Lifting Heavy for Women - I think I'm a weed!!!!!!

Options

Replies

• blonde71
    blonde71 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Arrgh - I've been reading various posts about women's lifting; heavy lifting for women; new rules of lifting; stepping away from the Barbie weights etc.... I am just starting the "Lean" month of Chalean Extreme.

But I'm beginning to suspect that my idea of "heavy" is definitely not the same as other peoples!!!

We have a set of adjustable dumbells at home and so far the most I can "lift" is about 15kg - about 33lbs - and that's when I'm doing squats etc (most I can lift on a bicep curl is 10kg and I really struggle with that!). Anything that involves triceps/deltoids/lat raises etc is pathetically light!

I've read posts where ladies are deadlifting 100lbs + - how is this possible? Is it just a matter of building up strength over a period of time? Does everyone lift lighter (heavy) weights depending on what muscle group is being used?

I'm concerned that I thought I was doing a good thing but actually I might not be doing it right and be still on the "Barbie" weights!

Okay, first of all you have to stop comparing yourself to others. No good can come of it, seriously. Everyone's different. Just keep doing your best and your body and strength will develop nicely. Only compete with YOU. As long as you're making progress, who really cares how much you're lifting compared to other women? It's about you not THEM. Hope that helps. :smile:
  • OneFitDude16
    Options
    33 pounds on squats is amazing youre doing a great job! You shouldnt compare yourself to anybody for sure. everyone has a different level of fitness. I can deadlift 250 pounds but i wouldnt compare myself to a bodybuilder
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options

For squats/lunges etc, that's a 15kg weight in each hand;

Biceps are also 10kg in each hand, though I've found my left arm fatigues much more quickly than my right, so I generally do as many as I can at that weight (about 4) and then change to my next weight down, which is 7.5kg.

????? and that's weedy????? I just started NROL4W and have the same fears, but my lunges are 5kg in each hand - not 15!!! My squats at present are with the empty bar, although I need to check tonight how much that weighs on its own. For deadlifts I've added 2.5kg each side.

So no, I think you're doing just fine!!!
  • RachelX04
    RachelX04 Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • leopard_barbie
    leopard_barbie Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I've only just started using 'proper weights' (ie. my fiance's dumbells instead of my pink ones). I upped to 2.5kg in each hand (was using 1.5kg before), not heavy lifting as such but it was for Jillian Michaels Ripped in 30 and for me to complete all the reps with that weight was a real challenge. I know a lot of women can lift a lot heavier than that but that's the most I've ever done and I know I'll get stronger. It felt like so much more of a workout than when I used the 1.5kg and it was honestly the most I could manage for that workout. When it gets easier I'll add more.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    :D You'll build it up and be surprised at what you can do.

12 weeks ago I had never deadlifted a bar heavier than 15kg (33lbs). Now Im deadlifting 75kg (165lbs) and cant wait to go higher, it will come!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    My wife deadlifted 215 the other day. (Squat 190) On a calorie deficit.

She has never lifted weights before, and it took her about 3 months to get to this point.

There's no trick. Just follow a strength building program, like Starting Strength or Stronglift, and it comes with a little time/

That's awesome. Last night I had my old lady in the gym for her first session. After a couple empty bar warmups she did a set of squats with 65. I was like, was that heavy. She was like yeah so heavy. So I added 10lbs and made her do it for 3 more sets :) After that it was standing OHP and bent over bb rows. Somewhere in there I told her she would be lifting more than half the jamokes in there in a few months.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I've started doing Starting Strengh with my husband. I started out doing this and it feeling heavy:

Squats
    35 warm up sets
    45 3x5

Deadlifts
    55 xbunch (was focused on learning how to do them right so I ended up doing a bunch)

Bench press
    45 3x5

I missed a workout so I repeated my weight that I did on the third day.
    After my forth time i'm up to:

Day four

Deadlifts
    65x5

Bench press
    55 3x5

Squats
    75 3x5

Depending on the the exercise i'm adding 5-10 pounds each time I go. What ever you are doing making sure you are doing the exercise correctly with the proper form is WAY more important then how much you are lifting. Technique becomes so important as the weights start to get heaver. I feel kind of stupid squatting, deadlifting, and bench pressing or overhead pressing when all these super fit guys are lifting so much next to me. I started out just using the bar before I started throwing weight on it. You have to just suck it up and do it. It ends up being so much more satisfying then spending eons on the treadmill.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others - it takes TIME!

