Tattoos anyone?

Options

Replies

• smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I have 2, in locations that can be covered up if I choose too. Someday I will have more :)
    Things have come a long way and I think it is becoming more accepted. Though there are still locations that frown upon it. Some places here require that you either cover them up with medical tape/bandaids (piercings) or remove them for work.
    I used to have a nose piercing, my employer at the time stated it had to be removed for safety purposes.....yet earings were fine?
    I also worked with a man who had full sleeves on both arms and was required to wear the long sleeved shirt at all times.
    Times need to change a bit faster in our neck of the woods lol
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Ahhhhhhh the good old "Does anyone have tattoos or piercings?" thread. Ol' reliable.
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    The person to which pays me makes the rules. And if I want their money, I follow their rules.

I'm at work to represent a company, and many do not like tats and piercings showing. No harm, no foul. I keep mine covered. I have plenty of time on my own where I can express myself in whatever way I please.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Do they hurt?
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    Do they hurt?

Of course not buddy. I understand that you were roofied during yours but I SAID I WAS SORRY FOR THAT!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • wheresheidi
    Options
    I work at a bank and my manager will allow me to show my wrist tattoo's. But the one right above my right breast has to be hidden. And all it is, is a Phoenix rising from flames sayings Strength in Gaelic. And when a part of the wing is showing all my customers ask about it and love it. And I work in a retirement community where 95% of my customers are retired.

I think all companies need to relax about tattoo's. They are so common these days. I personally have six and I do not like having to hide them. Specially my Phoenix when it is meant for surviving cervix cancer.

Awesome! I'd love to see that. My Mom's is a breast cancer survivor (she'd never get a tattoo though) I have 2 hidden from normal view but times have changed & I don't think people should have to hide them or their ear piercings when working with the public. It's not your look that makes you a professional, it's your behavior. I've been in customer service for 25 years.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Do they hurt?

Of course not buddy. I understand that you were roofied during yours but I SAID I WAS SORRY FOR THAT!!!!! :bigsmile:

Now I'm getting one that says "Exit Only"!
  • Antonio_1
    Options
    I have a few--be proud of your ink!
  • Here2GetFit
    Options

I would go to a doctor (of course, qualified) that had tattoos

I am in favor of self expression, but my answer to the OP's question is "it depends." Am I comfortable with professionals I encounter having tattoos? It depends on the profession and the tattoos they have showing.

If I go to see a surgeon and he walks in with this tat on his arm, NO I am not ok with it.

grim-reaper-tattoo-l-tattoo-img17.jpg
  • Erica002
    Erica002 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I think if you're doing the job right and the tattoo isn't something offensive, then it should be allowed to be shown.
  • nbhobbes
    nbhobbes Posts: 284
    Options
    I have three tats that I can cover up by wearing a long sleeve shirt if necessary. Fortunately the company I work for doesn't require it.

Personally I'm all for having any sort of ink or body art to be showing at the work place. But I also realize that some people will view having tats as unprofessional. So when I go for a job interview I make sure to wear long sleeve shirts..

After they hire me I'll wear something where the tats on the forearms can be seen.. Some HR departments think having long hair on a guy is unprofessional. No need to let them know about the tats until after I got the job. :)
  • staceyanne1
    Options
    I have 16 tattoos and snake bites . I applied for a certain job years ago , and went in with my piercings in and a 3/4 top on (I have wrist tattoos)
    I didn't get the job , even though I out qualified everyone else there . About a year later , they were recruiting again , so I went in with no piercings & tattoos on show . I got the job .
    I don't think it should matter , but it does.
    Saying all that , my midwife had a full arm sleeve .
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Off topic with being professional or not, but check this out.................

WTF?!?!?!?!

http://www.uproxx.com/webculture/2012/08/a-nice-lady-from-florida-got-a-tattoo-on-her-*kitten*-over-the-weekend/
  • Irishmoonwitch
    Options
    I work at a bank and my manager will allow me to show my wrist tattoo's. But the one right above my right breast has to be hidden. And all it is, is a Phoenix rising from flames sayings Strength in Gaelic. And when a part of the wing is showing all my customers ask about it and love it. And I work in a retirement community where 95% of my customers are retired.

I think all companies need to relax about tattoo's. They are so common these days. I personally have six and I do not like having to hide them. Specially my Phoenix when it is meant for surviving cervix cancer.

Awesome! I'd love to see that. My Mom's is a breast cancer survivor (she'd never get a tattoo though) I have 2 hidden from normal view but times have changed & I don't think people should have to hide them or their ear piercings when working with the public. It's not your look that makes you a professional, it's your behavior. I've been in customer service for 25 years.

I put it as my picture.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    people would be surprised to find that some of the most professional people out there are hiding tatoos under their clothes. I don't have any, and I do think some discretion should be used on parts of the body that aren't gonna be covered by your clothes, but as long as it's not something offensive, it should be okay.
    the rule at my work used to be that they only had to be covered if they were offensive (I work in a Nursing Home) but there was a dispute over whether someone's tattoo was offensive (an angel with her mothers name and birth/death dates - so offensive, right!?) and they decided that it was too difficult to say what might be considered offensive, so they have to be covered, period. funny thing is, most of our male residents and even some female have tattoos and ask to see new tattoos when they hear someone has gotten one, it's not the residents who are offended, so what does it matter?
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    Options
    Do they hurt?

Now I'm getting one that says "Exit Only"!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
  • crawpapa
    crawpapa Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Got one, want more, and I work for a lot of high ranking military officials, but I'm not military and don't wear a uniform. But I find it sort of awesome when I see a chick with one that is normally covered under a shirt or whatever.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple more of mine...........

MyLeoTattoo.jpg

StomachTattoo.jpg
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Options
    :love: tattoo threads are awesome
  • Julz2586
    Julz2586 Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    didn't read all the comments... but

I have 6 tattoos.... I love seeing people with tattoos in a work place... love being served my coffee but someone with an awesome sleeve!
    I think places need to relax and let these things slide, they do not make the person! i mean yes if you have a swear word in plain sight then yeah but otherwise SHOW YOUR TATTOOS!

honestly if a work place has something against tattoos then i wont work for them.
    Its one question i ask in any interview is what their opinion is with tattoos/piercings and hair colours....