antidepressants and weight loss struggle. talk to me.

Options
I never struggled with weight until I
A) had 3 kids
and
B) went on antidepressants.

Feeling hopeless right now.

I saw everyone's success pictures last night and at first it was encouraging and the more I looked the more down in the dumps I got. I'd just like to look like a lot of people's BEFORE pictures.

Is there hope? I'm okay with never being a size 6 again but dang I'd like to lose another 10-20 pounds (lost 20ish last year).

I have to stay on the meds, so not taking them isn't an option.

Would love to hear from people who have successfully lost weight while on Prozac/Lexapro/etc...

Replies

• B1gH0g
    B1gH0g Posts: 361
    Options
    There is always hope. The question is how bad do you want it, and what are you willing to do about it. I hope you get motivated.
  • Get_Me_Fit1
    Options
    There is always hope. The question is how bad do you want it, and what are you willing to do about it. I hope you get motivated.

THIS
  • joecollins9385
    joecollins9385 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    im on antidepressants and have lost 9lbs in the past 6 weeks. work hard and eat right and you will get results. feel free to add me :)
  • amandamaedchen
    Options
    I just posted a similar thread this morning. I am taking Cymbalta and have been beyond frustrated. I've gained 20lbs in the past three months. I just try to remember that when you're on these things, you're not in control of your metabolism. Consider talking to your doctor/therapist about how frustrated you are with the weight gain. Just continue to work hard to look and feel your best.
    I am also hoping to be able to overcome this.
  • eflint
    eflint Posts: 4
    Options
    Change meds. Welbutrin has a neutral weight effect. Prozac is supposed to help you lose weight. Talk to your doctor and see if switching would be good for you. I was on Lexapro and despite working out 5-6 days a week and never meeting my calorie goal, my scale would not budge. I stopped taking it and switched to another medicine (you should actually taper it off to avoid withdraw symptoms) and have already lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks. Trust your instincts. If you feel that the meds are making you gain weight/ not be able to lose despite your best efforts, you are probably right. There are other choices. Don't give up until you have found a good one for you.
  • jsj024519
    jsj024519 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I wish the best for you! Stay motivated!
  • n25philly
    n25philly Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    When I get depressed I stop being depressed and start being awesome instead. True Story.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm on effexor and risperidone. There is no way I can go off the effexor...I have such horrible withdrawals if I am even just a few hours late taking it. And I've found the the risperidone has worked wonders stabilizing my mood. Downside is that is is compounding my weight loss struggle.
  • JoannaLouden
    JoannaLouden Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just posted a similar thread this morning. I am taking Cymbalta and have been beyond frustrated. I've gained 20lbs in the past three months. I just try to remember that when you're on these things, you're not in control of your metabolism. Consider talking to your doctor/therapist about how frustrated you are with the weight gain. Just continue to work hard to look and feel your best.

When I went on Cymbalta, I gained around 50 pounds in 3 months. It was horrible! It must have screwed with my metabolism because I wasn't suddenly eating more or eating junk, I just gained and gained. Once I got on a diff med the rapid gain stopped but I've not been able to lose those Cymbalta pounds.
  • hersheythecat
    hersheythecat Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Definitely see about possibly changing. With Cymbalta, I lost 20 pounds in a month but had to go off of it because if I was just a couple hours late taking it, i would have a massive headache. Now I'm on Welbutrin (I think) and there is no weight gain from it with me. The weird thing for me is that i've tracked my food on and off of it, and my food doesn't change but if I go off mine, I immediately start gaining weight. My body chemistry has to have the pills and I hate having that dependency on them but really don't want to put on weight being off them.
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options

ME TOO! It's so frustrating! It is comforting knowing that I'm not the only one taking this medication and having the weight gain. Feel free to add me.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. I am on Welbutrin which isn't as bad as most for causing weight gain.
  • JoannaLouden
    Options

THIS

:-) TY. I am working at it. Which is why I'm on MFP. I'm counting calories, eating more fruits and fresh veggies, skipping soda, and getting in more physical activity than before. All the things that should add up to some weight loss. I'll keep going at it and see how it goes.
  • JoannaLouden
    Options
    When I get depressed I stop being depressed and start being awesome instead. True Story.
    lol thanks Neil Patrick Harris.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    That's not how depression works. Nice idea though.
  • gettinsmithy
    Options
    I recommend you talk to the doctor that prescribed the antidepressants. Some have side effect of gaining weight (lexapro, paxil, zoloft) and some have side effect of losing weight, decreasing appetite. (welbutrin) Talk to your doctor. My thoughts are to take care of your mental health - get your mood stabilized - and then you will feel more like exercising and controlling your eating. Figure out "what's eating you" so you can then better control "what you eat".
  • CriosDubh
    CriosDubh Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I had similar issues. Depression causes weight gain, the medicine causes weight gain. My doc switched me to Wellbutrin, and a lot of weight dropped off, as well as the incessant carb cravings. What helped even more was when she decided that maybe depression wasnt my only issue, ran some scales, delved into my personal history, and decided that I probably have co-morbid ADHD. She put me on Adderall along with the Wellbutrin. she also prescribed a minimum of 30 minutes/day of exercise. I know that is something we should all do anyway, but having it on a scrip sheet on my fridge has made a lot of difference in how my family and I view my need for exercise.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    My dr. just switched meds from Prozac to Celexa and eventually adding Wellbutrin. She believes this will help aid my weight loss efforts. Since starting Prozac a year and a half ago, my weight is up 35 pounds. I know lifestyle is partially to blame, but I'm hoping the med change will stabilize the gain and allow me to lose again.
  • smowen76
    Options
    I had to get myself off of those all together for numerous reasons. I switched off the prozac, namely because of the weight gain. (My youngest is six, I couldn't blame it on her anymore)! I went on Welbrutrin which is known for weight loss, however, it can make you agitated and more irritable, but you will be motivated. Since I was so on edge, I got off them with lots of prayer. I am now on a strict calorie counting regimen and working out whenever I can.

Just know you can do this! Don't let those pills run you, run them. Take control of your body and do what you have to do. Those pills are designed to help you as long as they are needed. Now, help your body out and exercise. Eat your proteins in the morning, get that workout in, but have fun with it. Zumba (if you have a Wii, I recommend doing it with the kids, mine love it).

Praying for you!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I'm on Cymbalta and Lamictal and haven't noticed either impacting my weight loss. Only my own actions of in actions.

In fact, Cymbalta is actually known more for causing weight loss, than weight gain. One of the reasons my psych thought it might be a good option for me. That and other stuff just wasn't working well.

If you haven't talked to you doc about the weight issue, do so, they should be willing to work with you on your meds. Either in finding something else that works for you without impact on your weight, or possibly finding a lower dose that balances between your mental and physical health.