It's that time of year again...school lunches!

Options
MB_Positif
MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
Hey all! As my son grows older and slightly pickier I need help with what to send to school for lunch! Through and through I know my kid prefers hot food to cold, but thermos lunches didn't work out so well last year. I did get a higher quality thermos this year so we'll give it a whirl and see how long it keeps food hot before school starts in two weeks. All of that said, on top of him being pickier than ever, he is allergic to milk and eggs so that complicates things a little bit. As far as I know his school has not yet banned peanut butter, but I am sure it is going to happen sooner or later. This will be devastating for us! Right now the only other thing he'll eat cold is rolled up deli turkey! Going to experiment with some things this week (I am TOTALLY taking him to the grocery store and begging the deli clerk to let us try some other meats), but I could surely use some other ideas! Most dipping sauces and condiments are out.

He likes steak and grilled chicken and steamed broccoli! Not some of the easiest things to send to school warm...wouldn't that end up weird and rubbery in a thermos? HELP!!!!

Replies

• MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    bump! come on people I need help! my kid eats great for dinner and breakfast, but cold lunches are like his arch nemesis!
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    how abut chicken salad?
    apple cut up with cottage cheese? or if he doesnt like that apple cut up with yogurt.
    typical sandwhiches:turkey, chicken, roast beef, PB&J
    meatloaf(I volunteer at my dd school and see kids eat meatloaf sandwhiches cold with ketchup)
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hmmm the hot food thing is definitely an issue!

I don't have kids but I know when I was little and I wanted a hot lunch I often (errr... .my dad did) put soup in a thermos. If it's boiling hot in the morning it's a pretty decent temperature by lunch time.

Sandwiches are out?

How about....
    Spaghetti w/ sauce/meatballs/etc
    Some kind of casserole he likes... Shepard's Pie?

Those things should stay hot pretty well without getting weird...
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    If your son really loves peanut butter but can't bring it to school, try sunflower butter. It tastes very similar and has a similar consistency. My daughter really couldn't tell the difference very much and enjoyed it as an alternative.

You can also send him with a "lunchable" type meal that you make at home - crackers, turkey, cheese, cut up fruits and veggies - he can assemble his own little cracker sandwiches and it's much better than the ones that you buy in the store. My kids really like finger foods.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Meats are great cold honestly. Cut up the steak and chicken in strips and pop them in a tortilla or pita with some veggies and dressings or on a salad. I eat cold meatloaf also. Tuna is nice - salad, sandwiches, on crackers, pitas..hummus also.

I like sandwiches too but I will normally pack meat & veggies separate so things don't get soggy and assemble at work - possibly an option if he is having that problem.

Rice is fine cold, make a nice rice salad with veggies and some meat, little curry powder (if you like) and some raisins..very yummy. Also can do bean salad the same way (sans raisins) pasta salad, same way, add what you like.

Lots of things can be eaten cold or at room temperature.
  • peachyxoxoxo
    peachyxoxoxo Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8khjtYRms1rz6lw8o1_r1_500.jpg
  • jubeemine
    Options
    My girls are ridiculously picky also. They've already packed their lunches and stuck them in the fridge for tomorrow (1st day). Here's what's in their lunches. 9 yo has a mini pizza we made using dough, toppings and a brownie pan. Apples and pb, cheese and summer sausage. My 7 yo has broccoli and ranch, mini pizza, grapes and a cheese stick.
  • ragslittle
    ragslittle Posts: 176 Member
    Options
  • rmandree
    Options
    Thanks for posting this link. This would even be great for adults too.