OT about having children

Options
So i am 2 kids .. one will be 3 next month the other 1 in january.. my husband wants to have another baby which i do to BUT im not sure i can do that to my body again .. UGH .. im so torn . when i got pregnant with my first i let myself go and i am scared that will happen again ..

how can i stay healthy and not indulge in pregnancy cravings ? any advice would be heavenly... we want to start trying in march BTW !!

Replies

• woo1324
    woo1324 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    well during my last pregnancy i actually lost weight and the reason was because i really was focused on provideing good nutrition for my baby i cut out coffee ate way more fruit only the ones that were in season because they are always so much sweeter so satisfy any sweet cravings ,,,

i drank tons of water added milk and juice to that as well for extra vitamins i always took my pregnancy sups which actually suppressed my appetite a bit and i think helped stoped cravings for bad foods I made sure to always get oout and enjoy the sun and i think most importantly i let myself indulge on my cravings every now and then which stoped me from becoming insane/miserable and kept me on track for the rest of the time

doing this i actually lost 12kg which the doctor said was fine and had a very happy healthy girl ,,,,,, but unfortunatly i gained all the weight back and more in the months after birth still though i believe in pregnancy you can stay at a healthy weight or atleast not gain very much in terms of fat depending on your starting weight and health ,,,,,,,,,,,, also i wouldnt recommend trying to lose weight during pregnancy unless your alreayd really large like me to begin with and you are still taking in your required cals//nutrition ,,,,,,,,,, and most importantly talk to your doctor even if you go see him before you start trying and discuss ways you can minimise your weight gain during pregnancy :) hope some of that helped lol or atleast made sense im a bit tired
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    I have an almost-4-year-old and an 18 month old. I plan to have a third baby within the next year or two. I'm slightly terrified of going through all the physical changes again, but that's actually a big part of my motivation to lose weight and get healthier right now. When I started tracking my calories I was 35 lbs heavier than the day I got married and 28 lbs heavier than when I got pregnant with my first child. I figured if I kept making excuses that I couldn't do it b/c I have 2 kids to take care of, I'd NEVER get the confidence to do it w/ 3. So I started now and so far I'm doing really well - I've lost 19 lbs so far, I'm 9 lbs away from my pre-baby-#1 weight and 14 lbs away from my wedding day weight. I want to lose at least that next 9 lbs before trying to conceive again. And I've been thinking a lot about what to do while I'm pregnant to keep from losing control. First off, I'm going to stay active here on MFP. There are groups of pregnant women that encourage each other and try to help each other stay on track. A few days ago I saw where someone posted a link to a calculator that takes your BMR info and then tells you how many calories you should be eating during each trimester for the recommended pregnancy weight gain (just a little bit extra in the first, a little more in the second, and the most extra in the third trimester) - when the time comes I plan to stick very close to those numbers - I will set my limits manually here on MFP so it's easier to track. You can set MFP to tell you how much to eat to gain 1/2 lb per week, but I think I'll set my own calorie limits based on that calculator that was posted b/c it makes sense that you'd need more in the third trimester than in the first. And of course when I exercise, I'll eat more. As far as cravings are concerned, I'm going to do my best to keep healthy, nutritious snacks around the house (fresh fruits and veggies, yogurt, etc) and continue making the majority of my meals at home. Yes I got cravings a lot when I was preggo but I would much rather eat something that's conveniently already in the fridge or cabinet than have to lug my pregnant butt to the car to hit a drivethru, so I'm going to keep lots of 'good stuff' in the house so I know I can stay home and have a good snack. Basically, I'm going to approach pregnancy a lot like I'm approaching weightloss, just with a slightly higher calorie goal. Why change something when you already know it works?
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I couldn't keep anything down for the first 5 months. It wasn't really the weight gain during my pregancy that got me, it was all the weight I gained in the months after the baby was born - and I was even breast feeding.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Adopt.
  • baybeecakes08
    Options
    Thanks for the info .. I'll definatly search for that Calculator .. I'm 20 pounds away from Pre pregnancy weight and id like to get here before we start trying but I'm definately going to take your guyss advice and try to avoid those Nasty cravings as much as I can when we finally do get pregnan !!
  • Spazbme
    Spazbme Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm 15 weeks into my first pregnancy, does anyone have that calculator for calories? I'm just using my original plan in MFP but going over by about 400-600 calories a day based on what my MD told me. He just was randomly guessing though based on my pre-pregnancy weight and height so I'm not sure it's right. I feel like 1800 calories is too much for me at 150lbs (5'4"), although I've been used to 1200 calories a day while on my weight-loss quest before. The MFP FAQs state that if I change my profile calorie needs, it will adjust everything that I've entered since I started in January 2012. I don't want to lose that archived progress because I want to start back up again post-birth.

I guess my other question would be, how do I determine my caloric intake if I were NOT pregnant? Seems like a simple answer but when I went to the (US Gov) website for help, it just told me I'm borderline obese and need to cut down on calories. Since I'm pregnant, I need to MAINTAIN and remain healthy (consuming enough calories) for our little fetus. Any suggestions?