More weight lifting advice needed.

Options
I'm a 100% newbie to weight lifting (today was literally the first day in my life I used the strength training equipment at the gym). I only had time to do my arms and back so I was considering doing only abs and legs tmrw. What I don't know is if that would be good to give my arms/back a rest or if it's best to stick with it to build muscle :huh: . As any "normal" person, I don't want to pull a muscle but I do want results asap.

Replies

• audreygonzy
    Options
    bump
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set routine.
    I don't really have a plan before I get to the gym.
    If i do the same exercises I did the day before, I really don't care.
    The muscles I have built have been from winging it. I have watched some videos on youtube to get an idea of proper form and how to do the exercise.
    Proper form is very important, to avoid injury. Always have soft knees, straight back and a tight core.
    Do mix up your sets. Some fast, some slow.
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    You need to figure out a split...mine is:

Sunday: Shoulders
    Monday: Hammies & Glutes
    Tuesday: Bis & Tris
    Wedensday: Quads
    Thursday: Chest
    Friday: Back
    Saturday: off
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Working out is the stimulus but you need rest for growth and repair. Working each muscle once or twice a week is all that is needed.
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Your muscles need a break - at least 24 - 48 hours. Work different body parts tomorrow if you got to the gym every day.
    I only lift 3 days a week so I do a total body routine.
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts and Starting Strength are both simple and effective programs aimed towards beginners.

http://www.stronglifts.com/
  • WhyeatKachra
    WhyeatKachra Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    NROL4W is the answer.

Also, would recommend Stronglifts.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You want to give at least 24 hr rest period between muscles worked... so if you did arms and chest today, I wouldn't do arms and chest again until Thursday.

Since you are new to weight training it seems, I would look into a total body strength training program instead of a split body.
    I do total body strength training 3X a week and I do a mix of barbell, bodyweight and dumbbell exercises... and I see pretty good results from it.

I also know you said you want fast results, but like with anything weight related, you need to be patient. You aren't going to get big and strong over night.. and if you go to fast, you risk injury.
  • Chris_acc_can
    Options
    Since you are starting out I would go with a push/pull workout. Essentially it splits the workout into 3 days:

Day 1 - Chest and Tri's
    Day 2 - Back and Bi's
    Day 3 - Legs and Shoulders
    Day 4- Rest

The idea behind push/pull is that is groups muscle groups by the range of motion. So any chest exercise you do will engage the triceps as both are push movements. Biceps will be engaged in all back exercises, pull movements. Day 3 just completes the total body workout.

Each muscle group should get 3 days to recover. This will allow muscle to repair, rebuild and grow.

Number of exercises, reps, and sets, really varies depending on your goals/objectives.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Good for you, finding your way into resistance training.

NROL4W is a program a lot of women have had great results with.

Starting Strength is another more generic / beginner program.

Either of these programs will have you learning good technique and routines straight out of the gate. Follow them as they're designed and watch your strength improve.

Rest, nutrition and training are the three things that when combined will pave the way to a better body.