antidepressants and weight loss struggle. talk to me.

Options

Replies

• tyrantduck
    tyrantduck Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I'm on 30mg of Prozac currently and while I haven't lost weight, I also haven't gained any. So essentially I'm at a standstill. My doc is hinting towards switching me to another med, can't remember the name...possibly Wayfarin? I also am on 1/2-2mg of Xanax per day as needed. How long have you been on it? I've been on and off anti-depressants since I was 13 and the combo of Paxil and Risperidal made me pack on 60 pounds at that time, in about 3 months. My eating habits hadn't changed and I rode my bike everywhere, but I still packed on weight. Ever since I haven't been able to get rid of any good amount. The 12lb weight loss you see on my ticker below has happened over the course of the last year and a half. I cut nearly 600 cals away from my BMR and have become slightly more active. Now that my meds are successfully treating my depression, I'm finding that I'm motivated to do a lot of things I used to. For example... I just blew $700 on items to redecorate my bathroom and kitchen. I love redecorating and remodeling and moving rooms around. I also want to crochet more and do more crafts like I used to, and I've been dying to get a good bicycle but I'm having a hard time finding one that will hold my weight (I'm at 328lbs) and having it cost less than $350. I miss having a bike and if I had one I'd make the effort to go out and ride to the corner store to get a drink that I want or on a day off from work, ride up to the nearest breakfast place and grab breakfast (though that's about a mile from my house and downhill so until I get stronger, I'd have to take the bus back home, lol). But yeah, Prozac hasn't essentially done anything to hurt my weight loss except make it happen a little bit slower. But I have gained ZERO pounds while on it.
  • JoannaLouden
    JoannaLouden Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Change meds. Welbutrin has a neutral weight effect. Prozac is supposed to help you lose weight. Talk to your doctor and see if switching would be good for you. I was on Lexapro and despite working out 5-6 days a week and never meeting my calorie goal, my scale would not budge. I stopped taking it and switched to another medicine (you should actually taper it off to avoid withdraw symptoms) and have already lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks. Trust your instincts. If you feel that the meds are making you gain weight/ not be able to lose despite your best efforts, you are probably right. There are other choices. Don't give up until you have found a good one for you.

TY for the encouragement and understanding! I'm trying to be sure and log my food and exercise....I'm eating better and getting in more exercise than before so in theory I should lose weight. If I don't, I'll talk to my doctor (due for a visit in October), show him the logs and see if he thinks we should switch meds, try a different diet, etc etc.
  • Dawn793
    Dawn793 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Get off the med's and work out instead. That's what I did. It was really hard the first three months with the withdrawals, but now I'm antidepressent free and rarely get depressed anymore. You need to do what's best for you, but with me I was more depressed being fat and hateing myself because I was so fat.
  • deborah0123
    Options
    I am on wellbutrin and seroquel. I didnt gain on wellbutrin but on the seroquel I did..Seems like I just looked at the bottle and gained. Since being on seroquel I have gained 50 lbs. but no chance of getting off. just have to work harder. I am just going to hang in there and prove to myself. I can do it
  • jharb2
    jharb2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Twice on the last decade I have lost weight on antidepressants. And I too had children.I believe its just the combination of lots of excercise ( which is a natural antidepressant) and calorie counting. Excercise has always been the key for me. A long brisk walk is what I am able to do now d/t arthritis, but it makes me feel good. Makes you more aware of your body and you feel muscles being used. You can overcome the anti-depressant effect I promise!! Keep trying!!!
    :smile:
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I'm quite stuck and wondering whether the anti-depressants are part of the problem. It's a tough call - when I feel better I'm more motivated to look after myself so I actually eat more regularly and better quality. I'm considering changing to Prozac - I have tried it before but it made me very anxious at a time when I was having a lot of panic attacks. I'm not so bad with the anxiety levels now, but I still struggle with low mood. Has anyone tried Prozac and seen any change in weight loss prgress as a result?
  • justaride08
    Options
    I have been on Celexa or Lexapro for the last ten years! I manged to lose 50-60 lbs last year. I gained it back but it wasn't due to the anti-depressants, just due to getting comfortable and then getting lazy! I know you can do it!
  • smowen76
    Options
    I completely agree, being heavy makes the depression so much worse. Losing weight is making me feel so much better about myself, and I am so pleased to be off of them! I am just so happy to be heading in the direction of my goal weight! Good post!
  • amelia_atlantic
    amelia_atlantic Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    When I get depressed I stop being depressed and start being awesome instead. True Story.

Haha, I do love me some HIMYM!

To the OP: talk to your doctor. Feeling hopeless even on anti depressants is never a good thing. It may be time to switch brands. Also, it's hard but FORCE yourself to exercise more. You mental and physical health depend on it.

Good luck, keep fighting. x
  • quickchekgal
    quickchekgal Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing because I was thinking about taking them again. Depression definitely makes it harder to lose weight..I had a bad week last week but trying to get back into the swing of things. Thanks for the post..was definitely curious as to if meds affect weight loss.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    When I went off Remeron, I lost 50 pounds so fast I wondered if I might have cancer or something. Switched to Wellbutrin, not gaining weight from it.

