This plateau is killing me!

Options

Replies

• RunningMatt77
    RunningMatt77 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I hear you, I am 35 and it is tougher at this stage to shed it then when we were younger. When you hit that level were you are not moving. Even the slightest change will have a extreme effect on you. The best key is not to do anything extreme, just the slightest change in routine will shock your body
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Oh and I just ditched my previous diet plan I've been using for the last 6 months and decided to go in another direction. I feel like it's necessary because my body just got used to what I was doing before. Which of course wouldn't be a big deal if I was in a maintenance mode, but I'm 15 pounds from there. I feel like I've come so far and there's not much left, but it's so hard sometimes. And I certainly see a difference in the ease of weight loss now that I am over 30 :(

Also, since you don't have a lot left to lose I would suggest switching your MFP settings to lose .5/week instead of the 1lb/week. You have to fuel that machine. Also, you mention the phrase "diet plan". Diet plans do not work long term. If they did the diet industry would not be making millions of people desperate to try anything. Look how many diet plans come out each year by 'experts' toting the next best thing. We would not be a nation of obese and overweight people if the diet plans actually worked long term.
  • acpgranberg
    acpgranberg Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I had a two-year plateau until I started strength training. That has seemed to make all the difference.
  • Christi6604
    Christi6604 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

This article helped me break my six month plateau a while ago. I had to slightly up my calories (about 150 per day) and slightly lower my cardio. Which, was not intuitive.

I think you just have to keep playing around with it until you figure out what works for you. Good luck.
  • Abbygrlbff
    Abbygrlbff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Mon 08/13/12 07:03 AMYou may want to consider changing out some of the foods you eat. I see people complaining about being stuck all the time and then see they are eating bad foods. I'm not saying you are but it's something to look into. A lot of people save calories so they can have fattening desserts and treats every day and wonder why they don't lose. They always blame it on starvation mode. lol. I always get slammed when I say stuff like that but I am going off what I see. Change out some of your foods and I be you see a difference.

I'm in my early 40's....so yes it does become a little more difficult with age. I haven't had to lose weight in over 20 years. The main difference I see is just adding in more fresh foods and cutting out the processed stuff.

Outdoor workouts are difficult where I live due to heat. People in different climates have to figure out what works for them. It may be buying home equipment, joining a gym or changing the time of day.

I'm sure you will be fine and get it all worked out.

I actually think you are spot on here with the reason that I am in a plateu. I am staying within my calories, but I truly think my sugar levels are WAY too high.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    How long have you been stuck at the same weight, and during this time that you were stuck, do you know your average intake of:

calories,

protein, carbohydrate, fat (in grams)

During this sticking point were you tracking intake, or have you recently started tracking?
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah! I'm from NH too... seacoast! feel free to add me for support. (I can give you some excellent NH outdoor exercise ideas! SNOW SHOE! Monster calorie burner!)

I HEAR you. I had a similar journey. Started at 182 and hung in the 150s for what felt like FOREVER! I'm at my goal weight now but I thought I would never get here. What finally broke the line was taking a vacation with friends. We were very active, constantly walking and running and swimming in the ocean... and eating really well but only twice a day. Late breakfast, early dinner. I finally broke the barrier because I completely messed up my usual pattern.

I find that alternating caloric intake from day to day (take your weekly calories and divided them up among the days, but unevenly... like 1200 one day and then 2000 the next, then down to 1500 etc.) can trick your body to lose, but you really need a change in the routine. Try switching exercise or elminating all sugar for a week to see if you can get your body to pay attention.
  • Paul_Hodge
    Options
    I am keeping my eye out for a treadmill on craigslist or something. I can't afford anything brand new but definitely need something for winter!

Can I make a suggestion? This is just from my own, personal experience. I think you should look at gettting an eliptical trainer. I wear a HRM when I work out and, again, this is just what I've noticed, I seem to burn about 15% more calories on an eliptical trainer than I do on the treadmill.

Also, I feel you on the plateau. I'm 33 and I'm experiencing one right now. I'm down about 20 and my body is fighting me to stay fat.

Good luck.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    These are the 2 tools that I think are most effective in breaking thru a plateau (or avoiding one to begin with).

