Am I fat??

Options
My parents think that I am extremely overweight. I am 5''11 ft 215lbs male. I know my bmi is high(30.0) but my stomach doesn't hang over or anything. I do have some fat In mu midsection but not too much that i can identify elsewhere.I'm pretty fit. Work out three times a week and play baseball. Are they right or what is going on?? Please help'!!!! Btw I'm 16 and wear size 34x32 pants

I just did a body fat % test on the Internet and it came out being 13.51 idk if it's accurate but it mite help

Replies

• slimsdown
    slimsdown Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    you are quite tall so im sure u carry it well and look slim, look at http://www.healthyweight4kirklees.nhs.uk/adults/healthy-weight-calculator/
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    Yes, you're extremely overweight if at that height you're 215lbs.
    But if you're happy, then no amount of criticism is going to motivate you to drop to a healthy weight.
    You sound happy with yourself, and if you're confident then I say all power to you. Though you might look back in years to coem and wish you'd at least focussed on getting healthy.x

edited to add: Oh goodness, sorry I thought it said 5ft 1 !!!! oops! Sorry!

Ignore me! If you're happy and healthy then YAY and be happy in and of yourself! Ignore the unhelpful comments!
  • Jheer32
    Jheer32 Posts: 7
    Options
    But idk where the weight is from, I'm not chunky or anything. I really don't look 215 if I ever figure out how to post a pic I could show u

Ohh haha ok thanks
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If your BMI is a little high it probably wouldn't hurt to lose a little weight. If you are that active then it may be muscle that is making you weigh up so high. Best thing to do is consult your doctor.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    If your BMI is a little high it probably wouldn't hurt to lose a little weight. If you are that active then it may be muscle that is making you weigh up so high. Best thing to do is consult your doctor.

Sorry I thought it said 5'1 also.
  • Xamybrynx
    Options
    If you work out and play baseball it could be that you have a gd amount of muscle,I wouldn't say you are extremely over weight but if you are concerned why not speak to your gp they could do your body fat % and that's more accurate than our opinions xcx
  • suej20
    suej20 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Perhaps get your body fat % measured and also is your waist size in line or smaller than the recommendations for a women? Doctors don't always go by BMI alone.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Get your body fat checked. If you do sports, it could be muscle, not fat. Based on your bmi alone, you're overweight, but it could be muscle.
  • Ralphrabbit
    Ralphrabbit Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    It's not just fat you can see that is a problem as it sits around your organs. If you are happy with how you look that is great but if you want to feel healthier you are in the right place to tweak your diet to healthy & add some gentle exercise. While you are so young it is good to get into good habits & I wish I had when I was your age!!
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    you are quite tall so im sure u carry it well and look slim, look at http://www.healthyweight4kirklees.nhs.uk/adults/healthy-weight-calculator/

I just went to this site. There was a form to fill out. I did as much as I could. Then, the rest of the form was would not take my info. Something must be wrong with the site.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    picture?
  • EmmaM2211
    EmmaM2211 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Yea I wouldnt go by BMI at all. Get your body fat % measured its much more accurate.

Any athlete with a decent amount of muscle (weight lifters, rugby players and even some footballers) are classed as overweight according to BMI!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I'm about your height and weigh 205 lbs. I'm overweight. I'm also about as active as you. But I'm 29 years older. At your age I weighed 175lbs, so unless you are very active - you should consider how you are going to evolve over the next 10 years and how you want to feel and look. I think that is the message your parents are trying to make. Take a picture of yourself and look at it objectively.

If you need a second opinion talk more to your doctor or school nurse.

Don't get skinny, get fit.

BTW - we wear the same size pants.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    talk to your doc about a healthy weight for you thats the best thing you can do cause frankly at 5'1 mine wants me at around 150 (my muscle structure is for someone about 4-6 inches taller than me)
  • styxx
    styxx Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Wow Men need to have a smaller waist than you women now ? .... This equality thing is gong WAY too far!! :)
    Perhaps get your body fat % measured and also is your waist size in line or smaller than the recommendations for a women? Doctors don't always go by BMI alone.
  • Jheer32
    Jheer32 Posts: 7
    Options
    Im on an iPad and it won't let me. I'll post one when I get on my comp
  • actresskat
    actresskat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just used an internet calculator to figure out your BMI. This is what the Doctor's would use to determine if you are clinically overweight. It came out at 30 which means you've just tipped into the obese category by a few pounds. Most Doctor's don't care too much if you BMI is in the 'overweight' band from 25-29 if you're working out and have no medical conditions but they start getting concerned when you tip into the 30s.

Don't worry though, 12 weeks ago I was obese (34 BMI) and I've dropped down to 29 BMI in 12 weeks so I'm now in the overweight banding and working my way down to being under 25 BMI to be healthy. I've lost 28 pounds in 12 weeks.

I didn't feel overweight at all. Compared to most people I looked either the same as them or smaller even so I didn't think about my weight but when the Doctor gave me a slap on the wrist and told me to loose weight I thought I better do it for my health even though I didn't feel big or overweight, if that makes sense.

Seriously though you could lose enough to go down a BMI band in a few weeks, I'd expect, maybe a month. To be in the healthy category, for you, it says 178 lbs or less which would take a few months. I hope that helps.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Well, yes your bmi is 30.0, but the b,I scale doesn't measure muscle mass. A lot of body builders would fall into the obese category on the bmi scale alone! Ask your parents to take you to a gym or doctor and have your body fat measured. If your body fat % is healthy, ignore your parent's comments about your weight.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Also mate

You are BMI of 30 at 18. Whats that going to be at 28? Or 38?

I was like you(35years old, BMI just over 30, but quiet broad). Always said I was just well built, but I wasn;t I was fat.