Total standstill even though I cut calories? Help!

Options
Hey guys,
I've been using MFP regularly since probably April and have lost about seven pounds, which was a little more than half of my goal. Lately however, I'm not losing ANYTHING and have even gone up a couple pounds! I reduced my calorie goal twice, from 1600 to 1400, to 1200, but still, nothing. It's driving me crazy eating like I'm on a diet but getting nowhere. I've heard of the last five pounds but this?

Has this happened to you? What's going on? What can I do?

Thank you!

Replies

• michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You look beautifully slim... you sure you want to lose more? Maybe you should focus on maintenance eating and lifting to gain a little muscle and shrink inches.
  • schart1978
    schart1978 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was on a plateau for 6-7 weeks.. Did you know they can last almost 3 months.. Are you working out?? If you are change up your routine. Remember if you cut your calories to much your body will go into starvation mode.
  • sandidolphin
    sandidolphin Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For some people, especially when close to 'ideal weight', calories in/calories out may not be the only equation that leads to weight loss. It can be about what TYPE of calories / nutrition you are eating. It can be about putting on muscle if you are doing lots of exercise. It can be lots of things.
    Have you thought about consulting a nutritionist / dietician, or even a doctor? You can show them your food diary that you have on here, as well as discuss your exercise, and see if they have any advice.
    Plateaus or standstills can sometimes last a while and then suddenly your body will start responding again, so it could just be that your body needs a little time. Also, don't just use the scale as your indication, if you use a tape measure on your waist and hips you may find that you are slimming down, even without a change on the scale. It is just one indication of your over all health and fitness.
  • DaBigChief
    DaBigChief Posts: 146
    Options
    Not sure of your workout routine but change it completely. It will surprise your body and start to loss again
  • Anyaaaa11
    Anyaaaa11 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Yes that has recently happened to me... Not once but TWICE! I'm certain that its from dropping it too much cause if you think about it.. Cutting it down 200 cals per day is an extra 1400cal deficit. So I would say you dropped it too fast. If your not losing you may A's well go back to eating 1600.

What I do is have a maintenence week then drop it back down to 1500.. See if you start losing again. Wate weight gain is expected when upping. You could do that or keep intake at 1600 and only strength train for one week and start your normal regemin up again.

ETA: have you heard of body weight set point? Check it out! May be why your weight won't budge.
  • megamclure
    megamclure Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If I've only tried losing 6 pounds, previously 136 lbs, and want only to lose 5 more, would that qualify for weight set point? I don't know what's going on. I suppose I should give it some time. Here's a little more info: about two months ago I had to give up my regular 3-4 times per week running routine, logging about 12-15 miles per week. I got a bit out of shape but started up again running on the treadmill, then I started doing weight training and general
    Calisthenics. The last few days I've been running outside again. I've also been CRAZY stressed as I had to make a huge school decision, after two crazy summer semesters, and I started a startup company and a full-push blog. I've thought that might have something to do with it. Further, I had my IUD removed about three months ago and am back on the pill. I also quit taking Prozac and take Wellbutrin instead, though that's supposed to suppress the appetite, and weight gain is associated more with Prozac...
  • jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is more of a problem with Prozac than weight gain. If you would open your diary, you'd get more help and advice. All those changes in your life probably aren't helping, and as you get closer to your goal the weight will come off slower.
  • megamclure
    megamclure Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I opened the diary. Thank you!
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    You have been going the wrong way. Increase your calories to 1600 and I can all but promise you that you will start losing again. Also taking a B complex vitamin helped my standstill.
  • cjc166
    cjc166 Posts: 222
    Options
    Looking at your diary, I noticed that about 10% of your calories come from whole plant-based foods, while the other 90% come from processed foods and animal products. If you reverse this ratio, I bet you'll see fantastic results.