Post-Partum Weightloss

Options
*SIGH* So I don't know if I'm still considered post-partum since my son is almost 10 months old but the weight seems to be glued to my body. I have tried and tried since last October to lose some pounds but it's just not coming off.

I would like to know what other recent mama's have done to lose their baby weight. How much did you gain during pregnancy and how much do you need to lose?

I gained 35lbs which brought me to 178 during my 9th month. I'm currently at 161 and I would like to drop about 20-30 pounds.

Replies

• McRib23
    McRib23 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have a 9 month old and I can relate. I just joined today so I have no advice but good luck!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I gained 28 pounds with my second. I've lost 70 since having her 8 1/2 months ago with counting calories and breastfeeding.
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Right there with you. My youngest 2 are only 13 months apart. I have lost all the weight from my 2 month old and am now starting to lose the weight from my 15 month old. Take it a day and a time. =)
  • MrsNelson0904
    MrsNelson0904 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I was really counting on breast feeding but it never worked out for me. My milk supply was very low and I had to supplement a lot. It was more stressful that I wanted it to be. Eventually my milk just dried up on its own. I credit the first 18 pounds lost to the breastfeeding but now I'm on my own.
  • aloha311
    aloha311 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was really counting on breast feeding but it never worked out for me. My milk supply was very low and I had to supplement a lot. It was more stressful that I wanted it to be. Eventually my milk just dried up on its own. I credit the first 18 pounds lost to the breastfeeding but now I'm on my own.

I'm one of the weird people who hold onto weight when breastfeeding. I Have never lost any weight while breastfeeding. =(
  • Dhemeyer
    Dhemeyer Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    My little one is nearly 3, and only in the last year has my weight loss been consistant. I gained between 30-40 lbs during my pregnancy. For the first 2 years I tried a number of things, sometimes they worked and other times they didn't. However it wasn't until I started working out, eating a balanced diet, and counting my cals did my weight start to come off and stay off.
    It can be such a frustrating and confusing process, that's for sure. I had help from a Beachbody coach (also a momma) and I used a few Beachbody fitness programs (because getting to the gym was impossibel) and the nutrition guides that accompanied these programs (to help me learn how to eat properly). This is what worked for me. Keep chipping away, asking for advice, and forming a support system that helps you stay accountable. You really can get there.
    Best wishes!
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    My son turned 2 last week and I am 9lbs away from pre pregnancy weight .... and it's taken me 2 years of gaining, loosing, faffing about. Only in the last 6 months have I really knuckled down, so it probably could have taken me less time!

My start weight was 196lbs, and I am currently 155lbs. My goal weight is 146lbs, and my height is 5'4. The majority of my weight loss was due to Weight Watchers, but more recently MFP.
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I never lost any weight either through the 14 months of breastfeeding I did .. gutted!
  • MrsNelson0904
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies ladies.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It is a long journey but I lost over 120 with my first and then over 100 with my second and over 50 with my twins in which my weight stalled because I was on birth control and now I have lost 30 pounds so far. It has taken me 2 years with the first 4 everytime and the 5th it has only been 5 months since he was born. I lost the first 3 times doing weight watchers and not eating back my exercise points and now I am doing the same. I am eating 1800 calories and not eating back my exercise .
  • jenn0113
    jenn0113 Posts: 25
    Options
    When I had my son I gained 65 lbs total between fertility meds and pregnancy weight. Afterward, I only lost about 20-25 lbs from delivery and maybe breastfeeding. After a year or two I joined MFP and lost the rest of the weight by logging calories and walking and doing Zumba 1-2/week. I was so excited to finally be back to my pre-pregnancy weight! Then, 3 months later I was pleasantly surprised to find out I was pregnant again. :)

So now I am back on MFP and logging calories and walking when I can, taking stairs and doing any extra activity I can fit in my schedule. I gained 53 lbs during pregnancy the second time and I have 18 more lbs to lose. (I'm 5'4). I credit all my success to MFP.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    What is your exercise/nutrition plan right now? Why do *you* think it isn't working?

