help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
Do I need to buy a scale to mesure the food? or mesurements tools?

Replies

• samanthafernandez
    Options
    Hi Scarlette,

I use some small scales which show grams really clearly in small amounts - but I am from the UK. Alot of US recipes seem to measure things in cups?

S
    x
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    You don't NEED to buy a scale but a lot of people on here have mentioned that it helps a LOT. I personally don't use a scale. I bake and cook a lot so I'm fairly good at eyeballing how much 3 oz is vs. 8 oz and things like that. I also try to buy in portions that are already mediated for me so have as little guess work as possible.
  • Ang8178
    Ang8178 Posts: 308
    Options
    I was having this issue with meat, and I plan on getting a scale on payday :smile: A member on MFP gave me the info below and it's helping for now. Thought I'd pass it on. Scales range from $20-$30 from what I've seen.

The look of normal portion sizes:

1 oz. meat: size of a matchbox
    3 oz. meat: size of a deck of cards or bar of soap—the recommended portion for a meal
    8 oz. meat: size of a thin paperback book
    3 oz. fish: size of a checkbook
    1 oz. cheese: size of 4 dice
    Medium potato: size of a computer mouse
    2 Tbs. peanut butter: size of a ping pong ball
    1/2 cup pasta: size of a tennis ball
    Average bagel: size of a hockey puck.

The list below explains the size, shape, and/or look of one serving.

medium apple or orange: the size of a tennis ball
    1 cup chopped raw vegetables or fruit: baseball size
    1/4 cup dried fruit (raisins, apricots, mango): a small handful
    lunch-box size container of unsweetened applesauce
    cup of lettuce: four leaves
    chicken stir-fry with 1 cup of mixed broccoli, carrots, and mushrooms (= 2 vegetable servings)
    1/2 cup cooked or canned legumes (beans and peas)
    5-6 baby carrots

From the American Cancer Society Website
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to have a scale. Also, you can go to Prevention.com and take the portion control pop quiz then print out the portion control cheat sheet. This teaches you portion control and shows visual aides to know what portion sizes look like. It's a great way to know how much you're eating. Good luck!
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    I always have a scale and a 1 cup measuring cup handy. The scale only cost $20.00 so it was a good investment.