burping problem

Options
I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen and found a good solution...if so please share!

Since working out vigorously and regularly, drinking lots of water, and changing to a plant-based diet, I have developed an embarrassing problem. I have lots of belly gas, I guess, b/c I burp several times per day. They sneak up on me, these belches. Often the volume and length of them is shocking to me! I try to catch them, cover my mouth, and keep my lips closed when I feel them coming but I don't always realize before it's happening. Any realistic and helpful suggestions/techniques out there for reducing this problem?! I am truly not trying to be funny, but I can see the humor in it. I can just see it this school year...a kid belches at home and the parents tell him/her it is not acceptable and they say, "well, mrs. steier does it!" Oh well, if I don't find a way to curb this problem, At least I say, "excuse me!" :)

Replies

• JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    nobody has any suggestions for me? :sad:
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Gas-x strips maybe? I've never used them for burping but they work for other things. If they occur shortly after eating or drinking be sure you are eating and drinking slowly.
  • Crochetkisses
    Crochetkisses Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've heard of burping being from having extra fiber and needing more water but if you are drinking your amounts not sure what is causing it.
  • stfriend
    stfriend Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Check your diet for things like dairy (might have an intolerance) or anything seriously acidic. Also, just plain gassy foods like beans and such might be a contributing factor.
  • JustPeachy044
    JustPeachy044 Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    anyone ever tried beano? i had thoughts of trying it...

Thanks for your responses so far. I cut back on the greens a bit and added more variety, that has helped some. And I only eat greek yogurt, once a day, for dairy. But I am wondering if the whey protein I use has some contribution to the problem.
  • stormdancer
    stormdancer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    http://www.beano.net/ yeah "Unlike other gas medicines, Beano contains a natural enzyme that can help prevent gas before it starts. Available in a convenient tablet or meltaway, Beano helps you digest the complex carbohydrates in many of your favorite healthy foods - not just beans. With Beano, you can comfortably enjoy nutritious foods that are an essential part of a healthy diet."
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I used to use beano a lot... I should get some more *notices my chicken black bean chilli is still kicking around*

It works :)
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Have heard that the Bio yoghurts and drinks are good to help this, something to do with the 'bacteria in the gut'.

Hope it helps