PCOS and weight loss success

Options
Hey guys, I have recently been diagnosed with PCOS

PCOS is a hormone imbalance which makes losing weight difficult, (sorry boys) periods irregular, and it will also be difficult for me to have kids in the future. It has disheartened me but at lest I now know why weight loss is so difficult for me.

I would love to know if there are any women on here who have PCOS and have had successful weight loss. Any ladies who've lost 50lbs or more? really need some motivation xxx

Replies

• paradigmsubversion
    paradigmsubversion Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Not 50 pounds or more, but I've only been trying since the beginning of the year, and I've lost about 15 lbs. PCOS makes it tough- I try to remember that weight loss will just be harder for me than it is for most people on MFP, and ANY progress is something to be proud of, non-scale victories and all!

You can do it- it just requires an everyday effort and a lot of patience. Good for you for working toward being healthier :)
  • Summerjule
    Summerjule Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    PCOS is so difficult - the battle of losing weight, the changes your body goes through from the hormone inbalance and dealing with the possibility of infertility. I found that following the glycemic index guide helped with weight loss along with exercise. Focus on eating foods that have a glycemic number at 55 or lower. You can google glycemic index and get websites that calculate the number for all foods. Breads and other carbs usually get dropped out the door first. There also books on PCOS that can be purchased on line which suggest foods to eat to manage weight. Hope this helps hun =) God bless!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS. I didn't have 50 pounds to lose but I lost about 20 pounds in 20 months. It is hard but so worth it. I feel better all around when I am at a heathy weight.
    I am now doing strength training and the extra testosterone is a nice for that lol.
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have PCOS and I'm just reaching the 50lbs loss now, currently around 46lbs.
  • Sugarhoneyicedtea
    Options
    PCOS here, and boys can get Metabolic Syndrome from their moms with PCOS. Or other issues. It's genetic and all that. My father has Metabolic Syndrome and my mother had PCOS. Wohoo! Double whammy.

5'0", trying to get to 125, currently at 179. Heaviest was 216.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    No PCOS, but I do have a tendency towards Insulin Resistance ( which tends to go hand in hand with PCOS).

What worked for me was cutting my carbs down to about 50% of the *normal* daily amount. For me that means ~100g net per day (total carbs minus fiber) and making sure I exercise 3-4x per week.

Before I cut carbs I had to exercise 90 minutes 3-4x a week to lose 7lbs in 3 months. I cut carbs, cut my exercise down to 60 minutes 3-4x a week and I have lost 19-20lbs in 14 weeks.
  • Doozer1978
    Doozer1978 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I have PCOS and many of the side effects that go with it.
    Originally the doctor out me on Dianette and losing weight was hard but not impossible. I was a happy size 14. However me and the hubby have decided we want to try for a baby so I am now contraceptive pill free. Only problem is - when I came off it I gained a ridiculous amount of weight!
    I am seeing a dietician and have been told 1500 calories a day - 6 part carb, 6 part fruit/veg, 3 part dairy, 2 part protein, 2 part fat and 200 cals is the way forward. I am chugging along slowly but nicely at the same time.
    Exercise is the key and drinking lots of water as my water retention is awful!!!!!!
    Feel free to add me and we can do this together.......

I have about 90 lbs to lose in total.

Good luck!

Xx
  • katipowers
    katipowers Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    PCOS can be tough, but please let me offer you some encouragement! I recently had my first baby after battling PCOS most of my life. Throughout my pregnancy, I lost weight and am healthier now than I was when I got pregnant.

PCOS causes insulin resistance, which means that your body doesn't use insulin efficiently, hence the weight issues. As hard as it can be, the most effective way for me to shed lbs was to shed carbs. Not all carbs, but the bad ones. It's a tough journey, but keep at it. You can do this!

You can also talk to your doctor about taking metformin for PCOS. It really helped me, but it can make some people sick to their stomach. Always worth the question...
  • fififox
    fififox Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Hi. I have PCOS too. I believe that a GI based diet is a good way to success with PCOS. I have lost weight twice before using it and both times lost about 28-35lbs. Both times was becaue I desperately wanted to get pregnant and I got pregnant twice when I hit the 140lb mark (I did need fertility treatment. I have been here on mfp for about 10 months - stuck on a plateau since April. This week I deided to go back to GI - I lost about 26lb between September and April and then the loss stopped. I am hoping that GI will kick start it again now. I read lately that Chromium and magnesium are good supplements - one helps to balance hormones and the other to balance the blood sugars I think. I very definitely experience a real improvement in symptoms when I am eating GI. My mood, my energy levels, etc. I have been doing it for about a week and already feel so much better. I would recommend that. It is not a faddy diet, but a very healthy way of eating. Nothing is banned - you just eat the less good foods in moderation if you want to eat them. I think it is good psychologically to feel that you are very pro-actively trying to take charge of this health issue. I am too old now to try to have more children but I need to do this for my future health to avoid the health risks it brings. Best of luck. I hope that you have success on your journey.
  • Halleeon
    Halleeon Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, add me!