I started deadlifts at 25 pounds, now I am past 100 pounds...I started bicep curls at 10 pounds now I am at 20 pounds, etc.. It didn't happen overnight. It happened after a *consistent* 2 years of lifting and always challenging myself by changing my routine every 3-4 months.

Keep at it, keep challenging yourself and you will find yourself getting stronger!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I've started doing Starting Strengh with my husband. I started out doing this and it feeling heavy:

Squats
    35 warm up sets
    45 3x5

Deadlifts
    55 xbunch (was focused on learning how to do them right so I ended up doing a bunch)

Bench press
    45 3x5

I missed a workout so I repeated my weight that I did on the third day.
    After my forth time i'm up to:

Day four

Deadlifts
    65x5

Bench press
    55 3x5

Squats
    75 3x5

Depending on the the exercise i'm adding 5-10 pounds each time I go. What ever you are doing making sure you are doing the exercise correctly with the proper form is WAY more important then how much you are lifting. Technique becomes so important as the weights start to get heaver. I feel kind of stupid squatting, deadlifting, and bench pressing or overhead pressing when all these super fit guys are lifting so much next to me. I started out just using the bar before I started throwing weight on it. You have to just suck it up and do it. It ends up being so much more satisfying then spending eons on the treadmill.

A chick squatting an empty bar with proper form will get more respect from me than one doing curls on a bosu ball. Just sayin' I know my opinion doesn't matter, but there you have it.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    LOL I like the "5 x bunch" that made me smile :smile:

For the responses here it seems like I'm deffo heading in the right direction for what I want to achieve (not being "skinny fat", basically!) so I will keep on as I am and carry on pushing on each workout.

Using the guidebook for Chalean is very useful as I can see over the 4 weeks of each phase what weights I have changed and which have stayed the same so it's useful to see that things are moving (mostly).

Thanks to everyone, that's one reason I think these boards are great, everyone is encouraging and usually has great advice/responses! :drinker:
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think your doing fine. I just started lifting "heavy" myself and would agree that the term is relative. I started with 30lbs squats only 2 weeks ago and im already up to 70lbs. we are stronger than we realize especially in the lower body. So keep lifting and progressively adding weight each time. Good luck!
  • holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You'll get there! Everyone has to start somewhere. My back muscles are as strong as most men's now and they sure as heck didn't start that way! Just keep at it and give yourself permission to try more weight than you can handle, because you might surprise yourself!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    For me, lifting heavy is doing as much as I can possibly do for 6-8 reps. If I can do two sets of 8 then I move up to the next weight. I thought I was doing really awesome until I ran into this site http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html but it did help me with my curiosity of comparing.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting is this for me....if I can lift the bar more than 12 times in a row with good form, it is too light. I tend to stay in the 6-8 rep zone but right now I'm doing a 5x5 program. Either way...if I can just keep going after my last set, I know it's too light. Towards the end of your sets, you should be getting close to failure. Here is a link you may find useful:

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    For me, lifting heavy is doing as much as I can possibly do for 6-8 reps. If I can do two sets of 8 then I move up to the next weight. I thought I was doing really awesome until I ran into this site http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html but it did help me with my curiosity of comparing.

Haha! I just posted the same link....great minds think alike :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The workout program you're doing isn't a program that has you doing "heavy lifting." ChaLEAN Extreme has you lifting using a very specific pace that allows you to get the benefit of using much lighter weights. Going at a normal pace you'd be lifting much more. But you won't see those kinds of gains without access to the equipment at a gym. You'd need a barbell and access to a squat rack.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You are doing just fine. Keep it up. I did buy the New Rules of Lifting book and started the program about 8 weeks ago. Phase 1 is all about building your strength. I am deadlifting 95lbs now. Every time I go to the gym, I find it getting easier and I add on more weights. It has been very enjoyable. I used live and die by cardio.
  • sthrnchick
    sthrnchick Posts: 771
    Options
    I have been lifting for a good 4 months...my strength has GREATLY improved. I can lift more than I weigh now....Give it time, make sure to rest in between training, and that you are eating enough good cals. I love to lift....makes me feel all bad *kitten*!
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    "Heavy" is relative to your own strength. As long as it's challenging for you to complete the last reps of your set(s), you're doing great. If you eat enough and allow yourself enough recovery time, you'll get stronger.