Sugar intake

Options
So, almost everyday I go way over my daily sugar allowence of 25 grams. But it is mostly (If not all) Fruit, dairy, and veggies. Is this bad? I find that if I stay within my sugar allowence, I don't get enough fruit and veggies. Feel free to check out my diary, it is open. Thanks for anything you guys can tell me.

Replies

• Discogirl15
    Options
    :smile: Bump! Help me out here guys!!!
  • EHuntRN
    EHuntRN Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • Discogirl15
    Options
    Bump again!! (Am I desperate?!?) :laugh:
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Take that sugar limit as a limit for added sugars. As long as you hit your macro goals and stay in your calorie goals, you don't have to worry about sugar from fruits and vegetables (unless you are eating a lot of servings every day~then you're most likely not hitting your macros anyway). They come with vitamins, minerals and fiber that your body needs. Berries of any kind is a good choice if you're looking for alternatives with less sugar.
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    No, it's not bad. They're natural sugars and you're only slightly over anyway. MFP sets sugar low. Don't worry too much.

What should concern you is being under 1200 every day (or under 1000 a lot of days). You're not getting enough calories in the way of carbs and fat. Especially because you're young and still growing. Please eat more.

Restricting this much isn't sustainable and won't help you to lose weight faster.

I notice you only eat three meals - add some snacks of nuts and cheese. Please!:flowerforyou:
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    to the body sugar is sugar, and physiologically eating a ton of fruits causes the same response as eating a candy bar, which can lead to storing fat. I only eat fruits that are low in sugar, most berries are like this.
  • Discogirl15
    Options
    to the body sugar is sugar, and physiologically eating a ton of fruits causes the same response as eating a candy bar, which can lead to storing fat. I only eat fruits that are low in sugar, most berries are like this.

So many people have said this, but that pretty much means I could never eat a banana! I would be living off of rice cakes if ALL sugar ruined my body! No offense, but I think I will trust the people who say that fruit is good for you. It's not like I eat 3 apples a day!:ohwell:
  • Discogirl15
    Options
    No, it's not bad. They're natural sugars and you're only slightly over anyway. MFP sets sugar low. Don't worry too much.

What should concern you is being under 1200 every day (or under 1000 a lot of days). You're not getting enough calories in the way of carbs and fat. Especially because you're young and still growing. Please eat more.

Restricting this much isn't sustainable and won't help you to lose weight faster.

I notice you only eat three meals - add some snacks of nuts and cheese. Please!:flowerforyou:

Yeah, I know. Many people have told me that my calories are too low. But whatever I do, I can't seem to raise them. Especially without feeling guilty the next day.:indifferent:
  • Discogirl15
    Options
    Take that sugar limit as a limit for added sugars. As long as you hit your macro goals and stay in your calorie goals, you don't have to worry about sugar from fruits and vegetables (unless you are eating a lot of servings every day~then you're most likely not hitting your macros anyway). They come with vitamins, minerals and fiber that your body needs. Berries of any kind is a good choice if you're looking for alternatives with less sugar.

Thanks! Everyone on this site is so helpful! :bigsmile:
  • DeTaart
    DeTaart Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Yeah, I know. Many people have told me that my calories are too low. But whatever I do, I can't seem to raise them. Especially without feeling guilty the next day.:indifferent:

You shouldn't feel guilty about giving your body what it NEEDS. If you want to tone up (you're already at a healthy weight) you need fuel to burn.

The guilt thing is bad, and it can get out of control, trust me.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Unless you're diabetic or have a family history, going over in good sugars shouldn't be too bad for you.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options

So many people have said this, but that pretty much means I could never eat a banana! I would be living off of rice cakes if ALL sugar ruined my body! No offense, but I think I will trust the people who say that fruit is good for you. It's not like I eat 3 apples a day!:ohwell:

That's the reason I don't eat bananas anymore lol
  • Discogirl15
    Options

That's the reason I don't eat bananas anymore lol

LOL! unfortuinitly, I LOVE bananas! So... Good for you though!:flowerforyou: I just don't have the self-control!
  • skonly
    skonly Posts: 371
    Options
    It is better to go over in sugar eating fruits instead of cakes. I saw a person in another thread say they were fat from eating too much fruit. I find it hard to believe eating fruit caused someone to weigh 300 pounds. That's just me but I have to think there was something else involved.

I am taking some supplements for some some issues I'm having and praying they work because I don't want to cut fruit out of my diet. I have to do some research into and see what I can do.

Fruit is good for you. If you look through everyone's diet you can find problems in them all. It's all about what works for you. I see people swearing fruit is the enemy yet they eat at taco bell 5 times a week. So obviously a few pieces of fruit is not what they should be focusing on.

It's all about balance. If there were any certain food group that caused all of us to gain weight I'm pretty sure someone would have figured it out by now. lol.

Try adding a little more protein and veggies. Don't feel guilty. Pat yourself on the back every time you give your body nutrients.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    So, almost everyday I go way over my daily sugar allowence of 25 grams. But it is mostly (If not all) Fruit, dairy, and veggies. Is this bad? I find that if I stay within my sugar allowence, I don't get enough fruit and veggies. Feel free to check out my diary, it is open. Thanks for anything you guys can tell me.

This topic comes up a million times a day, that's why you aren't getting much response. Search the forums and you'll find your answer, typed up many, many, many times.