2lbs gained in 1 day?!!

Options
I had a bit of a blow out yesterday but didnt go too overboard. Getting on the scales this morning I'm 2lbs heavier and rather peed off lol

Ive had a good day though so onwards and upwards (or should that be down wards lol)

This happen to others?

xx Vicky xx

Replies

• pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Yes, it was always water weight.
  • emilyds
    emilyds Posts: 88
    Options
    It does, but body weight can fluctuate over the course of a day, which is why it's better to weigh once or twice a week, at the same time of day.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    If you consumed 7000 calories over your TDEE then it was, indeed, quite a day. I'd wager your "blow out" consisted of a fair amount of sodium and/or alcohol and you are holding more water than typical.
  • VickyClare75
    Options
    It was the munchies as I rarely drink alcohol now. I will weigh in the morning. Fingers crossed. I'm also drinking my 8 glasses of water now so hope that will help too

Thanks for all your replies xx
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    The munchies are pretty high in sodium. Drink a bunch of water, wait a few days, try again. Likely, it will all have disappeared. :)
  • Zkinkel
    Zkinkel Posts: 13
    Options
    Water weight and just having more food in your system has a lot to do with it! So don't freak... eat lower salt stuff today with tons of water.... Just remember a pound of fat is 3500 calories... on or off....
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    H2O.....watch your salts.....
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Your weight will fluctuate daily - I'd recommend only weighing yourself once a week. Be consistent about time and conditions - say first thing in the morning, no clothes ...
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Now that I have a scale again....I stepped on it the other morning....took a shower....stepped on it again and it read a 2.4 lb gain. Lol!

Never trust a scale, they're evil. This is why I threw out the last one.
  • VickyClare75
    Options
    I'm sure we'll lose it again hollirae (& much more). Just going to drink a gallon of h20 :laugh:
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Give it more than a day to fix it's self.
  • VickyClare75
    Options
    The last set of scales I had I knackered them, I got so fed up with em that I threw em across the room. Not the best thing to do I know :explode:

Its a pain isnt it captain arghhhh.And I agree, scales are evil :grumble:

xx Vicky xx
  • VickyClare75
    Options
    Yeah Vince, I think I will make myself wait a week before I weigh myself again. Give myself time and hopefully I'll see some results. just going to concentrate on my food intake for now

xx Vicky xx
  • CM9178
    CM9178 Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Your weight can vay greatly day to day, and at different times of the day. For example, I weighed myself last night before bed, and I was up 6 pounds. I weighed myself this morning, and I was back down to normal. It depends what you ate and drink beforehand, etc.

You cannot assume you have gained 2 pounds just because you weighed yourself at one time and your weight was up. You need to weigh yourself ONCE per week at the same time of the day every time. That way, you have a baseline to go by.
    If you weigh yourself multiple times per day, or multiple times per week, you will drive yourself crazy and throw out your scale. Your scale can be your friend (most of the time), if you do it properly.
  • VickyClare75
    Options
    Thanks Cindy, will wait the week :)
  • MizCJ84
    MizCJ84 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Yes, this is VERY common. It's water weight. It's completely impossible for it to be actual fat. I would recommend not weighing yourself the day after you eat so much because it can be really detrimental to your motivation level to see weight fluctuations constantly.
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Yeppers, happens to me all the time. I'll be under calories but will have overindulged in booze or salty foods and bamm.. I was down to 200 Saturday, 204 this morning :cry:
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    how do you know it's water weight????
  • siriusalien
    Options
    Leska, Truth is I don't... But that's what everyone tells me. It seems reasonable that the body couldn't convert calories to fat so quickly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Amateur. A good blow out day I gain 4-5lbs.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition