"a calorie is a calorie is a calorie" vs clean eating

Options
Alright, I keep hearing two sides to this story and it's driving me crazy. People tell me I can eat whatever I want as long as I burn it off and/or stay within my daily calorie goal,..others tell me I won't lose unless I eat clean bc its more about nutrition and macro-nutrients than calories. Since December, I've lost about 30 lbs, and I'm on my way to losing another 20, so obviously I've been doing something right. But It seems as if my weight no longer wants to budge, and I'm wondering if its because I haven't been eating as healthy (yet still staying within my daily calorie allowance). I just need some honest answers please.

Replies

• lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    It's a little bit of both. But part of losing weight is wanting to be healthy. So, for me, clean eating is priority over "non-clean eating".

But I think you should watch the fat amounts and other nutritional values in your food besides just the calories, just for your well being. Watching those things can also give you a better work out and lead to more energy. I'm sure you feel much better and energized eating a nice fruitful meal than a bag of chips.

But, on the other hand, I do think a calorie is a calorie is a calorie. And you've had success so far, so stick with what you were doing. It just sounds like you are hitting a plateau. Try HIIT training, or switching up your work out in some way. I've heard that calorie cycling, or forms of intermittent fasting can help up your metabolism as well, but I recommend seeking doctors advice as I do not know too much about it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I think both sides are too dramatic. There is much more to nutrition than calories- but you don't need to "eat clean" whatever that means, all the time either. There's a happy middle ground that you can find where you eat a well balanced and nutritious diet- and still enjoy some of the treats that you like.

My philosophy is to get protein first, eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible, some whole grains, and use the excess calories however you wish. It's a very sustainable approach- does not at all feel like a diet.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    i agree more with clean eating
    but i'm a low carb girl myself.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    While its true that a calories is a calories...it isn't as simple as that. You could eat all your calories in bacon or in twinkies and lose weight...but your health would suffer because there not so much nutrition there. Don't worry so much about eating "clean" ss about eating real and varied foods. Your body needs good fuel, especially when you're losing.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I think both sides are too dramatic. There is much more to nutrition than calories- but you don't need to "eat clean" whatever that means, all the time either. There's a happy middle ground that you can find where you eat a well balanced and nutritious diet- and still enjoy some of the treats that you like.

My philosophy is to get protein first, eat as many fruits and vegetables as possible, some whole grains, and use the excess calories however you wish. It's a very sustainable approach- does not at all feel like a diet.

I agree with this person. :smile:

I do make better choices.. like having a large salad instead of fries.. but if i WANT fries, i eat them. If you deprive yourself of everything, you are setting yourself up for failure. You need to find what works for YOU. This is forever.. not for now. If you can eat only "clean" and not a single processed food for the rest of you life, GREAT, but thats just not for me. --I also have "cheat days" once a week, and im still losing! =) 40 days and 19.5 pounds and 20.5 inches..
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I do make better choices.. like having a large salad instead of fries.. but if i WANT fries, i eat them. If you deprive yourself of everything, you are setting yourself up for failure. You need to find what works for YOU. This is forever.. not for now. If you can eat only "clean" and not a single processed food for the rest of you life, GREAT, but thats just not for me. --I also have "cheat days" once a week, and im still losing! =) 40 days and 19.5 pounds and 20.5 inches..

Agreed also.

If you are stalling on your weigh loss you may want to take a really hard look at your tracking and the estimated energy expended for the day.

After a while, people naturally start being less exact with the measuring and logging of food. Also, as you lose weight and become fitter, you expend less energy doing day to day activities and during your workouts.

ETA: how long have you been stalled at?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    STRICTLY in terms of weight loss, a calorie is a calorie. However, if you eat "clean", you may find it easier to lose weight. For example, a slice of whole wheat bread is going to keep you full for longer than a cookie with the same number of calories will. Also, "clean" foods tend to have fewer calories per unit volume, so you may be able to eat more in terms of size that way. Not to mention that you'll probably have much more energy and feel better.
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options

Agreed also.

If you are stalling on your weigh loss you may want to take a really hard look at your tracking and the estimated energy expended for the day.

After a while, people naturally start being less exact with the measuring and logging of food. Also, as you lose weight and become fitter, you expend less energy doing day to day activities and during your workouts.

^ shes hot :love: :flowerforyou::smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,642 Member
    Options

Winner.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options

Love this, and this is also my philosophy most days. Weekends are tougher for me, but hey, that's part of living the lifestyle change.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

Agreed also.

^ shes hot :love: :flowerforyou::smile:

And awesome! Oh, and I agree with the above statements as well. :smile:
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

this is what i do
  • VogtAndrea
    VogtAndrea Posts: 236
    Options

I'm a great believer in moderation. You can eat what you want but as long as you try to do it healthy and within the calories that you need to lose slowly and get the exercise that we all need in order to make it all easier and get healthier in the process, its all good.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If you eat at a calorie deficit and exercise you will lose weight , simple as
    I eat what I want I've lost 40lb since March. I'd say a calorie is a calorie and
    stuff clean eating if it doesn't help you stick with your plan.
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    You could be plateauing for a myriad of reasons. If you still have 20 lbs to lose, it is not just clean vs. dirty cals.

Are you serious about continuing your weight loss? Then clean up the calories for two weeks and see if it makes a difference.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I don't like the "clean" food philosophy. Our food is not dirty. We are lucky to have food. Our food is not immoral and bad. Why to some people have to turn overweight into immoral ? Of course, we should try to get our vitamins and minerals and avoid bad chemicals...but we don't always. Focus on calories and getting some fruit and fresh vegetables each day. Our food is good-a blessing even if it is McDonald's. :indifferent:
  • samhigh
    samhigh Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I wouldn't recommend a person "eat as much fruit" as they want while trying to lose weight. Green veggies you can go nuts, devouring a fruit plate will spike insulin and cause fat storage. Additionally fructose can contribute to fat storage through physiological processes.

Limit fruit if you are trying to lose weight, and ideally consume immediately after exercise.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    While its true that a calories is a calories...<snip>

No.
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options

Bingo.
    Essentially exactly what I do. Lots of lean meats and veggies to hit the protein and nutritional goals; the rest to whatever.
  • vancemcdaniel
    Options
    I think it's best to understand what clean eating is. In all my years as a competitive bodybuilder and trainer eating clean meant eating foods that prompted the body to be most efficient at burning fat and expending energy without burning muscle.

As we dropped weight we wanted to drop as much body fat as possible without losing muscle. Eating "clean" is the best way to attain a lean hard balanced physiques that is ready for action.

So what does that mean?
    For starters let's look at carbohydrates. Clean carbs are things like oatmeal (slow cook), whole grains, yams so on a so forth. Carbohydrates with a LOW GLYCEMIC index. These carbs when consumed are released slowly and the body uses them for energy without an insulin spike. When we eat simple sugars or things that have a high glycemic index we spike our insulin which then crashes doing two things.

1. Triggers a fat storing response.
    2. Triggers a hunger response. ( think of eating Chinese food and feeling stuffed, but then you are hungry 30 mins later.)

Again, when we eat clean we avoid this pit fall and tend to have more energy and appetite control. We also maintain our fat burning and muscle building "zone"

So while a calorie is a calorie, eating clean is more akin to putting good software into your computer. The better the operating system you upload the better your computer runs.

I am being very general in this response, I am happy to be more specific if anybody wants a more detailed answer.