Any swimming success stories?

Options
I just started swimming yesterday for weight loss. I swam competitively through high school! Today I swam 1000 meters( 500 free, 250 back, 250 breast) took about 40 minutes, lots of little breaks and slow pace. Much easier then walking, just want to see success stories so I know I'm getting something productive done!!!! Very tired but felt like I accomplished very little,

Replies

• womanwithamission
    womanwithamission Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I joined a masters swim team in June, and it has changed my life! I swam competitively for 12 years, and it took me 17 years to get back to the pool. It was the best thing I could have done for myself. I swim 3 days a week 10,200 yards, 80 minutes a day. (I've also added walking 3 days a week for 70 minutes)I have four small children, so I had to do something before they wake up in the morning. I'm up at 4:30 and in the pool by 5am. In the beginning I was very tired but I quickly got into shape. As you know its a full body work out. And why do I say its changed my life? Because I feel so good. I get in the water at cw 246lbs and keep up with tri-atheles and iron man competitors. My body is slimming down and toning. I have confidence again and swimming is fun!!! Keep it up. Hopefully you can find joy in the pool like me.
  • yourgirlbribri
    yourgirlbribri Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    When I was on a swim team I lost 20 pounds in about three months and because I stopped exercise after that I gained back 10 so just keep it up to maintain weight loss.
  • missypoo1974
    Options
    Swimming is my exercise of choice. I always feel so good (even my muscles are screaming)! I have lost 19 pounds since I started MFP a month and I swim at least every other day (30-45 minutes). I'm sure I can't give all the credit to swimming....but it has worked quite a bit! I have never been in a swimming competition although I want to! I feel more natural in the water than on land. :)
  • maps1974
    maps1974 Posts: 18
    Options
    Started exercising and watching what I ate on June 22 when I hit 300 lbs which I swore I would never do so I could get rid of the weight. At the beginning of July, I added swimming into my workouts. Now swimming is the primary workout I do 5-6 nights a week. Also jog, elliptical, and do weights a couple a nights a week. Been amazed how quickly my body is getting used to being back in the pool since it's been 19 years since I swam competitively and I weighed 155 lbs back then. So far I've lost 23 lbs and am definitely looking like I'm getting back into better shape. Started out swimming about 800-1000 yards per workout and now I do between 2400-3600 depending on how the body's feeling. Still have a long way to go and quite a bit to lose but this is a good start. I like swimming also because I find it quite relaxing and peaceful even when I'm struggling to catch my breath after doing sprint work. It's coming back to me why I used to basically live in the pool(swam competitively, lifeguarded, and was a swim instructor) and I plan to keep swimming even after I hit my goals.
  • cherylhirons
    cherylhirons Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Thanks all! I am trying to stay encouraged and remind myself to stay in the wagon. I find it easier reading the stories on MFP. This weekend will be a challenge as we are going to Denver. Nothing is off limits it just needs to be a small treat! (no more large shakes just cause it sounds good, maybe a sip of my DH's)
  • Cancuning
    Cancuning Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Just like maps1974, I started on June 22. In my younger years I was part of the national swimming team. Unfortunately it took me 17 years to get back to swimming. Since I started I have lost 23 pounds and counting. I recommend to use a Vo2 calorie burning calculator to stay motivated. Regular calorie calculators don't take into consideration your Vo2 max and give you lower calorie burn count. This is not bad if you like peasant surprises when you get on the scale thinking you may have lost 1lb and find out you lost 3. I use this calculator: http://www.easycalculation.com/health/heart-rate-calorie-burn-known-vo2.php
  • lamericana
    lamericana Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I once spent a month swimming casually for about 4-8 hours a day and lost so much weight I looked anorexic in the pictures! I was on vacation and just spent the entire time in the water and didn't eat much. I always joke if I could do that again, I'd be golden! I find that swimming really allows me to work out for a long time without tiring out too fast and it doesn't make me hungry.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!