HIIT interval training (someone else already explained this)

Tracking calories weekly instead of daily. I try to average 1590 calories/day. So one day a week I'll eat 1000, two days I'll eat 1200, 2 days I'll have 1500, 1 day I'll have 1800, and 1 day I'll have 2900. Your body doesn't know what to expect. Plus I can enjoy my weekends a little more.
  • bosslady69
    bosslady69 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Melva and had been stuck at 180-175 for about a year it would just go up and down. Then I realized I had been doing the same thing and my body had gotten use to my routine. So I cut out bread, meat, and diary and drank only water for 2 weeks and kicked up my cardio and went up a notch on strength training and broke my plateau in 2 weeks. Now my thing is keeping it going and not going back up agter finally breaking it. I'm now logging my food daily which I have never been successful at which is another reason it was hard to break my plateau because I was eating more calories than I thought I was. Feel free to add me. Good luck and keep me posted. YOU CAN DO IT.
  • ltkasmala
    ltkasmala Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi Sarah,

I am 52 and have lost about 15 pounds since I started using this site regularly. I realize my situation is not exactly the same as yours (if you think being 30 something makes weight loss a challenge, wait until you are my age O_o)! but I, too, only recently got past a common plateau. I discovered, though I was keeping within my calorie limit each day, I had shifted from eating food foods to more snacks, though they were "good" snacks. Eating only snacks, though isn't so good. Thankfully I caught the issue by reviewing my foods per day. I am slowly starting to loose again! Go over your food journal and see if there are any patterns that have changed that could be a culprit!

I understand one thing that can be occurring is your metabolism may need to be "re-set". Here is a link to one idea for doing this, but if you Google the topic, there are a number of other suggestions:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/465299-diet-to-reset-your-metabolism/

I have not tried this metabolism adjustment myself, but it may take a few weeks to implement and see results. Your body kind of has to be tricked into thinking it needs x amount of calories for a short time, then you can reduce it and the body will start to burn fat again, which will result in weight loss!

I hope some of this helps!

Lorraine
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Our bodies will work very hard to keep us from losing weight. This is known as the "set point" theory. In most cases, after we lose 10% of our total weight, our body goes into preserve mode. At the same time, your body also becomes used to your eating and exercise patterns. Despite even your greatest efforts, your body will do all it can to maintain and you will plateau.

This totally happened to me. I stalled for months. I added more protein, switched up my workouts and upped my calories and dropped more after that. Try switching things around and see what works. Different strokes for different folks. As far as inside working out with the winter, what about trying one of the popular dvd's or a wii fit/xbox kinect?
  • bosslady69
    bosslady69 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS, TRICK YOUR BODY TO LOSE

Hi Sarah! I'm from NH too... seacoast! feel free to add me for support. (I can give you some excellent NH outdoor exercise ideas! SNOW SHOE! Monster calorie burner!)

I HEAR you. I had a similar journey. Started at 182 and hung in the 150s for what felt like FOREVER! I'm at my goal weight now but I thought I would never get here. What finally broke the line was taking a vacation with friends. We were very active, constantly walking and running and swimming in the ocean... and eating really well but only twice a day. Late breakfast, early dinner. I finally broke the barrier because I completely messed up my usual pattern.

I find that alternating caloric intake from day to day (take your weekly calories and divided them up among the days, but unevenly... like 1200 one day and then 2000 the next, then down to 1500 etc.) can trick your body to lose, but you really need a change in the routine. Try switching exercise or elminating all sugar for a week to see if you can get your body to pay attention.
  • Huskeryogi
    Huskeryogi Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Oh and I actually prefer jogging outside in the winter (as long as there's no snow) to jogging outside during the summer. They make great gear for jogging outside that is warm without being bulky.

And I've never used these but a lot of people swear by them. These are YouTube bodyweight workouts you can do in small spaces.

Just search
    Adam Steer
    Scott Sonnon
    Ryan Murdock
    Craig Ballantyne
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my ideas:

1) make sure you are accurately measuring the food you put into the diary. Make sure you are not underestimating your calories and that your daily intake is just enough to lose about 1 to 1.5 pounds a week. This should be enough for steady progress but not so much that your body keeps fighting against you.

2) Be completely honest in your food log. Not saying you are not but this was something I had to own up to. A late night binge should be recorded. Take your diary off public view if necessary. Accurate information is important (based on personal experience! lol)

3) make sure your exercise routine is not too routine. Find ways to mix things up and have variety. Always shoot for intensity over time.

4) Take a look at IF/Intermittent Fasting. It's not for everyone but it has worked for me. It does more than offer a scheme to reduce calories, it helps trigger the production of HGH (human growth hormone) which then allows for easier fat loss.

5) Create a goal weight and put a date on it. Throw it out there with your friends and local support system. Accountability, indirect and direct can be a great motivator.

