pepper spray

Options

Replies

• SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I carry bear strength pepper spray because I live in a pretty nature filled area... It's pretty common for me to take my dog for a walk and encounter coyotes taking themselves for walks in the other direction. I also have a bobcat that lives in my backyard. So yeah..necessary

Sadly I have to carry it to work too because I'm more afraid of the people I might encounter outside my building than the wildlife around my house. I work in a reaaaallllly bad area :/
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I carry bear strength pepper spray because I live in a pretty nature filled area... It's pretty common for me to take my dog for a walk and encounter coyotes taking themselves for walks in the other direction. I also have a bobcat that lives in my backyard. So yeah..necessary

Sadly I have to carry it to work too because I'm more afraid of the people I might encounter outside my building than the wildlife around my house. I work in a reaaaallllly bad area :/

Reminds me of a joke I heard when I was a kid:
    The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
    They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
    Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
    It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
    Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Lol love it! I hike a mountain nearby a couple times a year and like 8 out of 10 times there is a baby black bear just chillin on the trail. I'm pretty sure the momma bear puts the baby there as bait to lure in unsuspecting tasty hikers
  • artbkward
    artbkward Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    On my usual path through the neighborhood, I don't carry pepper spray. There is a lot of people around walking dogs, pushing strollers etc so I'm not worried there.

If I venture to an unknown park or path, I do take my pepper spray. While running, I've been bitten by a dog (granted, a Chihuahua) but if a bigger dog/animal would come after me, I would use on them as well as an attacker.

What baffles me is the amount of people that run outside with headphones. How easy it is for someone to come up behind you when you can't hear them?!
  • liss125
    liss125 Posts: 77
    Options
    On my usual path through the neighborhood, I don't carry pepper spray. There is a lot of people around walking dogs, pushing strollers etc so I'm not worried there.

If I venture to an unknown park or path, I do take my pepper spray. While running, I've been bitten by a dog (granted, a Chihuahua) but if a bigger dog/animal would come after me, I would use on them as well as an attacker.

What baffles me is the amount of people that run outside with headphones. How easy it is for someone to come up behind you when you can't hear them?!

Guilty! Music keeps my morale up. I do often think of the dangers. Though I lean on the knowledge that my dog would likely go berserk if anyone approached me; causing a huge scene, hopefully :)
  • moreno89
    moreno89 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I carry dog mace. I wish a mother f*cker would.

hahaha you're cray cray
  • moreno89
    moreno89 Posts: 210 Member
    Options

Reminds me of a joke I heard when I was a kid:
    The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
    They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
    Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
    It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
    Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

lol!
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    If I had to carry, it would be a .357. I think OC a .357
    would keep the crazies away.

.357 beats the hell out of your hands (assuming you're using .357 magnum rounds and not .38 specials). Go with a .45ACP; lower velocity round, nice gentle recoil. :laugh:

Agreed on the kick of a .357. Tough to bring it back down quick enough to get off another round accurately if you need to (for us ladies, that is).

That said, I prefer the simplicity of a revolver for self-defense. Less to malfunction in the heat of the moment.

No, I don't carry pepper-spray. But I always recommend that you carry SOMETHING. Better safe than sorry is my thinking...

The .357 is a revolver, but is heavy as hell. Not
    too bad of a kick because of the weight. Also not
    ideal to go running with, unless you strap a brick
    to the left hand side of your waist to even out the
    weight. Ok, maybe 2 bricks. LOL
    I use the local gym, so I'm not too worried about it.

Yes, I'm aware that a .357 is a revolver... Thus my clarification that even though it kicks I'd still rather carry it (a revolver) than a .45 ACP.

My .357 of choice is a Ruger 4" barrel. Not as heavy as the 6" (which still kicks like a mother, in my opinion) and fits in more places, but has even more of a kick. Just my 2 cents.

We pretty much agree. LOL

Except I like the S&W .357 4" barrel. (CTG. HWY Patrolman)
    The thing is really is easy to shoot with out the big recoil. :wink:
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I absolutely carry it! You never know if a dog, rabid animal, or crazed person comes after you. Better to be safe than sorry.
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I carry a spring assisted knife when i'm off base. Once I leave the gates bam! i'm in a really really bad neighborhood. Mace is great, but you only get one try, and it's not always enough to stop someone.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

To get the best of both worlds, I wear one earphone in, and don't put the other one on. I also leave the sound level low (i.e. I can hear the car approaching sooner than my running partners do, who don't wear headphones. Don't assume that someone with a headphone on can't hear a thing.
  • not2late
    not2late Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    As a Brit reading these comments I really can't imagine what it must be like living somewhere where people are so scared of the streets, parks and countryside that you'd feel the need to carry weapons around all the time. I think I'd end up staying indoors comfort eating ;)
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I don't carry anything when I go out... Because I don't ever go out... Not a safe enough neighborhood... BUT hornet spray I think is a lot cheaper, very effective and has a REALLY good distance. Just a thought.
  • fatty_to_fitty
    fatty_to_fitty Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Nope.

I used to live in London and never carried anything.

I've been mugged and it hasn't changed my mind.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    As a Brit reading these comments I really can't imagine what it must be like living somewhere where people are so scared of the streets, parks and countryside that you'd feel the need to carry weapons around all the time. I think I'd end up staying indoors comfort eating ;)

Depends where you live. I've already been jumped
    once in my life when I was at a stop sign on my
    motorcycle. Something it me in the face, everything
    went black, then I woke up in the ER. They said
    they stole my bike and crashed it a couple of blocks
    away. They did a good job of digging what they think
    was part of a beer bottle out of my throat. I have
    almost no recollection of that night.

Now I'm very cautious of my surroundings, and
    hate big crowds.
  • xxjacqueline
    xxjacqueline Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't carry anything. I'm more worried about the animals, I have seen bears, snakes, wild turkey and deer. I'm mostly scared of the bear though! I should get some bear spray.
  • tabooski
    tabooski Posts: 89
    Options
    I don't carry pepper spray, I am packing 2 guns those. these puppies right here.

/flex
  • myfitnessval
    myfitnessval Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    learning how to look like you could **** someone up with one wrong look is invaluable. lol no one dares mess with me because of THE LOOK. plus i get into the mindset of "i frickin DARE you to mess with me because i've had a crappy day and if you even TRY i will twist each of your balls off and feed them to you!!" before i head out for a risky trip. it keeps me on the defensive and ready for anything.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I carry a .32 caliber pistol.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i do, but only when i am in the city at my sisters place...she lives downtown and it is not the greatest location ever.