To have a mole removed or not to have a mole removed?

Options
Now that it is summer and I have lost a bit of weight I want to be able to wear dresses. However I have a big mole (about 3 inches diameter) right underneath my knee and I have always been really aware of that.
I have never worn shorts or dresses because of it.

Now that I am loosing weight, I am starting to consider it, but I am also doubting it.

The mole is in quite a noticeable spot and a lot of people tend to notice it and make remarks about it, so I am quite aware of the mole and it kind of makes me want to hide by wearing long jeans and dresses.
However, I have also had it all my life and it kind of feels like the mole is part of what makes me me (as a kid I even learned the difference between right and left by remembering which leg my mole is on, haha). I also don't know if a scar is going to be an improvement on a mole either and if it is worth it having the mole removed.

Has anyone on here had a mole removed or knows whether a scar would disappear properly?
What would any of you do?

Replies

• ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I've had several removed (family history of fatal skin cancer means my doctor doesn't take any chances) and you really can't predict how it will scar. Some of mine aren't really noticeable, but I have one on my arm that left a huge scar in the shape of the mole with the stitches (and now is turning brown again). If yours is that big, I'd advise having your doctor refer you to a cosmetic surgeon to perform the removal; they're much more skilled at minimizing scars than a dermatologist will be.
  • jinglett
    jinglett Posts: 69
    Options
    Be aware when a mole is removed they take 3 times the area of the mole to remove it. You will have a rather large incision site. However, the scars usually fade nearly unnoticed after wards. Good Luck with whatever you decide.
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would hope that I would just embrace my mole as part of my unique body and wear what I want.

BUT, I only have a few small moles, so that's easy to say.
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    If this is not removed you will have to monitor it for changes in color and texture for the rest of your life to make sure it does not show signs of cancer. So aside from removing it for the aesthetic reasons, I would remove it as a preventative measure.

Wanted to add I did have a mole removed, it was just under my armpit and I was worried the irritation of shaving would be problematic, the scar is barely noticeable, but if you look close you can see there is a little depression where the skin was removed. I would do it again simply because it is one less thing to worry about.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have had a dermatologist check it for cancer and it has never changed shape or colour ever, so it is purely cosmetic.

I myself tend to believe that it is part of who I am and part of my unique body, but every time someone makes a comment on it (almost every time it is visible), it puts a huge dent in my confidence and then I feel like covering it up all the time or having it removed.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've had 7 moles removed for various reasons.. and some scar, and some do not.

I would talk to a dermatologist and see what he says.. be aware though that it does cost to have a mole removed(I believe mine is like 500 dollars or so per mole) and it may or may not be covered by insurance.
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I have had a dermatologist check it for cancer and it has never changed shape or colour ever, so it is purely cosmetic.

I myself tend to believe that it is part of who I am and part of my unique body, but every time someone makes a comment on it (almost every time it is visible), it puts a huge dent in my confidence and then I feel like covering it up all the time or having it removed.
    If it really doesn't bother you (and the idea of getting it removed does), don't get it removed. I mean, changing something you consider an integral part of yourself in response to occasional offhand comments? That's crazy! Rather than take a blow to your confidence, tell the next person who says something exactly what you've told us here, that it's something you've always had and thought was a cool and unique part of yourself.
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options

If you are fine with monitoring it I wouldn't worry about what any one else says. Look at Cindy Crawford, it made her money.
  • millyvanilli321
    millyvanilli321 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    From what you've said this mole seems to be important to you!

I am quite a freckly/moley person and I had a mole removed from my back about 4 years ago; the scar is at least 5 times the size of the original mole, will never tan and so will always stand out. (It's on my back so it doesn't bother me, I don't have to see it! lol)

It was removed because my doctor thought it best to take it off as a preventative measure (history of malignant melanoma in my family). When I was at the hospital for the surgery, I was taken to have photographs taken of my whole body, including close ups on large/irregular moles so that I can keep a record and check if there have been any visible changes to my moles. I suggest taking some photos yourself if you are worried about your moles changing and becoming malignant, or simply ask your doctor to have a look over them.

One last thought - if your mole is 3 inches in diameter, are you sure it is a mole? Could simply be a birthmark, which would eliminate any threat of skin cancer.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I'd have that checked out for cancer-prevention reasons alone. Any bigger than the size of a pencil eraser is a concern.