6) Finally patience. This can take time and its not the same as initial weight loss.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You may want to consider changing out some of the foods you eat. I see people complaining about being stuck all the time and then see they are eating bad foods. I'm not saying you are but it's something to look into. A lot of people save calories so they can have fattening desserts and treats every day and wonder why they don't lose. They always blame it on starvation mode. lol. I always get slammed when I say stuff like that but I am going off what I see. Change out some of your foods and I be you see a difference.

I'm in my early 40's....so yes it does become a little more difficult with age. I haven't had to lose weight in over 20 years. The main difference I see is just adding in more fresh foods and cutting out the processed stuff.

Outdoor workouts are difficult where I live due to heat. People in different climates have to figure out what works for them. It may be buying home equipment, joining a gym or changing the time of day.

I'm sure you will be fine and get it all worked out.

Agree 100%. I spent the first 6 months here following a low-fat, low-calorie, healthy diet - exercise like crazy - and I did lose 10lbs (I was in the upper range of a healthy weight. 130+ and my goal was 10lbs since 120lbs was my lowest adult weight). In May 2011 I started Primal Blueprint as an experiment (I now call my lifestyle "functional paleo"; paleo is my "baseline" and I have tweaked it to suit my body and my needs - this is where any type of "diet" should end up - personalized to suit your body's needs). Turned out my body was craving real, whole foods and FAT!! I have dropped 12lbs below my lowest weight (with less exercise); I have a 26" waist for the first time in my life - and a pretty flat belly. I also figured out on my own, by investing in a blood sugar monitor, that I'm prediabetic. In fact my Fibromyalgia diagnosis - I believe - was actually Reactive Hypoglycemia (prediabetes). Had I kept following the Standard American Diet - even the healthiest version of it - I would have went right into full blown diabetes. (And you don't have to be diabetic for your blood sugars to be high enough to keep your body from being able to access your stored body fat).

I don't log or track calories. I maintain around 110lbs (I'm 5'2" - I've seen 108lbs but my body wasn't happy - it let me know it needed a little more weight) by what I put in my mouth, not how much. Body composition is 80% diet. The other 20% is a combo of genetics and exercise. Primal Blueprint was the best thing I have ever done...for my body and my health. (I dropped 7lbs of water and fat the first 6 weeks on it). My guess is about 65%-70% of my daily calories come from fats - mostly animal fats. And I have to eat a lot to maintain.

BUT N=1. Just keep plugging along - tweaking along the way - and you'll find your N=1.

BE YOUR OWN SCIENTIST!!!!
  • KCramer12
    KCramer12 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It happens to us all. I couldnt get out of the 150s for months. Then finally got to the 140s and same thing it took ages to finally see a 1&3. U can do it. Try changing your cal intake, more protein, less sodium.. etc. Good luck! Feel free to add me.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I recommended increasing your calories. Your body may have adapted to your diet/exercise regimen and has refused to lose. I run 6 days a week for about 40 to 60 minutes a day while maintaining a 1700 calorie diet. I severely plateaued and could not lose. I began zig zagging my calories with a slight increase in calories. Since then I have drastically lost weight. Homeostasis is most likely to blame. You should consider viewing daniel's mfp roadmap 2.0

I would like to also add: what works for me might not work for you. I am not saying my way is the right way. Adjust to what you think will best assist you with your weight loss.

best of luck.
  • MommaRou56
    MommaRou56 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    This is so pertinent to me today. I was going to post about the same thing. I have been hovering back and forth within a pound or so -- usually .4 or .6 of a lb. -- for about two weeks. It's driving me crazy! I do plan to start taking some cardio classes because I think they'll kick my butt harder and, hopefully, that will get me off of this. It wouldn't bother me so much except I'm right at a point where that last little bit will get me into ONEDERLAND, and it's just killing me! In fact, I have reached that goal on my scale at home and one at the doctor's office, but the one scale I use to actually chart my weight (at my office) will not budge below that point. I want to use the same scale to track my progress because that's the only way to be accurate, but UGH! I'm dying!
  • fitnsandyfun
    fitnsandyfun Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my name is Sarah. I'm sort of new to the site. I signed up quite a while ago but I never used it. I'm almost 34 years old, weigh 150 (started at 178), and can't seem to break out of the 150 zone. I have decided to change my diet and kick up my exercise routine, but wow this is really hard! I live in New Hampshire so I am also dreading the cold weather that is coming since I don't belong to a gym and my exercise is outside. Anyone having struggles with a plateau? Anyone noticing the difficulties in losing weight in your 30's versus your 20's? Just looking for support :)

Hi, I know that after you eat really good and healthy for awhile your metabolism adjust to it. So try having one high calories day a week to shock your metabolism . :) I hit plateau for roughly 6 months until i tried that and it works :)

add me :)