Ideas for breakfast without wheat/gluten

Options
Breakfast seems to be my downfall ... it needs to be on the go and simple but wheat/gluten free ... getting tired of cereal and obviously can't have bread/crumpets/bagels etc ... just wondering what other people have when they are flying out of the door on their way to work ... :)

Replies

• lesliev523
    lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs are quick and easy.... just always keep some on hand.

I also will do peanut butter on Almond crackers.

Rice chex cereal

Ham and cheese rollups.... just roll a slice of cheese in a couple pieces of ham.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    2 eggs scrambled up with chs pop in microwave for 2 min wrap with lettuce leaves a teaspoon of milk in the mixture adds some nice fluffyness
  • ultraplop
    Options
    Greek Yogurt is good when you need something quick.
  • Sweet_Pandora
    Sweet_Pandora Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I make smoothies with protein powder to drink on the go.

This morning I made chicken bacon and scrambled eggs and ate it when I arrived at work.

Karen
  • stina0t2
    stina0t2 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I'm no eggs, no dairy, no gluten....

For breakfast I try to have a protein shake (Vega Sport) or some Holy Crap (www.holycrap.ca) with Coconut Milk.
    Shakes usually win out for convenience sake.
  • MeadowSong
    MeadowSong Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Oooh, my new fav is 24 of the Diamond Dark Chocolate Almonds (160 cals) and a banana (depends on size, let's say 100 cals)--or only 12 of the Almonds and a small banana if you're needing fewer calories. Excellent snack also.
  • Sugoiharris
    Sugoiharris Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    yogurt or cottage cheese with some udi's gluten free granola and whatever fruit I have on hand
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    2 quorn sausages, 4 cherry tomatoes, 4 mushroom, mad days add an egg, have this most mornings diary open so can see cals, carbs etc...

or 100g fat free fage yogurt
    50g rasberry
    75g strawberry
    50g bluberries
    1/2 scoop iso chocolate protein powder
    mad day 8g walnuts.
  • heethar
    heethar Posts: 21
    Options
    I throw eggs in a cupcake pan and cook at 350 for 20 minutes while I get ready for my day. Also, I have gluten-free brazilian cheese bread (hard to find but worth it when you do) that I make the day before (takes about 45 min to bake) so that I can get my "bready" fix. Also, I'm a huge fan of gluten-free oatmeal cups. I made 24 of them last night and froze them. (I'm happy to give you the recipe if you want.)
  • 00alxandra00
    Options
    Well this morning I had quinoa with grated apple and cinnamon- yummy and very filling. High in protein too. If you cook the quinoa the night before it only needs a minute or two on the hob to heat up or microwave it.

I also eat gluten free porridge- hot or soaked overnight cold with lots of yummy berries/apple/cinnamon/nuts.

You can also make a big bowl of fruit salad in advance and grab some in the morning.

Breakfast is becoming my favourite meal of the day!
  • heethar
    heethar Posts: 21
    Options
    2 quorn sausages, 4 cherry tomatoes, 4 mushroom, mad days add an egg, have this most mornings diary open so can see cals, carbs etc...

or 100g fat free fage yogurt
    50g rasberry
    75g strawberry
    50g bluberries
    1/2 scoop iso chocolate protein powder
    mad day 8g walnuts.

If you're gluten free be careful with the faux meats - I haven't found a good one yet that was gluten free. They usually have wheat fillers or wheat by-products as preservatives. I'm gluten-free and have a hell of a time finding a good faux meat.
  • CF4L
    CF4L Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Eggs or Eggs and some kind of meat (bacon, ham, etc.), potatoes/hash browns - not that hard really to make a good breakfast that is gluten free
  • Krissie_Triaxis
    Options
    Sainsbury's do an amazing range of free from stuffs including, porridge oats, fruit loaf, genius bread, crumpets etc. :D
  • jcpmoore
    jcpmoore Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Actually, I have found gluten-free bagels in the freezer section of the Earth Fare (whole foods type grocery) near me. But if you really want to avoid it altogether...

I've see recipes for...

meatloaf muffins
    ham and eggor cheese "muffins" -for these you place a slice of ham in a muffin tin and put the egg or cheese inside. Then bake. the ham keeps it's shape and you can take it with you.
    Shakes- make protein shakes now because I can drink them in the car on the way to work. I use a basic protein powder, whatever berries I have, and sometimes other things.
  • MessyLittlePanda
    MessyLittlePanda Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Gluten free porridge oats with fruit and chopped nuts
    Poached eggs, chorizo/bacon and salsa
    Yoghurt, ricotta cheese, raisins, a drizzle of honey and a squeeze of lemon
    I've also found a nice gluten free granola which has lots of nuts for protein, that with yoghurt and blueberries is yummy
    Gluten free toast and peanut butter - use toaster bags if you have a shared toaster at work
    Protein shake/smoothie with some fruit in
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    If you can get your hands on corn tortillas (if you can eat corn), GF bagels, or GF bread, I would recommend mixing eggs in a small bowl, microwaving them until they're cooked, and putting them on the warmed tortilla, bagel, or bread. If you can toast the bread, even better. I do one egg, two whites to keep the protein up, but the cals down.

Peanut butter on a granola bar (if you can find a GF one) is good.

Sometimes just keeping it simple works too - cheese cubes, fruit you can nibble on, and maybe some leftover cooked chicken if you don't mind it cold. We'll do chicken kebabs on skewers and eat them right from the fridge throughout the week, even for breakfast.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    -eggs
    -quinoa (prepped the night before) with strawberries and almond milk (like oatmeal)
    -smoothies. mine are: 1/2C yogurt, 1/2C almond milk, 1/2C frozen raspberries, 1/2C frozen blueberries, 1 Tbsp cocoa powder, 1/2 scoop protein powder
  • tismyhardbody
    tismyhardbody Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    . Its funny that almost all of these answers do not meet the requirements of the OP.

You have to plan. You should make up bfast meals at the beginning of the week that you can just grab and go. Its just too hard to depend on something convenient when you are eliminating wheat/gluten.
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    Yoghurt can be helpful in this situation, with some fruit or nuts as well. I often poach an egg in the microwave - 45 seconds on second-highest setting, with pierced clingfilm on the ramekin, or pre-cooked hard-boiled eggs. Add a slice or two of ham, perhaps, for a bit more. Pieces of cheese are also quick and easy. You may have to think outside the 'typical' breakfast foods. Can you do oatcakes/ricecakes/something non-wehaten of that sort? I'm afraid I don't know much about gluten intolerancies, but I'd have thought eggs/yoghurt/fruit/nuts/cold cuts/cheeses a la most Northern European countries would be the way to go.
  • FlickMclightly
    FlickMclightly Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    what are oatmeal cups ?

Loads of suggestions on here - really good !! I think i just need to get out of the mind-set of eating 'breakfast' food , and its ok to have a bit of chicken and tomatoe to start the day :)