I know for me, a large part of my weightloss is associated with sleep-- the more I sleep the less I crave bad food during the day.

I lost 40 lbs after my second child, with a combination of watching calorie intake, 30DS, and running the C25K with my little one in the jogging stroller. Exercising daily worked for me.
  • MrsNelson0904
    Options
    I'm so glad to know that I'm not on my own. I lost all my weight so quickly after my first son was born and this second pregnancy was completely different. I would love to add you all as buddies if that's ok?
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    My baby is 8 and a half months old. I gained 20 during pregnancy, due to gaining about 15 pre-pregnancy and then being on a gestational diabetes diet during the pregnancy. At 3 months post partum I joined MFP and counted calories only for 3 months. The last two and a half I joined a boot camp class 3 times a week. I ended pregnancy at 198, started MFP at 173, and am now 147 with about 17 pounds to go. I am very happy to say that I am down 30 pounds from pre-pregnancy weight! Just stick to MFP and it will work!
  • MrsNelson0904
    Options
    What is your exercise/nutrition plan right now? Why do *you* think it isn't working?

I know for me, a large part of my weightloss is associated with sleep-- the more I sleep the less I crave bad food during the day.

I lost 40 lbs after my second child, with a combination of watching calorie intake, 30DS, and running the C25K with my little one in the jogging stroller. Exercising daily worked for me.

I've just recently started both of those exercise plans so I'm hoping it helps kick start things. I know my diet has been a big part of my lack of weightloss but I'm trying to change that.
  • danessa1
    danessa1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have 2 girls, 3 and 1 1/2. The weight fell off after my first with breastfeeding. However, I still have 12 pounds from my second that will not budge. So I understand completely. I'm excercising and eating well,but my body just isn't letting go of the weight. : (
  • browneyedhunni85
    browneyedhunni85 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had my son at the end of March and I'm struggling with the same thing. I gained about 50 lbs during pregnancy. I still have about 20-25 lbs before I'm where I was when I got pregnant. I've discovered that MFP has really helped me. I don't BF anymore either.
  • louwhoski
    louwhoski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I never lost weight with my first two breastfeeding. The most I gained during pregnancy was 15lbs and I always seemed to keep 5lbs pp. With my 3rd I have lost weight. I pump only. She also has a milk allergy so I contribute that to my weight loss. I just joined MFP. I love how it works so far. Don't give up! It will get better.
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to know that I'm not on my own. I lost all my weight so quickly after my first son was born and this second pregnancy was completely different. I would love to add you all as buddies if that's ok?

I'm on here because I never lost the weight after my 2nd one either. I had my babies too close together and my body never had a chance to recover from the first pregnancy. Up until now I just haven't committed to really making the effort to watch calories and exercise consistently.

My suggestion is to make sure that you're taking a multivitamin to restore depleted vitamin stores in your body. Make sure you are eating enough calories. Try to make sure it's healthy calories including whole grains, fruits and vegetables. And of course, try to exercise several times a week for at least 30 minutes. That's easier said than done with 2 kiddos at home... Stick with it and you'll get there. I'm determined to this time!
  • Rey01009
    Options
    I lost all 23 lbs I gained plus an extra 10 in the 3 months after, but at the 5 month mark for Iz, I had gained back 25 lbs. I found out I had post partum thyroiditis. Which now I have permanent hypothyroidism and that can make you gain weight and make it hard to lose it. I also breastfed for the first 9 months and that helped for a little while, but then I gained all that weight quickly. I had been working hard to lose the weight for 3 months prior to joining MFP, but nothing worked until I got here.

Just be diligent in logging and exercising. Drink A LOT of water. That has helped me cleanse a bit and keeps me full so I avoid the snacking. And remember, DO NOT weigh yourself everyday. This only creates discouragement. Get a jogging stroller, it has worked wonders for me.

You can do it!