Alcohol & Weight?

Options
Jesus, 1 Mike's Hard Lemonade is 200 calories. After four of them it adds up to more than half my daily goal.
Does it end up really affecting your weight? will it affect my weightloss if i drink 2-3 times a week of significant alcohol?

I know a calorie is a calorie, but some liquors go right through you. Idk maaan. :P I just wanna have fun, but I don't wanna get fat because of it! And I'll never ever understand those people that drink ALL the time, and stay super thin. o.O

Replies

• TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    bump b/c I would like to know the answer to this too.
  • Uuuhlexis
    Uuuhlexis Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Unless you drink until you puke every night, it counts. I gained 50lbs drinking like a college student (cause I am) 3-4 times a week. Stick to clear liquor and diet soda if you can!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Don't fool yourself, it counts! Unfortunately moderation applies to alcohol too:drinker:
  • deadbambi
    deadbambi Posts: 368
    Options
    Unless you drink until you puke every night, it counts. I gained 50lbs drinking like a college student (cause I am) 3-4 times a week. Stick to clear liquor and diet soda if you can!

ugh, too bad i can't STAND clear liquor. :P I'd rather come home from work and have a few mikes than anything. spose i'll just have to work out extra and eat very little on the days i want to drink :P
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Maybe add an extra workout? Cut out a snack or a sweet somewhere to get the extra calories? Or just stick with one or two.

I only drink when camping and even then I won't have more than 2 of anything.
  • Uuuhlexis
    Options

ugh, too bad i can't STAND clear liquor. :P I'd rather come home from work and have a few mikes than anything. spose i'll just have to work out extra and eat very little on the days i want to drink :P

I'm not a fan of liquor myself. I'd prefer to down a whole bottle of wine 4x a week. But if I want to lose weight that's a no go :(
  • deadbambi
    deadbambi Posts: 368
    Options

I'm not a fan of liquor myself. I'd prefer to down a whole bottle of wine 4x a week. But if I want to lose weight that's a no go :(

I can't even do wine! lol, I'm not a fan of liquor unless it's sweet, full of sugar, and the taste of it is masked. Which sucks. because those are the 200+ calorie drinks. :P
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I switched from Mikes to liquor and diet soda a long while back. Most are about 60 calories an ounce and you can drink a pint for less calories then a 6 pack of Mikes.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    If I drink even one night a week, I gain. One shot of jager is 103 calories and I can never have just one.
  • m0mofw4r
    m0mofw4r Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Yup, I do vodka and diet cherry 7up. So we're just going to have to consider them extra calories and work em off. Lame. Even those super light beers add up after a while :(
  • dmg4867
    dmg4867 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Alcohol, especially the super sweetened kind, beers, etc. can really ruin your fat loss goals.

If you want to keep your calories down, try drinking straight liquor (on the rocks, shots, whatever), or mixing with diet soda.
    Just don't go too crazy! Check the calorie content of various liquors on MFP.

Alternatively, you can drink whatever you want and just run 10 miles a day to make up for it - lol.
  • DaveyGravy
    DaveyGravy Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Someone once said to me..."you never see a fat alcoholic, do you?"

Lol, the dude had a point!
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    If you want to keep your calories down, try drinking straight liquor (on the rocks, shots, whatever), or mixing with diet soda.
    Just don't go too crazy! Check the calorie content of various liquors on MFP.

One of my friends grandfather's makes a wicked good orange creamsicle with diet orange soda and vanilla vodka!
  • ninakir88
    ninakir88 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Someone once said to me..."you never see a fat alcoholic, do you?"

Lol, the dude had a point!

I do all the time, lol.

When I am out I'm usually do a vodka tonic with lime juice, bacardi with diet, or a standard light beer. I noticed the more simple the drink is, the less calories it will have. Moderation.
  • katm427
    katm427 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    You could try cutting your drinking nights down to one night a week. Especially as a college student, it's fun to go out and not pay attention to exactly what you're putting in your body. Work out extra, and don't slack off on food or exercise the following day because you're hungover. My one friend, who has lost over eighty pounds, tries to burn off 1,000 calories on the day after drinking - split up throughout the day, of course. It helps offset the immediate damage that may occur.

Don't have a cheat meal that week, either, if you're into that sort of thing.
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    YES alcohol counts! If anything, it leads to worse decision making later (i.e. oh look there's a food truck outside, let's get pizza/gyros/takeout/etc.)
    I started limiting my alcohol consumption when I realized it was doing most of the damage to my calorie intake. I now limit my drinks and have either corona light (99 cal) or grey goose with soda water and two limes/lemon wedges (70 cal) when I go out. It works.
  • Uuuhlexis
    Options

I can't even do wine! lol, I'm not a fan of liquor unless it's sweet, full of sugar, and the taste of it is masked. Which sucks. because those are the 200+ calorie drinks. :P

Try vodka, diet sprite and lime juice..and make sure it's full of ice!

Anyone know how many calories are in a kamikaze?
  • thewang
    thewang Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Try flavored vodka and diet 7 then... I personally hate fruity booze. I stick to vodka and diet 7 if I decide to drink, maybe some red wine. I've had to really limit my favorite which is dark beer.
  • ittybittypixie
    Options
    I love to drink Mikes too! There are some "Mikes Super Hard" lemonades you can get in a tall-boy can.... one of those gets me pretty messed up (I usually have 3-4 12 oz regular ones). They are still bad for you, but there is more booze so you can drink a little less of the sugary drink part... You can also get crystal light drink mix powder that is lemonade flavored and mix it with vodka, it doesn't taste quite the same but it is pretty good!
  • Uuuhlexis
    Options
    YES alcohol counts! If anything, it leads to worse decision making later (i.e. oh look there's a food truck outside, let's get pizza/gyros/takeout/etc.)

haha yesss! I did that the other night, I was like "cheese sammach? YES PLEASE" I get really bad drunchies. Plus when I'm hung over I feel like my stomach is a black hole that can only be filled with junk food.
    Needless to say, I'm DDing tonight.