My daughter (when she was about 8 years old) tried Zyprexa and gained 50% of her weight in 6 weeks! Took her years to get back to her normal body type.
  • Asha0714
    Asha0714 Posts: 88
    Options
    There absolutely is hope. My brother, who is MR (higher functioning), takes TONS of medication that make him gain, including anti-depressants. When i started teaching him how to eat healthy, he did not understand the concept of a calorie. A few months later, he's down 12 lbs, and he did it by himself. He WANTED to learn, so he did. I help him with grocery shopping, but he cooks himself. Every day, he walks to the YMCA by himself. He WANTS to lose, so he is. If he can do this, so can you.
  • Gizziemoto
    Gizziemoto Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I have been on medication for 20 years. You can lose weight. Some meds make it harder. The one I am on now makes it very difficult but I did manage to lose 4 sizes (did not own a scale then). I have been bouncing around the same weight for about a year. I added more exercise and my goal is .5lb. My doctor has helped me to realize that even going down .1 on the scale is still down ward movement and be proud of that. Since I added more exercise I have lost 5lbs in 2 months. Which I am very happy with.

If you are feeling hopeless and down, please see your doctor. There are so many options you need to find the right one.

Good luck and hang in there. You can do this.
  • Asha0714
    Asha0714 Posts: 88
    Options
    I have been on medication for 20 years. You can lose weight. Some meds make it harder. The one I am on now makes it very difficult but I did manage to lose 4 sizes (did not own a scale then). I have been bouncing around the same weight for about a year. I added more exercise and my goal is .5lb. My doctor has helped me to realize that even going down .1 on the scale is still down ward movement and be proud of that. Since I added more I have lost 5lbs in 2 months. Which I am very happy with.

If you are feeling hopeless and down, please see your doctor. There are so many options you need to find the right one.

Good luck and hang in there. You can do this.

Seeeee you CAN do this!
  • jmedfoster
    jmedfoster Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I have been on antidepressants for YEARS My dr. is great and when I feel one is not working well with my ENTIRE self, she changes it up for me. I am on a very high dosage of Zoloft and it has made me gain 10lbs this past month. That is why I have joined here to lose weight, with her suggestion. I have no energy still, but by following my calorie counter I have lost 7lbs in 13 days. You can do it, trust me. If I can do that, you can do it too!! I have a very hard time becoming motivated and I have done it thus far. I even made my husband make an account and become my "friend" so he could track my progress too.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Before I started taking welbutrin and lexapro I didn't care if I lived or died. I didn't care if I got out of bed in the morning, how much I did or did not eat. I have been fat most of my life because of depression and an incessant need to fill an endless void inside me with food. Now, I want to live and I care about what I put in my body. That, to me, is well worth gaining a few additional pounds.

By doctor did put me on abilify briefly and after I gained over 30 pounds in what seemed like overnight, I stopped taking it. I still have the weight on me, but I quit gaining. One thing I have learned through both personal experience and much research is that all anti-depressants affect people differently. It may be worth experimenting with yours to find something that works for you and your weight.

I know that my meds make it a little harder for me to lose weight but I also know that without them I probably wouldn't be alive today. If I was, I know I would be significantly larger than I currently am and I'm pushing 600 pounds. When you just don't care, about anything, weight loss seems pointless. I am very glad I don't feel like that anymore. I am on the long road to a healthy, better me I couldn't be more excited about that. You can do it and there are lots of people willing to help.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    I was on risperidone and i gained 30 pounds in a little over a month! I literally did not even know it was possible to put on that much weight so fast. My doctor was shocked. After I gained all that weight i truly HATED my doctor. Why would you give someone who suffers from depression, pills that are FAMOUS for having a weight gain side effect ( i did not know this at the time). I dont think its news that being overweight and depression are linked. He said he would give me an appetite suppressant to help with the weight gain but after spending all my money on the anit dperessant pills i couldnt affort the diet pills. I had never been so bitter in my entire life. I know he had my best interest in mind but there are alot of pills on the market for depression and i cant believe his first pick was one that caused weight gain! I am now on Zoloft 200mg ( prescribed from a different doctor) and have not gained anymore weight and am very slowly losing weight now.
  • jkandktmom
    jkandktmom Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    My doctor just swithched me from Effexor to a new antidepressant called Viibyrd. I can't honestly say that it has made a difference yet but I'm optimistic. When I tlaked to my doctor I showed her my MFP diary so she could see how hard I was trying without results.

My advice is to work with your doctor and discover what will work for you! Good luck!
  • DelilahCat0212
    DelilahCat0212 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    When I get depressed I stop being depressed and start being awesome instead. True Story.

Then you truly weren't depressed.
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I started taking zoloft in 2006 weighed 275lbs. within 5 months I was done to 205. Stopped taking zoloft and started taking geodone because i was maxed on dose and I jumped back to 290 within 3 months. They took me off of that and put me on another that i can't remember the name of and i jumped to 343 which is when I had had enough. I am back on zoloft and I have lost 28lbs.