Ideas for healthy breakfast and Snacks for kindergarten!

Options
My daughter is in kindergarten this year, so she has to walk to breakfast by herself. She does plan on eating breakfast at school most days, but I need some ideas for quick and healthy ideas that we could probably take in the car... She doesn't have any allergies and will eat most foods, so anything will be great!

Snack ideas would be great too! I'm responsible for bringing snack for the whole class once a month, but I don't want it to be cookies or cupcakes, I'd like it to be somewhat healthy, while still fun! They do have to be nut free though, the school is nut free.

Replies

• JillBL
    JillBL Posts: 3
    Options
    What about chopped up fruit and a piece of bread with PB. You can make that up the night before and just bring it in the car. Oh what about a smoothie?

As for snacks for the class what about little fruit Kabobs. Kids seem to like things when it's presented in a fun way. You could even dip one piece or fruit in chocolate.
    What about a trail mix (without the nuts if your school is nut free) with cheerios, raisins, low sodium pretzels etc.
    Low sugar oatmeal cookies
    Pickles, cheese and crackers, I know sounds gross but what kid doesn't love a pickle.
    yogurt pops. Freeze yogurt with a bit of fruit in it.

Hmm I can't think of anything else at the moment.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    check pinterest. I have seen this cool thing where you put fruit ( such as grapes) on one side of a snack bag, and something like goldfish crackers on the other side...you clip the middle with a clothespin that you have drawn a face on--it ends up looking like a butterfly!
  • lbunger
    lbunger Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Last year I did snacks for preschool. I soaked apple slices in ginger ale and then packaged them and served them with low fat caramel dip. It was a hit! Grapes and string cheese are also a favorite!
  • danifo0811
    danifo0811 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    muffins (banana, pumpkin, oatmeal)
    yogurt, some kids like the tubes
    hard boiled eggs
    cut up fruit or vegetables
    pita bread and hummus
    dry cereal and dried fruits
    tortilla shells with cream cheese
    tortilla chips with salsa
    cheese and crackers
    granola bars (there are some healthier home made ones)
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    For my preschooler, I bake healthy muffins for her to eat in the car. She also thinks it's fun to have a little bag of unsweetened cereal. She also likes just a peanut butter sandwich on whole wheat bread. We also do while grain english muffins or those skinny little bagels with something on top (that can get messy though). When I used to bring snacks, I just brought a couple bunches of bananas or a bag of apples. Those were a lot cheaper and healthier than other options.
  • paulsmisses
    Options
    my boys used to eat breakfast on way to nursery in the car and had a smoothie (premade in a carton) toast cut into triangles in a tubberware dish and a fruit back (premade in pack). kept them happy x
  • mrsvanderpool
    mrsvanderpool Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the great ideas!
  • mrsvanderpool
    Options
    check pinterest. I have seen this cool thing where you put fruit ( such as grapes) on one side of a snack bag, and something like goldfish crackers on the other side...you clip the middle with a clothespin that you have drawn a face on--it ends up looking like a butterfly!

I saw that! I will probably do that!
  • mrsvanderpool
    Options
    What about chopped up fruit and a piece of bread with PB. You can make that up the night before and just bring it in the car. Oh what about a smoothie?

As for snacks for the class what about little fruit Kabobs. Kids seem to like things when it's presented in a fun way. You could even dip one piece or fruit in chocolate.
    What about a trail mix (without the nuts if your school is nut free) with cheerios, raisins, low sodium pretzels etc.
    Low sugar oatmeal cookies
    Pickles, cheese and crackers, I know sounds gross but what kid doesn't love a pickle.
    yogurt pops. Freeze yogurt with a bit of fruit in it.

Hmm I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Thanks!
  • foranagirl
    foranagirl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bumping for great ideas

(son start kindergarten this year)