I've had 6 removed now that have come back "atypical". Don't mess around with that kind of stuff.
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Wear your shorts and skirts with pride! You've worked hard to achieve your weight loss, don't let a mole hold you back. I have a mole on my neck that looks like a small hickey so when people ask me dumb questions about it, I have fun with it! "Yes, I met this guy last night with a really tiny mouth!"
    Sometimes people just don't have any common sense, that's not your problem.
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options

If its part of you and what makes you unique then why do you care what anyone else thinks? Instead of letting others comments dent your confidence just say its what makes me me and I love it. End of story.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I had a mole on my chin that I never wanted to remove because I felt like it was part of me, and I liked it. But then it got itchy when I started having skin problems, so I had it removed. I seriously don't miss it.

If you like it and want to keep it, then don't let it stop you from wearing clothing that shows it off. But if it makes you feel that self-conscious, then have it removed. It's a simple procedure, and yes, you may have a scar, but it's likely not going to be a bad one. The scar would be less noticeable than the mole, so if you're going for "less noticeable," remove it.
  • nuanwc
    nuanwc Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I actually just had a mole completely excised which is different from having it removed. It was the same size as yours and when I went to the dermatologist for an unrelated reason she checked it out and wasn't comfortable leaving it. So she shaved it off (numbed the area with a couple of shots and literally shaved it off. It didn't hurt and after a week or so I no longer needed a bandage and just applied triple ointment and vitamin E to prevent scarring). It was sent for testing and the results came back atypical which is what led to a complete excision of the area where the mole was (and this is what some of the replies are referring). The latter is what can lead to scarring and discoloration more than just having it removed via shaving.
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Remove it! Any scar will be very light and far less noticable than the mole. If it bothers you, remove it!
  • veerichie
    veerichie Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm going to have a suspicious mole removed in October and as far as I know scarring is just inevitable (especially on a mole as big as the one you are describing)

If it will make you feel more confident, then by all means have it removed.

I know what it feels like to always have to hide my legs... I've had eczema my entire life and whenever I wear shorts people actually make comments like "What happened to your legs??" "are those mosquito bites?" "did a dog/cat scratch you?" "did you get into a patch of poison ivy?" So it's to the point where I just never wear dresses or shorts or even cropped pants :frown: If I could have a doctor get rid of the eczema on my legs, I totally would.
  • Illona88
    Options

One last thought - if your mole is 3 inches in diameter, are you sure it is a mole? Could simply be a birthmark, which would eliminate any threat of skin cancer.

I don't actually know the difference. In Dutch we only have one word for both, so when the dermatologist checked it out she didn't mention a difference.
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

I don't actually know the difference. In Dutch we only have one word for both, so when the dermatologist checked it out she didn't mention a difference.

A mole is generally a raised patch of brown skin. A birthmark is a place on your skin that is darkly colored but not raised- like freckles. They can be quite large and in brown, red colors, or even a bit darker than your regular skin tone.

I have had a few moles removed, one on my rib cage. They told me it "might" scar and it did. But it's light and not a mole so I don't mind and no one notices.

My brother had a birthmark on his shoulder that he HATED. (It was just above the clavicle and toward his neck.) He had it removed years ago and says he wishes he hadn't. The scarring bothers him and I guess it gets really itchy in the area it one was.

ETA: moles are normally round (if not, you know what to do), but a birthmark can be in many shapes. Oval is probably the most common. I have one shaped like an old style key on my upper thigh.
  • dawnp1833
    dawnp1833 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I had a mole removed, and had the same concerns as you before. I wish I'd done it years sooner! The procedure was not a big deal at all. There isn't really a scar, but the skin there doesn't tan like the skin around it, so in the summer I can tell where it was, but I don't think it's really noticeable to anyone else. I had the whole "it's a part of me" argument with myself but I don't miss it at all.
  • Illona88
    Options
    I'm thinking about maybe just making an appointment with my doctor so I can speak with a dermatologist to learn more about it.
    I have loads of smaller ones as well and quite a few are irregular in shape and colour, so it's probably a good idea to have those checked out as well.

@ Pipsg1rl: then it is definitely a mole. And I have a couple of scars from a car accident and those itch as well, so I am pretty much used to that already.