So...cold...

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
So I'm visiting a center today...I usually work at one center 4 days a week and then go do coverage somewhere else when I work.

I'm sharing an office with another person...she has the AC on full blast and I am FREEZING TO DEATH!

What is a tactful way to get her to turn the air down. It's not really my office...she has seniority...but I can hardly feel my fingers as I type.

Replies

• MSeel1984
    Options
    Seriously...now my nose is running...and I can't find tissues. Finally she left the room so i could turn it down.
  • wattsj56
    wattsj56 Posts: 94
    Options
    can you bring a jacket?
  • renstwin
    renstwin Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I've worked with people like that before. I always have a sweater/jacket handy.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    Ask that person if they are from Alaska or something make it light...then ask do you mind if we warm it up a little...good luck
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Is she 40-50ish? If so she may be having hotflashes. When I do, I feel like I can't even breath and cold air keeps me alive. :)
  • trishgrace
    trishgrace Posts: 285
    Options
    Trust me, as I used to be very hot natured, here is my suggestion. Wear a jacket. Someone who is hot can only take off so much, but someone who is cold can always put on a jacket. I used to be extremely hot natured and would sweat buckets unless the air was on 69-72. However now that I am 55 lbs down and my blood pressure is now running low I get cold. I remember what it was like to be sweating and stinky because someone changed the thermostat to 80. Wear a jacket saves the hassle.
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    Bring a jacket! Remember, there are only so many clothes one can take off in an office environment! :laugh:

ETA: I used to be the one to freeze my officemate out. She was so great though...always brought a jacket so I wouldn't die of nasty stinky sweat! LOL
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    Bring a sweater or a wrap. I have a friend who actually wears fingerless gloves in her office.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Well next time I'm here I will wear a sweatshirt or something...but for now I've got nothing but a lab coat and it is not warm at all...paper thin...and I can hardly type at this point. My right hand is like ice. i have to keep sitting on it.
  • Magenta15
    Magenta15 Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    chilly and putting on a sweater is one thing, but so cold your toes, fingers and nose is freezing is not a productive work environment either, you can't expect someone to need a scarf and mitts too llol... I would just politely ask if she could turn it down a degree or two, or lower the fan at the very least. if she gets too warm she can always turn it back up. but there is no need for a room to be freezing. just comfortable. :)
  • CharliB1
    CharliB1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Ask that person if they are from Alaska or something make it light...then ask do you mind if we warm it up a little...good luck

Ha ha, yes, making light of the issue is a good start. If that should fail, you might have to resolve to dressing in layers.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Well next time I'm here I will wear a sweatshirt or something...but for now I've got nothing but a lab coat and it is not warm at all...paper thin...and I can hardly type at this point. My right hand is like ice. i have to keep sitting on it.

So say something to her?
    If you're not comfortable bring it up to her...

"Hey, I am freezing, can we maybe turn the AC up for a bit"

Quit making things so difficult...
  • cyndispot
    cyndispot Posts: 135
    Options
    Just ask her kindly to turn it down. Let her know the effect it's having on you without being snooty.
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Y not just tell her that it is COLD and uncomfortable?
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    chilly and putting on a sweater is one thing, but so cold your toes, fingers and nose is freezing is not a productive work environment either, you can't expect someone to need a scarf and mitts too llol... I would just politely ask if she could turn it down a degree or two, or lower the fan at the very least. if she gets too warm she can always turn it back up. but there is no need for a room to be freezing. just comfortable. :)

That's exactly the point. I understand a little cool air, but I'm on the opposite side of the room and the place is turning into an ice box. She also is not in this room half of the day or more. She's here in sporadic (15-30 minute) bits of time and then she's gone. While she's not in here, the cold air is going off. Left the fan but Geeminy Christmas...
  • fIuffy2fit
    fIuffy2fit Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bring a jacket
    the bright side is that ( i dont know if its true or not) you burn more calories in cold environment because your body shivers and need to produce energy (calories ) to warm your body up. so you are burning extra calories at work.
    lol or its just a myth
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Start a campfire in the middle of the room, she will get the hint.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Bring a sweater or a jacket, like other people said. I sit under two air conditioning vents at my workplace and often have a fleece jacket and a shawl on. Until I'm in bed at night, I feel like I'm never warm...
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    LoL...would be nice if it were true. I am not sure when she's even coming back in.
  • bricktowngal
    Options
    Just tell her, please lower the air conditioning I'm freezing and can barely work! she doesn't do it, get up and lower it yourself.