+ bump for later.
  • fighterdiva
    fighterdiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I am so happy to have found you all! I was diagnosed with PCOS in December, and am on an abnormally high dose of hormones, after having been on a super high dose of steroids (I also have a tumor, and was diagnosed with endometrial cancer so I am on the hormone therapy). No one I know seems to know what PCOS is or understands the way it affects the body, so it feels good to see others and see their successes.
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 19. I was overweight from 19-25 (I did take fertility drugs during that time and I PACKED weight on fast!) I had my kids during that time. I always assumed I could blame PCOS for being overweight but when I was 26, I got sick of it and right after I had my daughter I lost it all, went from a size 18 down to a 4. I did gain a little bit back over the next 5 years (was an 8/10 last year but was also hitting happy hour a little too much) but lost that again and am now back in 4/6. So it's stayed mostly off for the last 6 years (I am 32 now.) You can definitely do it and another thing I notice is I have no PCOS symptoms if I stay under a specific weight. I don't eat meat or dairy (I did when I was overweight though) so I still eat a lot of "carbs" from fruits, veggies, quinoa, etc (but I do no sugar, no white flour, etc.) Alcohol makes me pack it on crazy fast. If I have a drink or two, the next day the scale will be up 1-2 pounds even if I am within my calories and then I have to bust my butt all week to get it back down to what it was. I think that is because alcohol is basically sugar. When I was I TTC, my cycles were crazy, MAYBE 4 a year. With my weight down, I am 29-30 days like "normal" people. I bet if I tried to get pregnant now, it would be a LOT easier (took years and multiple m/c to get my 2 kids) but NO THANK YOU, we are done! Hahaha! My husband has a vasectomy so I don't have to take anything hormonal. I am not messing with that again.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have lost over 180 pounds - so yes it is doable. I did it by calorie counting, exercising 4-5 times a week and also i watch my carbs at my night time meal. BTW It took me 6 years and still have 20 pounds to go...so its a slow process but doable :)
  • santi251
    santi251 Posts: 47
    Options
    I guys. I have PCOS! I have heard that it makes weight loss much harder. As of yet, I have not had any trouble but we'll see as the process goes along! Good luck to you all in your healthy lives!
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Yup 82lns as of last week (in just over a year) It's doable. I don't watch carbs (usually around 200g a day!) but aim for low GI which has worked. I also take Metformin sporadically.

Infertility is definitely a higher possibility with PCOS but is not a sure thing. There are more ladies with children that have PCOS that don't. Keep thinking positive.
  • Lynxie83
    Lynxie83 Posts: 246
    Options
    Suspected PCOS sufferer here... still considering getting a second opinion.

I started taking Metformin about 12 months ago, but I stopped taking it after about 4 months.

I'm successfully down 14kg (31 pounds), the goal is 40kg (88 pounds). I try to limit my carbs, but I love them too much! :love: It can be done, we just have to work harder for it. I think it means we appreciate it more when we get there!

Feel free to FR me if you'd like. I'm on here every day.
  • jen350z
    jen350z Posts: 48
    Options
    I am 23 5'4 227lbs. Have been diagnosed with PCOS about a year ago. I have always been bigger then what I should be and I have always struggled with weight. I have just started tracking calories and using this site as of Friday. My husband and I have been trying to have a baby for 2 years now. I really want to lose some weight and help with my PCOS to get pregnant. For anybody going through the same thing.. I would love support and motivation and I will share everything Im doing and try to help others.
  • tas3980
    tas3980 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

There is a great supportive group on here called, P.C.O.SIS. I have been a member of the the PCOS sisterhood for around a decade and boy, I know it is darn tough on us! I also have endometriosis.

I too have always been 'extra cuddly' and struggled with losing weight... I went through a year of TTC with my ex-SO but to no avail... I see it as a god send because we are no longer together. I moved to a country away from my home country to concentrate on myself for a while (which has almost been five years, whoops!, hahaha). I've yo-yo'ed heaps but now I am concentrating on a better lifestyle as opposed to just losing weight.

I met with my gyno for a general check up this week and she said some pretty positive general things I thought I would share: losing weight is hard and having pcos sucks but continue on your journey to a healthier you because what would suck even more is getting something like diabetes before your 40 (I'm almost 32), your on the right track! More than half the woman in this city have PCOS so don't think your alone, and they have babies. Even woman without PCOS need assistance sometimes to fall pregnant. Continue on this right track and your cycles should definitely become more regular.

*hugs* to all our PCOS Sisters!! :flowerforyou:
  • HeidiSmith419
    HeidiSmith419 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Me! :) get an A1C done now and see if you have developed any insulin resistance. Being on medication like Metformin (and many others) can help with weight loss. Some Drs are prescribing it w/o any signs of current insulin resistance for those with PCOS because that is a common side effect that WILL develop in most patients. Stay on top of the A1C testing. Very important you catch it early before you get type 2.
  • sweetpii
    Options
    I have had PCOS for, probably my whole life, but with symptoms for more than 25 years. I take metformin and although it does not help me lose weight, it does keep me regular if I eat right and exercise. I have lost about 30 pounds and am 20 lbs from my goal weight (in the middle of normal weight) for my height. Anyways, I have hit a plateau for the past 3 weeks. I exercise 2-3 hrs, 5 times a week. I run 4 miles and lift weights one day and then swim 2 miles and bike 1-2hrs the next day. This alternates during the work week every day. On the weekend I try to bike 30-40 miles on Sunday. I never go over my calorie goal and most days don't come near it because its too much for me too eat. I am eating healthfully, with very little sugar. Am I just gaining muscle as I lose fat? I feel like my body is slimmer, but the scale doesn't say the same. Am I busting my butt for nothing? Or will this pass? I am trying to use the free time I have over the summer to get close to my goal weight. Have you experienced this while exercising AND not cheating at all with your diet? Is this normal for PCOS? I'd appreciate your help and I don't know where else to post this. Thanks.