheese and make sure I have unbuttered veggies. And no buttery rolls either....

I look for lean cuts, grilled or baked, not battered.. and again.. veggies.

Most restaurants have lean options now.

Also, I split my meals a lot.. half for dinner tonight, half for lunch tomorrow ;-)
  • kittens2713
    kittens2713 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys - great advice! :)